9516 - Jabba's Palace

Brick625

I saw about 10 of these at the LEGO Store in San Jose last night, 5 at 1 of the TRUs, and 1 at a Target. Other Targets and Wal Marts in this area appear to be out of stock. I've got enough of these at the moment, so I didn't grab any.

Starting to regret not grabbing a couple of these when I was at Walmart this week, for the shelf price of $95. Guessing they are all gone now. How can people be so confident that Lego will continue pumping these out for the rest of 2013? None of the quotes I have read explicitly say that - I can imagine a scenario where they just get rid of what they have on hand in warehouses, and then let it die. Also, for those predicting them restocked on retail shelves, most of the Targets/Walmarts in my area have pretty limited space for big sets. With Sail Barge and the Republic Gunship coming out, and Malevolence still on the market, I can't imagine most stores making room to carry that many big sets. One of my local Walmarts stopped carrying Jabba's Palace right after Christmas, along with the MF, and Malevolence. Anyway, I am thinking I will try to pick up one or two more now if I can find any. You never know.

I'm just not sure why anyone thinks they are going to make a lot of money on this when it will be back in stock at Amazon and possibly others very shortly and it never went out of stock at LEGO Shop at Home. If it goes out of stock at LEGO Shop at Home maybe I will take notice but I just don't see the rush to grab up this set at full price right now. LEGO's own press release says they are going to continue production until the end of 2013. We've got 8 more months of this being produced.

I had one bought during the Amazon sale recently and then bought two more from the lego store at full retail. I did get double VIP points which helped a little. My thinking is the downside is pretty small really. At worst I didn't get the best price for this and maybe will have to hold them longer to make my money back but I believe the upside is worth it personally. The downside is small and if for some reason this goes EOL quickly the value will go up fast due it quickly being gone and the novelty of the interesting situation this set has gone through. This is just my opinion obviously but it's hard to see a real negative to grabbing some at retail and seeing what happens.

Legodog, I am wondering whether they will really do that. If they have a ton of stock on hand, then I could see them just filling orders for the next couple of months, then quietly EOL'ing it. Of course that is a complete guess just like we all are doing. I do agree that if it shows as sold out at S @ **** then I will take notice a bit more. I wouldn't pay full retail, but I do think that random Walmart markdown shelf price to $95 is worth doing.

My thoughts are that if everyone keeps buying them up so quickly LEGO will just make more and more. They may even extend the life of this and retire it in mid to late 2014 instead (remember they are not retiring it because of the controversy or so they say). It could turn out to be a great seller for LEGO and there may just be so many out there it will keep secondary values from rising too much in the future. Like I stated in a previous post I have 3 of these and I do hope this is not the case. I'm mainly just brainstorming the possibilities at this point. The flip side is because it is getting a lot of attention more pressure gets put on LEGO to retire this even sooner and they cease production right away and we all make a nice profit in the future. In any case maybe cohens714's thinking is right. Grab them just in case. The reward may be greater than the risk.

My thoughts are that if everyone keeps buying them up so quickly LEGO will just make more and more. They may even extend the life of this and retire it in mid to late 2014 instead (remember they are not retiring it because of the controversy or so they say). It could turn out to be a great seller for LEGO and there may just be so many out there it will keep secondary values from rising too much in the future. Like I stated in a previous post I have 3 of these and I do hope this is not the case. I'm mainly just brainstorming the possibilities at this point.

The flip side is because it is getting a lot of attention more pressure gets put on LEGO to retire this even sooner and they cease production right away and we all make a nice profit in the future.

In any case maybe cohens714's thinking is right. Grab them just in case. The reward may be greater than the risk.

I can see a scenario in which LEGO continues to sell the set and the rest of the big box stores say no thank you, we don't need the potential headaches.

Anyone looking to do a quick flip on these might want to wait. The last couple days they have only been selling for an average $120-130 on eBay with the occasional one fetching $140-150. May not be too bad if you only paid $88 or so but if you paid full price then eBay and PayPal fees will leave you with no profit.

I can see a scenario in which LEGO continues to sell the set and the rest of the big box stores say no thank you, we don't need the potential headaches.

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like this set was already being cleared off the shelves at some places. With all the new sets coming out and the controversy I can see how some big box stores wont reorder this from LEGO.

Anyone looking to do a quick flip on these might want to wait. The last couple days they have only been selling for an average $120-130 on eBay with the occasional one fetching $140-150. May not be too bad if you only paid $88 or so but if you paid full price then eBay and PayPal fees will leave you with no profit.

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like this set was already being cleared off the shelves at some places. With all the new sets coming out and the controversy I can see how some big box stores wont reorder this from LEGO.

Right? I mean why bother restocking this set when there are plenty of other sets that can replace it?

I'm hoping that this becomes the case. If the set becomes exclusive to Lego shop at home and Lego stores only, it will be much more rare and have that much more potential once retired.

One of the really sad things with fiasco is that people are paying full price at TRU, who doesn't deserve to get their 17% markup over retail price. They are sold out online and many of the stores around me show as having no stock. Just awful.

I just want to play devil's advocate here....when I sell mine it will be for a minimum 30% markup. Do I deserve my 30% markup?

I just want to play devil's advocate here....when I sell mine it will be for a minimum 30% markup. Do I deserve my 30% markup?

Are you a retailer getting discounted prices from Lego and listing the retail price at $149.99 and then telling people the item is on sale at $139.99? If so, then my answer is "no".

Are you a retailer getting discounted prices from Lego and listing the retail price at $149.99 and then telling people the item is on sale at $139.99? If so, then my answer is "no".

Oh please, some people got this for $85 from Amazon last week, and could easily list it on their eBay store for $180 yesterday, and mark it discounted for $140 next week. How is that any different ?

Oh please, some people got this for $85 from Amazon last week, and could easily list it on their eBay store for $180 yesterday, and mark it discounted for $140 next week. How is that any different ?

AGAIN...are those people retailers getting their supply directly from Lego at a huge discount? Probably not.

Are they adjusting their prices due to market conditions? Absolutely.

Does TRU adjust their prices do to market conditions? No

My point is that there is a big difference selling things over retail in a secondary market versus selling them in retail chain and claiming they are doing us a favor. Moving on....

I just want to play devil's advocate here....when I sell mine it will be for a minimum 30% markup. Do I deserve my 30% markup?Are you a retailer getting discounted prices from Lego and listing the retail price at $149.99 and then telling people the item is on sale at $139.99? If so, then my answer is "no".Oh please, some people got this for $85 from Amazon last week, and could easily list it on their eBay store for $180 yesterday, and mark it discounted for $140 next week. How is that any different ?AGAIN...are those people retailers getting their supply directly from Lego at a huge discount? Probably not.

Are they adjusting their prices due to market conditions? Absolutely.

Does TRU adjust their prices do to market conditions? No

My point is that there is a big difference selling things over retail in a secondary market versus selling them in retail chain and claiming they are doing us a favor. Moving on....

Who made it the requirement that prices need to follow the market conditions ? Anyone here can list their JP stock for $900 on eBay for perpetuity. If the market / buyers say it is a deal then they will buy, if not then those JP will stay there for a long time (and being mocked by some of us).

Is it in the sellers best interest to price per market condition ? Most of the time, yes. Is it required ? absolutely NOT

My point is sellers can set whatever price they want. If it is too high then no buyer will pay for it and items will not sell. In the case of TRU obviously their client base do not mind paying their price.