The Mandalorian - Disney+ *Could Contain Spoilers*

Jeff Mack

12 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Patty Jenkins announcement

I saw that she was an Air Force kid.  I have to admit, now I'm excited.

Rogue Squadron - could be set between ANH and RoJ.  OR, it could be the Rogue Squadron (Michael Stackpole - mostly...) series fighting against Admiral Isard (post-RoJ).

Edited by exracer327

How long until the trooper with the tray becomes a meme?

Isn't it amazing how many new ships/vehicles/locations we have seen in 1.5 seasons of the Mandalorian verses 6 years of planning for the sequel trilogy of SW movies?

BTW, previous episode had forerunners to First Order drop ships.  I had to watch it a second time to verify they were different.  Very cool.  

I have Yogurt going through my head from Spaceballs - Merchandising... merchandising.... merchandising... Spaceballs the flamethrower.

• Like 2

First episode that I thought was well balanced.  Mando actually did a lot of things and it did not feel like he was guest staring in his own show. Everybody got to kill / destroy something, even the Stormtroopers :shocked: 

The guy who wrote and directed this episode (Rick Famuyiwa) should write and direct every other episodes.  Per his imdb, he also wrote and directed the prisoner episode which was also one of the best from season 1.

• Like 5

First episode that I thought was well balanced.  Mando actually did a lot of things and it did not feel like he was guest staring in his own show. Everybody got to kill / destroy something, even the Stormtroopers default_shocked.png 
The guy who wrote and directed this episode (Rick Famuyiwa) should write and direct every other episodes.  Per his imdb, he also wrote and directed the prisoner episode which was also one of the best from season 1.

I would watch the hell out of a Star Wars show where the Empire is the protagonist. Did you notice the swell of music when they pulled in, as the TIEs came raining down, and the stormies were saving the day? It was a very heroic sounding piece.
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I would watch the hell out of a Star Wars show where the Empire is the protagonist. Did you notice the swell of music when they pulled in, as the TIEs came raining down, and the stormies were saving the day? It was a very heroic sounding piece.

It's a funny thing.  A New Hope came out when I was 17.  I was all for the Rebels.  But, in the last few years, I've learned to look at things from the Empire's (and later "bad guys") point of view.  It's true, most people just want order.  I still love Ahsoka but Darth Maul and Thrawn have just about become my second favorite characters and I find myself watching SW products with an air of neutrality now, not blindly rooting for the Rebels.  At 60, I am in danger of turning to the Dark Side.  Color my lightsaber white (or maybe pink.  White with a tinge of red.)

Edited by raindog
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, LegoMan1212 said:

Mandalorian saved Star Wars

Without the success of The Clone Wars and Rebels we would have never seen the Mandalorian.  Disney would have balked at the expense if the prior shows hadn't shown how hungry SW fans are for good, new content.  We sure as hell aren't getting it at the theaters.  Dave Filoni needs to be lifted up as a SW demigod, on the same level as a young George Lucas with Jon Favreau just one step down.
aaa.thumb.jpg.1e2dcdb5eafdac03259abf9a82f5891a.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Yes, it was cool to share in the joy of the stormtroopers (as brothers), celebrating the success of the mission.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, raindog said:

It's a funny thing.  A New Hope came out when I was 17.  I was all for the Rebels.  But, in the last few years, I've learned to look at things from the Empire's (and later "bad guys") point of view.  It's true, most people just want order.  I still love Ahsoka but Darth Maul and Thrawn have just about become my second favorite characters and I find myself watching SW products with an air of neutrality now, not blindly rooting for the Rebels.  At 60, I am in danger of turning to the Dark Side.  Color my lightsaber white (or maybe pink.  White with a tinge of red.)

1101868946_SadStormtrooper-DeathStarFriends.jpg.ce4ff6d61229c4ec5f75b2ab5a42d1f0.jpg

17 hours ago, raindog said:

Without the success of The Clone Wars and Rebels we would have never seen the Mandalorian.  Disney would have balked at the expense if the prior shows hadn't shown how hungry SW fans are for good, new content.  We sure as hell aren't getting it at the theaters.  Dave Filoni needs to be lifted up as a SW demigod, on the same level as a young George Lucas with Jon Favreau just one step down.

I'm not sure I would put Filoni before Favreau.  Favreau is definitely the genius behind the directing, writing, etc. while Filoni is a great story teller.  Together they're amazing.  However, the most awesome thing about your picture is Lucas sitting along side of them but he is not directing, writing, etc.  I feel like the master is becoming the apprentice but in a good way.

One more thing must happen in order for Star Wars' move to the light side to be complete... Kennedy must go.

