9516 - Jabba's Palace

Brick625

Ed Mack - 02 April 2013 08:42 PM This. We have no idea how this will play out. Stores want to avoid any sort of political incorrectness. For all we know, LEGO can sell out of their inventory of this set and move on.

I think this should be a non-event. It has more life on Lego forums than in real life. Honestly I can't imagine what those Turkish Austrians are thinking. The Hagia Sofia was originally a Christian Basilica for over 1,000 years, then became a Mosque for almost 500 years, then in 1935 became a museum where worship was prohibited! TLG's comments are all about how the set images were misinterpreted by the 'Turkish Cultural Association of Austria'.

There are ten times the comments here on Brickpicker than any of the four other news articles I've read on this subject except for the cbslocal news in Connecticut where there are over 600 comments, almost entirely about muslim terrorists. Lego to Stop Production of Star Wars Set Due to Anti-Muslim Backlash

Unfortunately, there can be investment bubbles on even one item and if enough people believe in it, then it certainly will happen.

This article says Lego isn't stopping production but also talks about Walmart and Target already being sold out online. Lego is NOT pulling Jabba's Palace due to a controversy

It will be interesting to see if this blows up bigger or dies away.

Those aren't that outrageous. Pretty high to be sure but not so much compared to some prior listings of $1,000 or more. Ugh, I really hope this whole stupid thing blows over and things can go back to normal. The way this is getting dragged out, I swear I'll shoot anything with Jabba's name on it. Sheesh....

If you have the money and are still getting them for 87.99 at Target then why not pick them up? I think it is the lowest we will ever see them and they will definitely be good sellers later on anyways.

There is no reason NOT to pick them up at a discount. My caution was to investors to not buy them at retail or higher. Because what will happen is if they restock these and they are readily available they will drop drastically in price. Possibly even below the $87.99 price you are getting them for. It is all about supply and demand. Right now there are 434 matches for a new "Lego 9516" on eBay. Over 100 more than there was yesterday. Imagine if these come back in stock for $88 at Amazon, Target and others. Which is a very good possibility since LEGO is not stopping production on them until 2014. Those prices will plummet on eBay because there will be too many of them and not enough demand. Everyone will start undercutting the next guy to recoup their money and so on and so on.

There is no reason NOT to pick them up at a discount. My caution was to investors to not buy them at retail or higher. Because what will happen is if they restock these and they are readily available they will drop drastically in price. Possibly even below the $87.99 price you are getting them for. It is all about supply and demand. Right now there are 434 matches for a new "Lego 9516" on eBay. Over 100 more than there was yesterday. Imagine if these come back in stock for $88 at Amazon, Target and others. Which is a very good possibility since LEGO is not stopping production on them until 2014. Those prices will plummet on eBay because there will be too many of them and not enough demand. Everyone will start undercutting the next guy to recoup their money and so on and so on.

if buy from a store you can always return no risk and their is a chance you will make a killer

if buy from a store you can always return no risk and their is a chance you will make a killer

Good point. If you buy them buy them from somewhere with a good return policy. If you can't sell them you can return them later.

Amazon has 149 of them back in stock. Apparently they wised up, because they have them back in stock at full retail now.. No discounts. I'l be anxious to see how long they last. I went by Target today and had them call 2 other stores in the area when they didn't have any. Turns out that all 3 showed in stock online, but when they called, none of them were in stock, so if you are going by what their website inventory says, you may not be able to find them. http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-Jabbas-Palace/dp/B007Q0OVCK?SubscriptionId=AKIAJQSYTIGRBKVM26KQ&&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B007Q0OVCK

Maybe I am wrong but assuming you are only buying a few sets what's the real downside even buying them full retail? At worst you might kick yourself a bit because you spent $30 more per set but the upside of this being a hot item because of the buzz and the upcoming confirmed EOL could be much higher. I guess what I am saying is this seems like a classic low risk high reward scenario.

Now only 140 in stock @ Amazon. They are going fast :) Edit: And now only 128 just a couple minutes later. I am guessing these wont last for but an hour. http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-Jabbas-Palace/dp/B007Q0OVCK?SubscriptionId=AKIAJQSYTIGRBKVM26KQ&&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B007Q0OVCK

LOL yup I am refreshing and watching them drop about 3 a minute. I am tempted to pick up another one, especially since Walmart and Toys R Us have removed all listings of this from their website.... Not even a listing that says Out of Stock. Makes me wonder.

Maybe I am wrong but assuming you are only buying a few sets what's the real downside even buying them full retail? At worst you might kick yourself a bit because you spent $30 more per set but the upside of this being a hot item because of the buzz and the upcoming confirmed EOL could be much higher. I guess what I am saying is this seems like a classic low risk high reward scenario.

I agree. This is a set that probably will not be made again...at least not in the near term. It is also a set with quality design and minifigures, plus it has a story to tell. What else do you want from a LEGO set?