LEGO May the 4th US Specials!!!

Jeff Mack

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the local Lego Store on the 4th at 8:30pm. I saw two guys go up to the counter with a B-Wing each and I just asked what special Star Wars deals there were if any, and I was told that the B-Wing was on sale for 50% off. I had no idea prior to entering the store that it would be discounted. I was told by an employee that the sale would last only two days, and then go back up to regular price. I was also told that it was a loss leader for LEGO, so that's why it was discounted the way it was. They sold about 80 of them that day. The other sales weren't impressive by any means. I've questioned if I should have bought more than one, part of me wishes I had so I could sell one and build the other. We'll see what happens, if I build this or just sell it some day. Either way, I was able to take advantage of a good deal. Originally, I had just went to the store to finish up getting the minifigures I was missing from series 10 but I couldn't resist getting the B-Wing! I was happy to get the Republic Frigate polybag as well as the Han Solo polybag, a poster and comic thrown in for making the purchases. I'm curious to see what happens with the pricing of these B-Wing sets going forward.

Question for everyone who says this is a big time winner: Why? The general consensus right now is that sales were horrible and there is a lot of bad press about it being fragile. I picked up one to build as I felt it was an investment dog even at 50% off. I just don't see how a set that didn't do well at $200 and is now held by a TON of investors is going to be a big time winner in the coming years. Has this happened before (market street maybe?)? Please note that I am not asking a pointed question, I really want to know why people think this set will buck the set's current trajectory years down the road when it's EOL based on the current performance.

Did anyone notice that it is now able to be ordered again for $199 at LEGO Shop at Home? I am still waiting to see if it goes EOL as many of the customer service reps have indicated. ^Tonysbricks, I am a little curious about this myself, it is still an original trilogy, large UCS set, this counts for quite a bit in my book. I am not sure what people's issues with it are, none of the UCS sets can be easily played with, they are just too big, you can't even pick up 10179 without something falling off. I never noticed an issue with 10227 when I checked it out at a friends house, I picked it up and he was showing me all sorts of things on it, I was actually amazed at how strong it was. There are a LOT of casual fans that have no idea that the sale actually happened, many of these folks will happily get the flood of them off of ebay right now since they are going for as little as $160.

Lego is probably figuring that they are going to have to honor the orders for $100, so no sense in not producing a few more if people are willing to pay $200 for it. I wouldn't be surprised if this set was gone completely by this fall, which would be fantastic!

The stock may have something to do with where you live and the location of their distribution centers. Some people were saying they placed their order 10 seconds after midnight and were put on backorder while some people who put their order through 5 minutes after are getting theirs processed already. It might have to do with where you live in relation to the stock on hand of the distribution center nearest to you.

This thread is too long. We need to start a new one.

It's up to number 2 on the "most popular threads" list, but I don't think it's going to have enough steam to take over number 1, still needs 1,000 posts for that.

Just to add to the long list of people who have not seen the confirmation email. I noticed my 2 orders of B-Wings (1 in each) are backordered and I placed my orders approximately 2 minutes and 5 minutes after the sale started. I will call S@H sometime today to hear what they have to say.

It's up to number 2 on the "most popular threads" list, but I don't think it's going to have enough steam to take over number 1, still needs 1,000 posts for that.

Impressive for a thread started just 3 days ago. I think it'll overtake the #1 spot within 1 to 2 weeks, and we are only in the third inning of this May the 4th sales epic saga. Now everyone who ordered b-wings over the weekend (myself included) will want to know when the orders will be shipped and received, so lots of people will be on this thread until then.

I think it will be a winner easily back over 200 by Christmas..

I actually was thinking it would be $200 even before then. Maybe by August, but it is very easy for this one to be back at regular retail by Christmas. Also, if TLG decides to retire the B-Wing (which I would hate because I want to get at least one more), then it will likely be higher than $200!

4 of the 5 Han Solo minifigures have shipped. Which if they decide to cancel the B-Wings, at least I have gotten something for the trouble. I think they will honor the orders though. In retrospect, this set probably should have costed 150 upon release, not 200.

4 of the 5 Han Solo minifigures have shipped. Which if they decide to cancel the B-Wings, at least I have gotten something for the trouble. I think they will honor the orders though. In retrospect, this set probably should have costed 150 upon release, not 200.

Completely agree. This set should of never been priced so high to begin with. At $150 their sales might not have been in the toilet.

Yes with 1400 pieces, it seems unlike TLG to price a UCS set with such a high Price Per Piece. They did price the UCS R2D2 model well though, and it is more popular than the B-Wing, so it seems like the PPP could have something to do with how the set performs.

Just checked S@H again, AND ITS OUTTA HERE!!!!

Totally gone, out of the system, there are done! (whoops, make that a PERIOD, not an exclamation)

you can still search for it and see the results (view picture). however, you see an error msg with a picture (see 2nd pic attached)

note: notice the May 20th expected ship date in the smaller pic...