LEGO May the 4th US Specials!!!

Jeff Mack

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another silver lining. We don't know what will happen in episode 7. I am not as versed on the canon as others on here, but all it will take is the B-Wing being included in a future movie - completely possible - for this to be a potential sleeper hit. I am in the more cautious boat, and only picked up two, but still think there's a chance for this one, especially if it really is EOL in the US (although I agree that seems unlikely).

Another silver lining. We don't know what will happen in episode 7. I am not as versed on the canon as others on here, but all it will take is the B-Wing being included in a future movie - completely possible - for this to be a potential sleeper hit.

I am in the more cautious boat, and only picked up two, but still think there's a chance for this one, especially if it really is EOL in the US (although I agree that seems unlikely).

Great point, didnt even think of the possibility of it being in the new movies. Let's hope.

I also wonder if LEGO makes enough money to compensate for the production by lowering the price on the B-wing this much?

I'm quite certain Lego wouldn't bother offering this set online in such vast quantities if they weren't making some sort of profit on it. In stores as a loss leader? Possibly. But thousands, maybe tens of thousands of sets online at a loss? I'd think the company would have simply left it as "sold out" and put a generic "thanks for your interest, sorry we ran out" type note up as an apology and perhaps dropped a few other sets in price as compensation for everyone who didn't get one before taking a huge bath on B-wings. If anything, I suspect this reveals just how deep the margins are for Lego if they can discount one of their sets 50%, ship it for free, and still make money on it.

I, like many others, had my TRU eBay order cancelled. I decided to send them a piece of my mind... I know nothing will come of it, but I feel better getting it off of my chest.. :) They will be responding to the following: "Dear toysrus, Your canned response does not apply to this situation. I did purchase this item using buy it now, when it was available. Otherwise, how else would I have completed the transaction and paid for the item? If you did not have as many available as were sold then why did you list so many? I sell things on eBay myself and know that if I only have 10 of something, you don't list 20 for sale. I really feel like you are refusing to honor this sale price by cancelling a bunch of orders. Again, I am very disappointed in your business practice here. In the future don't list more items for sale than what you have for sale and you will avoid pissing customers like me off. Again, since I "bought" this item while you were offering it, you should take the high road and offer me a discount when the item comes back in stock, but that would be too nice of a gesture from a company with the reputation that Toys R Us has. This further cements my desire to purchase all of my future items from amazon, even when toys r us has a sale they either (A) will not honor it or (B) jack the retail prices up on things so that the discount is much less than perceived. I really expect some sort of gesture from TRU for this outright shameful treatment. Unfortunately, it looks like I am getting the middle finger. Could you go ahead and point me to a link to cancel my TRU/BRU rewards account? Sincerely, Not going to Shop at TRU any more...." That felt good...

So, did this one case of a set being offered at 50% off suddenly become the worst investment ever? This situation might be able to be saved if it goes EOL after today. I can't imagine Lego expecting to sell another set after this, now that they themselves just loaded up the secondary market with enough of these to last the world until for the next three lego generations to come out if their dark ages.

I honestly dont think them flooding the market for a 2 day period is really going to affect much. After today the price will go back up at LEGO. I think only huge LEGO fans are really shopping for this. There are so many people in this world that dont know about this. Not to mention the price wont go down unless people start dumping them for a horribly low profit. I tried to buy 10, let see what happens. I wouldnt sell mine under $175. I dont think people will price is really low. They want to make something. SO, all in all, the price will only go down if people allow it too. Not to mention, wait near Christmas if you have to, you will get your $$$$ eventually. Thoughts

I honestly dont think them flooding the market for a 2 day period is really going to affect much. After today the price will go back up at LEGO. I think only huge LEGO fans are really shopping for this. There are so many people in this world that dont know about this. Not to mention the price wont go down unless people start dumping them for a horribly low profit. I tried to buy 10, let see what happens. I wouldnt sell mine under $175. I dont think people will price is really low. They want to make something. SO, all in all, the price will only go down if people allow it too. Not to mention, wait near Christmas if you have to, you will get your $$$$ eventually. Thoughts

I mostly agree to with this.....we shall see though!

Not sure if someone noted this already but S&**** now has the b-wing listed as OOS - will ship in 30 days.

This could actually turn out to be a huge thing for everyone. If places are sold out, then it's possible that they will launch up in value on eBay. Just a though. This might be a nice chance to see how big the investing community really is.

I ordered 5 of these yesterday from LEGO Shop at Home and the orders were flagged as a security issue because I ordered them one at a time so I could get the free stuff on each order. I called and took care of it. It wasn't a big deal but if anyone else did the same be on the lookout for an email from lego saying your order is on hold and you have to call in within 48hrs or they will cancel them.

Yep, I cannot agree with you more. I think this extended sales period is great for builders and collectors, but can also flooded the market to the point where it no longer makes sense for investors to buy more, even at 50% off. Demand in secondary market will be less since lots of AFOL who wants this have ordered one (or more), and also lots of investors have stockpiled it. The more people order now, the worst the supply and demand goes out of whack.

that's why i only ordered 2 and not multiples like some people (one person was bragging about getting 27, and i am sure there are a few people who acquired even more than that). i don't wish bad fortune on others, so i hope this set does eventually appreciate well for those who have dozens of them, but these will need to be held for a LOOOOONNNGGG time to see any solid returns on them. a UCS set at 50% off is unheard of, so it's too good to pass up. i am happy with my two.

Assuming of course that the price goes back up to retail then I can't see why this wouldn't be an amazing deal. Why would people list them on eBay for low when it is the only place to get it at a decent price? If people list they will make it just a bit below retail so it's a good deal but only a little lower so they can make as much as possible. Again why would people hurt their own ability to profit by marking it down a lot? It's just not logical.

Assuming of course that the price goes back up to retail then I can't see why this wouldn't be an amazing deal. Why would people list them on eBay for low when it is the only place to get it at a decent price? If people list they will make it just a bit below retail so it's a good deal but only a little lower so they can make as much as possible. Again why would people hurt their own ability to profit by marking it down a lot? It's just not logical.

eBay sellers will be competing and undercutting each other like dirty pirates. It would be great if all of the secondary-market sellers could agree on a price and stick to it. But "Collusion!" people would cry.

People need to be patient. Even if you got this set for a quick flip you will benefit a lot by waiting a couple of weeks while some other sellers unload the stock. The set will eventually go back up. If you are a long term investor, then you already know this set will double your money at this price, and it is my opinion that it actually will return you a lot more than that.

Members, can you please refrain from creating a new thread for every piece of news that you have for this weekends B Wing sale. This thread will be fine for posting things like you called and talked to a LEGO Shop at Home rep. Let's not clutter the forums with unnecessary threads, thank you.

What are you, the forum police? Oh wait...