The pirates scene didn’t work for me logically. You’re a secret imperial mining operation with finite resources but you leave important transports unguarded?

Pirates goal is usually to loot and sell cargo, not blow it up, right?

How can a whole group of pirates each have a thermal detonator and not one of them carry a blaster?

Why didn’t the pirates mine the road?

Why didn’t the Empire have ties flying patrol in the air at the time?

Ultimately it was a fun action sequence to watch but not something really thought out that well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Ultimately it was a fun action sequence to watch but not something really thought out that well.

Agreed. Basically Mando wasted a bunch of rebels. They basically had the same goals minus checking out the random terminal containing All Secrets. Not much to cheer for there...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I'm not sure I would put Filoni before Favreau.  Favreau is definitely the genius behind the directing, writing, etc. while Filoni is a great story teller.  Together they're amazing.  However, the most awesome thing about your picture is Lucas sitting along side of them but he is not directing, writing, etc.  I feel like the master is becoming the apprentice but in a good way.

One more thing must happen in order for Star Wars' move to the light side to be complete... Kennedy must go.

My feelings are that Favreau has a good sense for trusting what works (or will work). Robert Downey Jr made Iron Man (and IMO is largely responsible for the Marvel empire), but Favreau fought like hell to get him (when no one involved wanted anything to do with him).

But I still believe that Filoni (with his sense/respect for Star Wars) is the secret sauce that makes it work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The pirates scene didn’t work for me logically. You’re a secret imperial mining operation with finite resources but you leave important transports unguarded?

Pirates goal is usually to loot and sell cargo, not blow it up, right?

How can a whole group of pirates each have a thermal detonator and not one of them carry a blaster?

Why didn’t the pirates mine the road?

Why didn’t the Empire have ties flying patrol in the air at the time?

I read it differently. You’re a secret Imperial mining operation. So you’re going to try to stay under the radar. TIEs patrolling or flying cover isn’t very covert.

I agree with the goals of pirates, tho. They were Rebels or freedom fighters or terrorists. But you can’t go around calling these folks terrorists these days, so I’m guessing that’s why they went with pirates.

I also wonder if it was acceptable losses for the Imperials to let the transports get blown up, to keep themselves under the radar. Or if the terrorist activities had just started.
  • Like 1

Maybe they are facing budget cuts and cant afford to employ a security detail.

Maybe they had TIEs flying CAS because they had a credible threat but it wasn't a great enough threat to increase the presence on the ground. 

Maybe blasters are hard to come by at the moment do to galactic politics. 

I read it differently. You’re a secret Imperial mining operation. So you’re going to try to stay under the radar. TIEs patrolling or flying cover isn’t very covert.

I agree with the goals of pirates, tho. They were Rebels or freedom fighters or terrorists. But you can’t go around calling these folks terrorists these days, so I’m guessing that’s why they went with pirates.

I also wonder if it was acceptable losses for the Imperials to let the transports get blown up, to keep themselves under the radar. Or if the terrorist activities had just started.

We know from them driving past the other blown up transports that this wasn’t new. I think you’re being pretty generous with the writing, which in its defense, was rightly more concerned with character development this episode than action.

These were completely undefended transports . . . They couldn’t even speed up to avoid being intercepted because their cargo would blow. They had a huge contingent of storm troopers at the base and literally one of them sitting atop a transport armed with a blaster would have been at least something in the form of protection.

It was an action sequence for the sake of action sequences and it was fine for what it was in the context of the plot but the scene really could use a bit more thought in terms of logic.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KShine said:

My feelings are that Favreau has a good sense for trusting what works (or will work). Robert Downey Jr made Iron Man (and IMO is largely responsible for the Marvel empire), but Favreau fought like hell to get him (when no one involved wanted anything to do with him).

But I still believe that Filoni (with his sense/respect for Star Wars) is the secret sauce that makes it work.

There's always going to br

The Vision & The Execution...neither works without the other

I think the discussion on Filoni and Favreau essentially on on this principle

34 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

We know from them driving past the other blown up transports that this wasn’t new. I think you’re being pretty generous with the writing, which in its defense, was rightly more concerned with character development this episode than action.

These were completely undefended transports . . . They couldn’t even speed up to avoid being intercepted because their cargo would blow. They had a huge contingent of storm troopers at the base and literally one of them sitting atop a transport armed with a blaster would have been at least something in the form of protection.

It was an action sequence for the sake of action sequences and it was fine for what it was in the context of the plot but the scene really could use a bit more thought in terms of logic.

C'mon it's classic stage Coach robbery analogy

the Fall of the Empire and the slow rise of the New Republic leading to a lawless frontier...the plots have been classic western using StarWars Sauce

• Like 1