Enhance the Brickpicker Database

There's another thing, will people receive a little notification their submitted data was approved and how many points they get? I'm sending a few but wonder if I am helping or not.

Yes you will receive notification. You will get them here on the forum in your notification tab.  I will eventually create a log page for you to view all the sets and items that have been submitted and approved.

Grolim is out of control.  I think he has earned over 9,000 brickpoints and I still have over 100 submissions to go yet.  This has been in less than 24 hours yet.

I just noticed that he has over 20,000 brickpoints. Yesterday he had like 9,000. He has been doing a lot.

Well we have hit 3,000 database additions (30,000 brickpoints distributed).  

For those of you who have asked me, the things you are helping to update such as retired info and size/weight info, those details will be added in a little bit as I do some work on the price guide template.

Well we have hit 3,000 database additions (30,000 brickpoints distributed).  

For those of you who have asked me, the things you are helping to update such as retired info and size/weight info, those details will be added in a little bit as I do some work on the price guide template.

So once we enter in information that previously was not on the set information pages, where does it then show up? In particular, I'm wondering about set retirement dates and whether a set is retired or not.

I already made a comment about that.

Well yes and no.  Yes because I know people want to get more information in and make the site better.  Ed and I wanted to get more opportunities for people to collect points for Brick Classifieds as well.  This way the opportunity to list sets for free and have no commission is available.  I know its not the most exciting thing in the world, but this is what I did by myself for a few months before even one thing of code was written for the front end of this site.   I started with my admin area and then spent months digging up data, images, etc.  So this is a big help and the brickpoints will help the members out very soon.  The information that is being collected will be quite useful in many ways for the site as well.

I think there will be a lot more options coming with this.  Minifigures could be a huge addition.  The backbone of the site is the price guide and set information.  The investing aspect is also a major component, but if we get the members checking and double checking the basic information and making sure it is correct, it gives us a lot more credibility.  I think once Jeff modifies the Price/set guide page, the EOL information can be a huge improvement and a major site feature.

• Like 2

Grolim is out of control.  I think he has earned over 9,000 brickpoints and I still have over 100 submissions to go yet.  This has been in less than 24 hours yet.

Yeah sorry about that :D  Was a shock to see over 1000 notifications waiting for me this morning  :shocked:   When I get on a data entry tear I go a bit nuts.   I already had a lot of the weights and dimensions collected from when I used them in some blog articles so that made it a bit easier. Still have a bit to go... :hot: 

Will be great having all this info on the site.  The weights and dimensions will be excellent for Brick Classified so we can get shipping prices, plus we can calculate things like Price per Gram in reviews and blogs.  That EOL info will be super useful as well.

Jeff - one small thing.  I noticed on the pricing input part that New Zealand was listed but the currency comes up as "DNK" which is Denmark listed twice.  The Weight (kg) also comes up as pounds when it shows in green after approval.

How are the admins going to keep up with reviewing all the entries?  Seems like it's going to grow into a full time job on its own.

We had similar issues on the Marvel Database Wiki, where at a certain point we didn't have enough reviewers to go over all the changes, and had to open it up to public entry, spot checking new members and looking for odd entries.  Of course, getting Spider-Man's height wrong has pretty different reprecussions compared to set dimensions that translate to shipping costs...

Also can we please agree that the width dimension should be the biggest of the three (W x L x H).  I've seen a few where Height was the largest dimension.  To me when you hold a standard box the width is the biggest measure.  There may be a few exceptions to that but for the main it should be consistent.

Also can we please agree that the width dimension should be the biggest of the three (W x L x ****).  I've seen a few where Height was the largest dimension.  To me when you hold a standard box the width is the biggest measure.  There may be a few exceptions to that but for the main it should be consistent.

Hmm, I have been doing Length the biggest. I mean really those two are interchangeable - height shouldn't be the biggest.

Guest idunno101

Yeah, me too. To me I think that length and width can be looked at either way what really matters is that the height is the right number.