9516 - Jabba's Palace

Brick625

It was on NBC News last night. But reading LEGOs update, it going to still be sold (and probably produced) until end of 2013. It's extremely expensive to just stop production on an item before planned EOL. I could even seem them releasing another version in 2014-15 using the same parts in a different configuration.

I was fortunate to pick up 9 of these over the past several months between 80-90 as its been heavily discounted numerous times.

I've sold a small portion of my stock as I wanted to book some nice quick profits just in case they come back in stock. But I will prob. see if any of my local Walmarts or Targets have any left that I can pick up for around 85-90. I think it was the WSJ article that quoted Lego saying they were planning to retire it at the end of 2013. I think it's worth buying as many as you can afford to in the 80-90 range and even at 100-120 its still worth it if this set jumps to 200-250+ the next 12 months or so.

Well, I think the thing is that I don't see this set jumping to more than $200 in the next 2 years. I can see it at $175, and staying there, mainly because so many people have it. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the set. Lots of minifigs, most of them exclusive to this set, etc. BUT, will it do outstanding in the secondary market? I think we are looking at a $50-$75 gain on this one. Decent, but not as good as some other sets that are available right now. Also, who says that the "controversy" over this set will work positively towards this set? Not sure about you guys, but a few months ago, I was a "go with the flow" guy in terms of Legos. People say it is a "racist" and "discriminating" set, I don't buy it. Not sure how many of this type of person are in the Lego market, but if there are enough of them, it could seriously dent the potential in this set.

But seriously what's the word? This thing going EOL or not?

The short and real answer to your question, No. Lego never agreed to actually discontinuing the set earlier than originally planned. Heck, there wasn't so much as anything about recalling the set from stores. It's the Turks that went on this wierd bandwagon of 'Congradulating Lego for stopping production in 2014' when the truth is the Turks pulled that bit from where the sun don't shine.

Will the value go up because of this controversy?

For a time, but that flavor will last about as long as a piece of gum.

I'll probably going to try and get an extra couple tomorrow if I can find it at the between $85 to $90. Even if it continues to be widely available this next few months it will retire this year for sure and allow me to make some money on it fairly quick.

I am going to guess that the Rancor Pit will outlive the Palace, so in that aspect, it could increase demand, assuming the Rancor Pit is popular, which it is, mainly IMO due to it fitting with Jabba's Palace.

I parted out most of the ones I had, but I am tempted to flip the last sealed one I have on Amazon since they are currently going for 160.00. If they stay in production to the end of the year it makes sense to flip now for $40-50 in net profit while people are in panic buying mode.

Is it bad that in want to find this sellers house and blow it up???? I would make sure no one was home of course. I wish I knew why this stuff angers me soooooo much!

He will be the one laughing all the way to the bank if it actually sells. If enough people are in panic buying mode who knows what could happen.

Well, I think the thing is that I don't see this set jumping to more than $200 in the next 2 years. I can see it at $175, and staying there, mainly because so many people have it. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the set. Lots of minifigs, most of them exclusive to this set, etc. BUT, will it do outstanding in the secondary market? I think we are looking at a $50-$75 gain on this one. Decent, but not as good as some other sets that are available right now. Also, who says that the "controversy" over this set will work positively towards this set? Not sure about you guys, but a few months ago, I was a "go with the flow" guy in terms of Legos. People say it is a "racist" and "discriminating" set, I don't buy it. Not sure how many of this type of person are in the Lego market, but if there are enough of them, it could seriously dent the potential in this set.I just got back from a couple more Targets and got the last 6 they had in my area, fortunately they were able to price match their sold out online price of $87.99 plus 5% off with my red card. Those who've been buying for 80-90 are already seeing nice gains of $50-$75 as it's almost at $175 now so I'd be a surprised if it didn't reach at least $200 a year or two from now. I agree it will go back down temporarily if other stores restock.

But I still say buy all you can afford at $80-$90 as this will be EOL anyways soon and at that price is a great value and investment.

There is definitely a huge increase in demands due to the news. I saw the news on Sunday morning and ordered one from Amazon, Amazon still had 617 available at that time. They were all gone in one day!!! Obvious I regret not order more, but 617 sets are more than what ebay has sold in the entire 2012!!! Depends on how many LEGO made throughout the year, it may actually limit the up potential for this set. That being said, no one hates a quick return in profit.

Outrageous that folks are selling them at these prices? Outrageous in that folks are buying them at that price?

I see nothing wrong. Demand has picked up that's all. Price goes up. Whether or not sustainable I have serious doubts, but hey that's for the market to dictate. Sure, there's a perceived scarcity that doesn't really exist, but the average Joe who just read it on a general news website or heard about it from someone else doesn't know that---he just wants one and wants one now.

Who knows how this is going to go down, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the regular retailers stop carrying this set to avoid any backlash, but it will continue to be available for the rest of the year directly from the LEGO site and stores.

This. We have no idea how this will play out. Stores want to avoid any sort of political incorrectness. For all we know, LEGO can sell out of their inventory of this set and move on.