Enhance the Brickpicker Database

This may not be a competition but I am deadly curious as to where this list lies right now.... :spiteful:

Well you did a 20,000+ BP jump in a day :)  I need to create a new association, BPA (BrickPoints Anonymous).  Great work, but please get some sleep :)

totalUpdates   Name

3864                 Grolim

3790                 DoNotInsertIntoMouth

3511                 TheOrcKing

992                   mikeur86

884                   MartinP

622                   comicblast

443                   seapotato

364                   ctoddlight

310                   idunno101

298                   Huskers1236

229                   Fcbarcelona101

Well you did a 20,000+ BP jump in a day :)  I need to create a new association, BPA (BrickPoints Anonymous).  Great work, but please get some sleep :)

totalUpdates   Name

That is a total of 15,307 updates according to those numbers. If 10 points are given away for each update, then 153,070 points were given away. That is amazing. Keep up the good work.

Well you did a 20,000+ BP jump in a day :)  I need to create a new association, BPA (BrickPoints Anonymous).  Great work, but please get some sleep :)totalUpdates   Name

How you guys find so much time for this is beyond me. Sure, I've spent my fair and more, of hours on BP, bit I cannot fathom spending 6x or more updating stuff. :/

Good work everyone! I can only imagine how far behind I will fall during the school year...

How you guys find so much time for this is beyond me. Sure, I've spent my fair and more, of hours on BP, bit I cannot fathom spending 6x or more updating stuff. :/

Good work everyone! I can only imagine how far behind I will fall during the school year...

Tell me about it. I will be sooooo far behind when school starts. I still have two weeks till school. I should start updating more now.

Honestly, I can't talk for Golim or Orc, but I would assume they are like me and have a job dealing with computers. I spend 9 hours or more a day at work on a computer and then spend a decent amount of my home life on one as well doing stuff. So data entry is a breeze. Honestly after you get in a groove, it gets relaxing almost.

Grolim can tell you more though - he is faster than I can even imagine. I basically grind it out while he was just racing. lol

Tell me about it. I will be sooooo far behind when school starts. I still have two weeks till school. I should start updating more now.

Lol. School starts tomorrow...

Honestly, I can't talk for Golim or Orc, but I would assume they are like me and have a job dealing with computers. I spend 9 hours or more a day at work on a computer and then spend a decent amount of my home life on one as well doing stuff. So data entry is a breeze. Honestly after you get in a groove, it gets relaxing almost.

Grolim can tell you more though - he is faster than I can even imagine. I basically grind it out while he was just racing. lol

I see... I need to get a job like that! It does get relaxing once you make up a pattern, but once your eyes start to burn from the screen, it ain't so fun.

Lol. School starts tomorrow...

I see... I need to get a job like that! It does get relaxing once you make up a pattern, but once your eyes start to burn from the screen, it ain't so fun.

Man it feels weird - I have been out of school for two years now. Just weird to think I would normally be getting ready for it. It's funny, because time seems different. You usually measure things by summer break christmas break, etc. Not anymore.

totalUpdates   Name

YES!!!! I'M IN THE TOP THREE BABY, WHOOHOO!!!! :yahoo:

....Ahem. Anywho, a few more and I'll be caught up with my favorite Kiwi. Ha. Yes, Jeff, I did get some sleep finally. Now to do it again! :lol:

Along the lines of what DoNotInsertIntoMouth stated, entering the data is fine although tedious; it's the research part that takes the most time. Also it's awkward sometimes trying to remember all the browser windows you have open when you need to go back and forth for data.

YES!!!! I'M IN THE TOP THREE BABY, WHOOHOO!!!! :yahoo:

....Ahem. Anywho, a few more and I'll be caught up with my favorite Kiwi. Ha. Yes, Jeff, I did get some sleep finally. Now to do it again! :lol:

Along the lines of what DoNotInsertIntoMouth stated, entering the data is fine although tedious; it's the research part that takes the most time. Also it's awkward sometimes trying to remember all the browser windows you have open when you need to go back and forth for data.

Ha definitely. I kept accidentally clicking the x on my tabs. SOOOO irritating.

I started by entering a lot of data I already had.  I collected a lot of weights and measures when researching for blogs/reviews.  It was very quick to put it in a nice format that let me step through and enter the data.  It really was very fast.  I probably spent about 10-15 hours on it at different speeds in total.

I've kind of stopped for the last few days.  Felt a little guilty at all the BPs I was getting  :hmm:

I started by entering a lot of data I already had.  I collected a lot of weights and measures when researching for blogs/reviews.  It was very quick to put it in a nice format that let me step through and enter the data.  It really was very fast.  I probably spent about 10-15 hours on it at different speeds in total.

I've kind of stopped for the last few days.  Felt a little guilty at all the BPs I was getting  :hmm:

Lol - yeah its good to let others do some stuff too.

You must have a killer ctrl+c and ctrl+v. Fastest draw in the west.

Jeff, I don't know if this could work as I don't know how BP's database is set up, but since I recently did something that could look a little bit like what you are trying to accomplish here I thought it could help.

Have you heard about web scrapping? It could come useful if you take a site's data near 100% reliable. You could find some of the missing information from one of these reliable sites and collect it - with authorization - for BP's database. Hell, you could even double check current information and see if there are significant differences for sets and flag those items for further review.

If it works I could give you a hand and blow everyone away in improving the database :D

Jeff, I don't know if this could work as I don't know how BP's database is set up, but since I recently did something that could look a little bit like what you are trying to accomplish here I thought it could help.

Have you heard about web scrapping? It could come useful if you take a site's data near 100% reliable. You could find some of the missing information from one of these reliable sites and collect it - with authorization - for BP's database. Hell, you could even double check current information and see if there are significant differences for sets and flag those items for further review.

If it works I could give you a hand and blow everyone away in improving the database :D

Thank you, I very much appreciate that offer.  I could have scraped websites a long time ago, but I don't really want to do that. Also, if I just ask, chances are, most of the site owners would give the info.  Huw from Brickset has been generous as well as Nathan from Rebrickable.  I have downloaded the Bricklink database that they offer and have filled in a lot of the blanks for the set dimensions and weights.  The newer sets were never the issue, I am hoping over time, that the older information will get filled.  A lot of what this exercise was though without really mentioning it at first is starting to help people get Brickpoints to either 1) pick a set from the store or 2) Build points to use in the Brick Classifieds.    I was hoping the hundreds of people would help and share the wealth.  That overall is not happening, but hopefully over time, more people that are vintage collectors and may have some older sets will help fill in those hard to find spots.

Sometime this week, I will release a set index page to show the sets that need certain things that will hopefully narrow down what needs to be found. But it will start to get much harder now since the information that will be gathered really will not be on any of the sites.

Sometime this week, I will release a set index page to show the sets that need certain things that will hopefully narrow down what needs to be found. But it will start to get much harder now since the information that will be gathered really will not be on any of the sites.

Well, even better that you have contacts that have allowed you to share that information in a more direct way.

That was also another thing that I wanted to ask, if you had the chance to display what information was needed for them sets.

Great minds think alike.