Enhance the Brickpicker Database

Its still 10 before 2000, 5 after

A bit late to voice my opinion, but IMHO all of the easily found information has already entered to the BP database.  What we have left in that list is some of the hardest information to find, regardless of release year.  Changing the amount of awarded Brickpoints now seem to be contrary to what you want to accomplish.  We should be increasing the award / bounty to entice more people to participate :)

A bit late to voice my opinion, but IMHO all of the easily found information has already entered to the BP database.  What we have left in that list is some of the hardest information to find, regardless of release year.  Changing the amount of awarded Brickpoints now seem to be contrary to what you want to accomplish.  We should be increasing the award / bounty to entice more people to participate :)

As I have said many times, I could have grabbed most of this information from new sets on my own, but the goal was to get people Brickpoints.  I thought more would have participated, but kudos to the people that grabbed the opportunity.  Several have said we were too generous.  We have given out over 200k in Brickpoints in less than a week.

The feature is still here, new options will be added in time.  I am tracking everything, so we have talked about handing out bonus awards to people who collect a lot of vintage information.  I hope people want to help the site regardless of Brickpoints.

As I have said many times, I could have grabbed most of this information from new sets on my own, but the goal was to get people Brickpoints.  I thought more would have participated, but kudos to the people that grabbed the opportunity.  Several have said we were too generous.  We have given out over 200k in Brickpoints in less than a week.

The feature is still here, new options will be added in time.  I am tracking everything, so we have talked about handing out bonus awards to people who collect a lot of vintage information.  I hope people want to help the site regardless of Brickpoints.

My suggestion was aimed at getting more people to participate.  I really believe all of the low hanging fruits, the easily available information, has been entered to the BP database.  What we have left in that list represent information that would require more time and research.  Decreasing the awards for more work seems a bit counterintuitive.   

It is just an opinion and will not affect my contribution in any way.  It will still be trickles of information as I have time to do it  :)

My suggestion was aimed at getting more people to participate.  I really believe all of the low hanging fruits, the easily available information, has been entered to the BP database.  What we have left in that list represent information that would require more time and research.  Decreasing the awards for more work seems a bit counterintuitive.   

It is just an opinion and will not affect my contribution in any way.  It will still be trickle of information as I have time to do it  :)

I would like to see a lot more people participating in this. It is a great way to earn brickpoints. Also, as the data for the newer sets starts to be filled in, the older sets will get harder to fill in. If more people participate, I think a lot more data would be filled in.

I am marking sets older than the year 2000 as "old".   Just like other sites, I am not expecting this information to fill up and be complete in little to no time.  It will honestly take people who want to take a little time here or there and may have some very old sets to help enter in these hard sets.  I really don't know how that will go or how long it will take, but the ability is no here to help enter in this info. Do I expect to ever get 100% completion, no.  Not even sure if its possible without help from LEGO itself.

Alrighty then. Everything before 2000 is considered old (much like I am).

I found about 20 boxes from the late 80s, so hopefully I can get the dimensions uploaded in the next few days. :)

Now that's what I call being super helpful. ^_^ Actually this just brought up a question in my mind, how many people here have measured a set they own when entering the data? I've done it myself for some polybags and a couple of odd sets.

Alrighty then. Everything before 2000 is considered old (much like I am).

Now that's what I call being super helpful. ^_^ Actually this just brought up a question in my mind, how many people here have measured a set they own when entering the data? I've done it myself for some polybags and a couple of odd sets.

I haven't. Only because the sets I have don't have the box, or the dimensions have already been filled out.

This has happened a few times. Please don't put EAN in for UPC.  Unless there are some retail masters here that can tell me that they are one and the same, don't put in the the letters EAN. I use this information to run matches.   It will not help if it has nothing to do with UPC and those extra letters will not allow me to match or join, etc. 

...how many people here have measured a set they own when entering the data? I've done it myself for some polybags and a couple of odd sets.

I do it whenever I have a set handy, and I've found slight discrepancies between the previously entered weights and dimensions and the ones I'm measuring once or twice.  I use my shipping scale and tape measure.  Polybags seem tough to measure.  Is there no depth?

Polybags seem tough to measure.  Is there no depth?

Yeah, depth is a wierd one for a plastic baggie. Best way for me I found was to lay the polybag on it's back, try to 'smooth' it out by spreading the pieces within making it about as flat as I can, then place a ruler beside it and basically 'eyeball' where the top side peaks in general. I give or take a centimeter due to lumps and find an average depth that looks about right. There probably is a more scientific method for doing this but this gives me an answer I'm satisfied with.

How many updates did you do? There might be a minimum requirement to get it, though it isn't really specified in the Awards page.

IIRC I did several price/UPC updates for something like 8-10 sets. Overall I think I submitted form 70-100 fields.

Did you put on your database cape? You have to have a cape to be a hero.

Or some super-duper spandex briefs!

Dang it, no more database enhancing while nude then xD!

BTW, someone granted me the award  :wub: