Enhance the Brickpicker Database

Hey so I found this pretty cool site called toysperiod.com

There is a LEGO Set Reference section and basically it has info on every set available. Can find UPC numbers, weight, dimensions etc.  Anyways I thought I would share because I have found quite a few bits of info from the list of sets needing updates that Jeff sent out.

There is a LEGO Set Reference section and basically it has info on every set available. Can find UPC numbers, weight, dimensions etc.  Anyways I thought I would share because I have found quite a few bits of info from the list of sets needing updates that Jeff sent out.

Very interesting. I might use the site.

I have been using that site. We probably should all share sites we use - good idea Mike. That site doesn't have everything, but it is really good and it matches Brickset. I use in this order:

Brickset - Dimensions, UPC, Weight, Retirement dates, US and EU prices, Pieces

ToysPeriod - Dimensions, UPC, Weight, pieces

Brickipedia - Prices for non EU and US prices

Amazon product page - as a backup can find most of this stuff.

I have been using that site. We probably should all share sites we use - good idea Mike. That site doesn't have everything, but it is really good and it matches Brickset. I use in this order:

Brickset - Dimensions, UPC, Weight, Retirement dates, US and EU prices, Pieces

ToysPeriod - Dimensions, UPC, Weight, pieces

Brickipedia - Prices for non EU and US prices

Amazon product page - as a backup can find most of this stuff.

I use all those sites, and bricklink.com.

That is a nice site.  They have scans of instructions manuals for older LEGO sets too.  Interestingly, the newest set they had in their database is from 2010.

You should now see the number of prices that have been entered (5 out of 12, 0 out of 12).  

I will add a photo option in time as well as a few others.

Its getting harder and harder to find sets without information. I thought about searching for some of the older sets on ebay to see if the UPC on the box can be found in their picture lol

Yes, it will get hard, I know the information will start to trickle in over time, but hopefully if people can help spread the word that we are looking for this information, hopefully out of all the members we can get some UPC, prices and dimensions.

You should now see the number of prices that have been entered (5 out of 12, 0 out of 12).  

Yes, it will get hard, I know the information will start to trickle in over time, but hopefully if people can help spread the word that we are looking for this information, hopefully out of all the members we can get some UPC, prices and dimensions.

Plus with all these free Halo Megablocks Ed is giving out...

Some of the promo items are trully free (ie. never been sold by TLG or any official retail outlets), so there will never be any MSRP / prices for them.  That should cut down the list by a little bit :)

Plus with all these free Halo Megablocks Ed is giving out...

Haha, I didn't know if you were kidding or not so I checked... The Troll strikes again! :D

Back on topic. That's a whole lot of data to get for the database. I'm sure we'll pull through though! And, there are some sets that will just never be updated.

Here, this is the first set I just entered. Looks good.  Value is going through the roof:

Mega-Bloks-Halo-halo-33118262-1500-1500.

Lol

Haha, I didn't know if you were kidding or not so I checked... The Troll strikes again! :D

Back on topic. That's a whole lot of data to get for the database. I'm sure we'll pull through though! And, there are some sets that will just never be updated.

Ed said it first, so really it was troll by proxy. Lol

Thank you for the link. I can't recall coming across that one but it looks good so far. Only thing I am not finding is retails (any of them). Aside from that, it is a welcome addition to the pool of research resources.

Ed and I were talking and we may change the point structure to add more points to the older sets that are harder to find info for and lessen the newer sets that is very readily available and I could have obtained quite easily. Just a heads up, hopefully it doesn't upset anyone.

Just wondering, how old does a set need be for it to be classified as old? I mean, trying to find all retails and other details for sets far back as even five years ago can get tricky. It's getting difficult to find retails for sets from even last year as some have already been retired. I take it the older the set is, the more possible Brickpoints there can be earned?

I thought 1 point was fair.  10 points was a little crazy and just felt "wrong"  :hmm:

That's cause your a super data wiz, dude! You had us smoked for the first few days....and then I joined the fray. post-2081-0-79199500-1369727566.gif I guess 5 is alright but I did like a nice 10. I suppose it's my fault now the system changed, isn't it? Dang it.

post-2081-0-79199500-1369727566.gif

Just wondering, how old does a set need be for it to be classified as old? I mean, trying to find all retails and other details for sets far back as even five years ago can get tricky. It's getting difficult to find retails for sets from even last year as some have already been retired. I take it the older the set is, the more possible Brickpoints there can be earned?

That's cause your a super data wiz, dude! You had us smoked for the first few days....and then I joined the fray. I guess 5 is alright but I did like a nice 10. I suppose it's my fault now the system changed, isn't it? Dang it.

Brickpoints hoarder :P

I didn't mind checking up the info as I found myself learning about Lego sets more as I went.

I didn't mind checking up the info as I found myself learning about Lego sets more as I went.

You do come across some neat tidbits here and there, I'll admit. I'm a little more knowledgeable about all things Lego (not that I will remember any of it of course :cheese:).

Brickpoints hoarder :P

First I was an Awards hoarder, now I'm a Brickpoints hoarder. Someone better call the show and hold an intervention! :lol:

That's cause your a super data wiz, dude! You had us smoked for the first few days....and then I joined the fray. I guess 5 is alright but I did like a nice 10. I suppose it's my fault now the system changed, isn't it? Dang it.

I am marking sets older than the year 2000 as "old".   Just like other sites, I am not expecting this information to fill up and be complete in little to no time.  It will honestly take people who want to take a little time here or there and may have some very old sets to help enter in these hard sets.  I really don't know how that will go or how long it will take, but the ability is no here to help enter in this info. Do I expect to ever get 100% completion, no.  Not even sure if its possible without help from LEGO itself. 

Jeff,

Just a suggestion - I think it might be good to add that link to "how to measure a box" to each product page next to the dimensions area. It helps a lot when you are entering values but people could still interpret the dimensions incorrectly when looking at the product page to decide how big a box to get, etc. Your picture is awesome - people should see it whether they update the database or not.

Obviously if its a tough change, its very low priority.

Your the man.

I am marking sets older than the year 2000 as "old".   Just like other sites, I am not expecting this information to fill up and be complete in little to no time.  It will honestly take people who want to take a little time here or there and may have some very old sets to help enter in these hard sets.  I really don't know how that will go or how long it will take, but the ability is no here to help enter in this info. Do I expect to ever get 100% completion, no.  Not even sure if its possible without help from LEGO itself. 

How many points will we get for information for sets before the year 2000?