Enhance the Brickpicker Database

I guess my thinking is that if you are holding the box in your hands looking at the front cover in the right way around, the width measurement is how wide you are holding your arms open.  That's usually the biggest size on most standard Lego boxes.  Length is then how long does it extend away from you.

Doesn't really matter though I guess, as calculating shipping it will not matter if it's either way  :thumbsup:

I guess my thinking is that if you are holding the box in your hands looking at the front cover in the right way around, the width measurement is how wide you are holding your arms open.  That's usually the biggest size on most standard Lego boxes.  Length is then how long does it extend away from you.

Doesn't really matter though I guess, as calculating shipping it will not matter if it's either way  :thumbsup:

No go back and edit ALL the ones you have done!!!!

MUHAHAHAHA :shocked:

I don't know why they don't put a picture or words on the 'front' of the box to show what the orientation should be.  Since LEGO boxes open on the sides, and all of these show openings at the top, essentially what we mostly have are TALL boxes laying on their sides, making the HEIGHT the width of your arms as you're holding it to properly look at the image on the front, lol.

Here is how the boxes should be measured, or look at the dimensions to see how they look. If you have a height of 11 inches on a small set, something is wrong.

measureboxes1.jpg

I don't know why they don't put a picture or words on the 'front' of the box to show what the orientation should be.  Since LEGO boxes open on the sides, and all of these show openings at the top, essentially what we mostly have are TALL boxes laying on their sides, making the HEIGHT the width of your arms as you're holding it to properly look at the image on the front, lol.

I don't open Lego boxes like that. I chainsaw them open

Here is how the boxes should be measured, or look at the dimensions to see how they look. If you have a height of 11 inches on a small set, something is wrong.

measureboxes1.jpg

THANK YOU, JEFF! :bow: Now to memorize it....LWH....LWH....LWH....

I think Brickset has the measurements wrong then, look at the listed numbers for the Minecraft set on the site.

4.8 x 5.6 x 4.8 in

Isn't the box 5.6 inches high? So why is it in the middle? Shouldn't it read like this.

4.8 x 4.8 x 5.6 in

Or do they measure differently over at Brickset? I'm confused and think I messed up on a few, dang it.

Looks like it's back up now.

Not sure about Brickset, Orc.  I've been using Bricklink as I find their weights more accurate.  They have 12 x 12 x 14 (4.7 x 5.7 x 5.5) for Minecraft.

I would have used Bricklink last night but a white page came up saying the site was down for scheduled maintenance or something. No matter, I'm getting a hang of things now. :)

Now I just want to confirm that everyone says this is correct.  I know it can be judged several ways, but I am seeing inconsistencies in submissions.  So before I start negating some of these I want to make sure most are in agreement about this.

If that is the correct way for measurements then box height could be considered its depth. (At least in my mind it would make more sense that way.)
  • Like 1

Now I just want to confirm that everyone says this is correct.  I know it can be judged several ways, but I am seeing inconsistencies in submissions.  So before I start negating some of these I want to make sure most are in agreement about this.

That is what I am doing from now.  Yesterdays submission I had length and width the other way as that's the order bricklink has it and it made sense in my brain.  But my brain has now switched to the consensus  :turned:  :D

If that is the correct way for measurements then box height could be considered its depth. (At least in my mind it would make more sense that way.)

I have updated the graphic and the page to say height/depth

Honestly, the only reason I have it stuck in my head this way and when I looked at Bricksets page that is the way it appeared to me.  Its also the way I thought you would look at a shipping container/box and you lay it down flat to put it in a box most of the time.

57.6 x 38.4 x 9.6 cm 

(22.7 x 15.1 x 3.8 in)

Length  x  Width  x Height

So that is how I rolled :)

Honestly, the only reason I have it stuck in my head this way and when I looked at Bricksets page that is the way it appeared to me.  Its also the way I thought you would look at a shipping container/box and you lay it down flat to put it in a box most of the time.

Okay, now that makes sense. Looking and measuring the box as if it were on its back/bottom instead of a side.

Man, this is more confusing than 3D graphics. :wacko:

I have updated the graphic and the page to say height/depth

57.6 x 38.4 x 9.6 cm 

(22.7 x 15.1 x 3.8 in)

Length  x  Width  x Height

So that is how I rolled :)

I'm down with it.

Guest eightbrick

I would have used Bricklink last night but a white page came up saying the site was down for scheduled maintenance or something. No matter, I'm getting a hang of things now. :)

Every day the site goes offline for a couple minutes.

Every day the site goes offline for a couple minutes.

I have seen that page where the site loads up and a page says the site is under temporary maintenance but this time was different with a completely blank page giving an actual date and clock timeframe for downtime. I wish I took a screenshot now.

Quick question about size dimensions, should I even bother with the numbers behind the decimal?

For example:

12.45 x 10.8 x 21.06

It is precise I suppose but possibly not needed really?

Additional:

I found two set pages for the Legends of Chima Brickmaster set.

First / Second

I added info to the second one since it used the item number.

Noticed same thing with Minifigures Character Encyclopedia; two different pages. Not sure which one I did add info for now.

So less than 48 hours in to doing this, we have over 6500+ updates in the database.  I would suggest that some people when reviewing data that they look to make sure that the dimensions are correct.  Things will slip by, people may have reversed numbers, etc.  So even though the number is filled in, it may need to be updated.

Here is a quick snapshot of a few of our dedicated data gatherers.

Updates Member                          Total Brickpoints Earned
1974       Grolim                             19,740

1036       DoNotInsertIntoMouth     10,360
992         mikeur86                          9,920

580         MartinP                             5,800

386         TheOrcKing                      3,860

333         ctoddlight                         3,330

298         Huskers1236                    2,980

257         comicblast                        2,570

193         Fcbarcelona101               1,930
163         idunno101                        1,630