9516 - Jabba's Palace

Brick625

In reference to some earlier conversations about TRU overcharging and such, I would just like to add that if people are silly enough to pay that high of price for the set, then they deserve whatever happens to them. Obviously, they are educated enough about the current situation with the 9516 Jabba's Palace to want to buy one for investment purposes, yet they are not smart enough to do a quick Google search and find a site like ours to see what you should spend. Lazy IMO.

I just want to play devil's advocate here....when I sell mine it will be for a minimum 30% markup. Do I deserve my 30% markup?

Are you a retailer getting discounted prices from Lego and listing the retail price at $149.99 and then telling people the item is on sale at $139.99? If so, then my answer is "no".

No, but just like TRU I'm free to operate my business how I choose. And trust me, I do own a very successful business and I'm charging an outrageous amount for what I'm doing for my customer this week. I choose my prices, they choose to pay, I provide the value that they want.

TRU can price things however they choose, and customers can choose to not do business with them. Are you proposing that there should be some kind of rule in place that limits what a business can charge for its goods and services?

Seems like we could extend this weak argument to LEGO itself. They pay relatively a very small amount for the inputs they use to create the sets, and the designers that come up with the sets. Should there be a limit to what they can charge as well?

WalMart and Amazon don't have low prices because they're charitable organizations. One of the ways they can offer the prices that they do is by not paying people enough to survive (not saying that TRU doesn't do exactly the same).

All I'm saying is there are plenty of reasons to not do business with many retailers. For example I don't like WalMart because they keep prices low by paying people crappy wages and then encouraging them to use social services. It's a choice to how they operate their business, and I have a choice to not shop there. In this case their choices in terms of how they pay people isn't a strong enough reason for me to avoid them.

Here's another wrinkle on this thread's main question - if you could get one of these at $90 but it has a slightly crushed corner (all seals still in place and only one corner crushed), would this be a smart buy? Or pass and hope it comes down in price again?

In reference to some earlier conversations about TRU overcharging and such, I would just like to add that if people are silly enough to pay that high of price for the set, then they deserve whatever happens to them. Obviously, they are educated enough about the current situation with the 9516 Jabba's Palace to want to buy one for investment purposes, yet they are not smart enough to do a quick Google search and find a site like ours to see what you should spend. Lazy IMO.

I couldn't agree more. I am in San Jose at the moment, and last night I hit a local Toy Store who had a Slave 1 for $49.99. They were trying to move it and so they had it at 50% off their original price of $99.99, which is above what they set originally sold for. Now, if I had seen this at $99.99 last night, there's not a chance I would have bought it, and I certainly could go to eBay and buy it for even more right now if I wanted to. People who shop at TRU are making a similar choice in that they are saying I'm not going worry about doing the research to see if I can get this for a lower price somewhere else. People who are paying ~$200 for Jabba's Palace at the moment are basically making the same choice, which is "I will pay more, so that I can be lazy".

How lucky!!!

Some luck.... and a lot of footwork.

Crazy thing was having three different managers price match their online price of $87.99 when their policy states it has to be in stock to do any price matches. 5% off in addition for Red Card.

That price matching and 5% really can help you get a good deal. Also you can choose what box you want versus having to get it shipped from an online website like Amazon. Very happy Target decided to make price matching a year round thing.

picked up one today at wm for 95. Had 5 more but resisted. Just not sure on this.

I think that that was a good choice on not grabbing them all. Though similar to the Minecraft rush, I doubt that this one will last quite as long. I am going to guess that the hype will be over in 2-3 weeks.

Went looking for one today. Toys R Us was out. Target had a single one left, though I paid full price for it -- $120. Like with the Haunted House, it just seems like the set has too much going for it NOT to get one. (The minifigs are great.) And, also like with the Haunted House, it's just a cool set. If prices don't go up like we hope over the next several years, I'll just open the damn thing and build it with my kids when Episode VII comes out.

Man, like those articles, this it the thread that just won't DIE!! Heh heh. With the way how Jabba's Palace was there sitting on shelves for the longest time and then the timing of this whole idiotic racial thing, you'd swear it was just one big elaborate publicity stunt. I'll be glad when this whole fiasco is done and over with and hopefully one of the those news stations can finally get their headings right. You know what, I hope Lego produces the set for a whole nother year just to piss of those radicals! Good thing I remembered to stock up on Tylenol, cause, oh boy, am I going to need it.

thanks for posting i got 2 as i had ebay bucks each costing me 92$

Same (insert expletive of choice here) just relisted at $119 with free shipping.

Nothing personal against him. Just want to flip mine before bubble bursts. I fully believe this set will be readily available again, and soon.

Man, like those articles, this it the thread that just won't DIE!! Heh heh.

With the way how Jabba's Palace was there sitting on shelves for the longest time and then the timing of this whole idiotic racial thing, you'd swear it was just one big elaborate publicity stunt. I'll be glad when this whole fiasco is done and over with and hopefully one of the those news stations can finally get their headings right. You know what, I hope Lego produces the set for a whole nother year just to piss of those radicals!

Good thing I remembered to stock up on Tylenol, cause, oh boy, am I going to need it.

Every forum has a thread that goes on forever. I guess this is ours for now lol.