The Mandalorian - Disney+ *Could Contain Spoilers*

Jeff Mack

21 minutes ago, waydog said:

There could have been a huge upside as well. It didn't have to be all negative but 32 owners decided to not even try.  That's banning imo.

Honestly, 32 owners didn't ban him. First he opted out of his contract with the 49ers, he was never let go.

He was set to sign with the Broncos  but he turned down the contract. They offered him backup money and he wanted to be paid like a high end starter... which he was not at that point.

"You know what, and I said this a while ago: Colin had his chance to be here. We offered him a contract. He didn't take it," Elway said. "As I said in my deposition ... he's had his chance to be here. He passed it."

He was also on the brink of a contract with the Ravens until his girlfriend tweeted out a picture of the Owner and Ray Lewis with "Uncle Tom" comparisons. This, while negotiations were ongoing.

image.thumb.png.2779f0fb2eb4ae02f914fb137bd4b4b2.png

He wasn't banned, there was just more money in being an activist and playing the victim. He made the right decision for his bank account. 

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

ITT: One group of people confusing freedom of speech with freedom from consequences, another group confusing people who promote intolerance with people who don't tolerate intolerance, another group confusing getting canceled with the free market doing what the free market does, and another group looking at the economics and buying all the sweet at-st sets.

Dang, the internet is a magical place.

I think this is what you meant about the Internet

8f5c76c9414abb33dbca0fe492392d01.jpg
  • Haha 3

Colin kaepernick expressed his opinion publically and in a legal way and was banned from the nfl over it and people cheered that.
Gina Carano expressed her opinion publically and legally and was banned from disney/marvel and people cheer that too.  
Weird

Doesn’t that over generalization work both ways, too? Weird that people that were pissed that Colin was banned are the same people cheering that Gina has been banned?

1 hour ago, waydog said:

Colin kaepernick expressed his opinion publically and in a legal way and was banned from the nfl over it and people cheered that.

First off, he wasn't that good (certainly not good enough to deal with the unnecessary headaches). Secondly, he was not simply stating a view, he was bringing it onto the field with him (and making it a part of the game).

If she was insisting on changing the filming, scripts, etc, in order to express her views, that would be a problem.

People should mostly be able to believe what they want, and say what they want, but when it comes to your work, you should do your work, as the agreed upon rules dictate.

• Like 4

What I can't stand is the hypocrisy on Disney part.  Pedro Pascal compared the people who voted for Trump to Nazi and nothing happened to him. Post deleted, end of story.  Gina Carano posted something factual* that offended some people, post deleted, but she was fired.

*It happened that way in Germany post WW1, neighbors spying on and destroying their neighbors.  The rounding up and "re-education" came later.  Go to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC and read the history yourselves 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, waydog said:

Colin's stats were better than many players the past 2 years too.  Especially backups.  He was banned in my opinion.

Colin was coming off a shoulder injury suffered at the end of the 2015 season.  Then he had a less-than-stellar 2016 preseason.  What started this whole thing was him sitting on the bench during the national anthem, all by himself, at the end of the pre-season.  That's right, he was sitting (not kneeling) - with his head down - during the national anthem.  (see pics below in the articles).  During the following regular season he never measured up and was eventually replaced.  I watched several of those games and was rooting for him, but he just wasn't playing the same way.

I give Colin credit for turning a potentially career ending PR issue into a protest movement.  Of course, he was so active helping people in the inner city before that began... not.  In the end, he is now making more money being a spokesperson than getting chased and crushed by 300+ lb linemen.  I really don't understand why he would want back into the NFL.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/fans-outraged-as-colin-kaepernick-refuses-to-stand-for-us-national-anthem-20160829-gr393q.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/28/colin-kaepernick-takes-online-beating-for-sitting-out-us-national-anthem.html

It sucks that she was fired but do we really think no one associated with the show or Disney didn’t say something to her about her social media persona and to tone it down?

Part of the curriculum in many high schools actually addresses how we live our lives more publicly than ever and exercising good judgement about what content and tone you present to others online may mean the difference from getting hired or fired from a job.

Are the consequences fair? Are they equitable? Likely not. We are constantly constructing the world around us and the push and pull of forces largely outside of our control shapes our lives more than we want to acknowledge and sometimes the best thing is to not share or say some dumb stuff.

3 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

It sucks that she was fired but do we really think no one associated with the show or Disney didn’t say something to her about her social media persona and to tone it down?

I have to confess I wonder if someone did say something to her and she posted despite them.  Kind of like playing chicken.  You know this is going to get press and people are going to take sides.

24 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Colin was coming off a shoulder injury suffered at the end of the 2015 season.  Then he had a less-than-stellar 2016 preseason.  What started this whole thing was him sitting on the bench during the national anthem, all by himself, at the end of the pre-season.  That's right, he was sitting (not kneeling) - with his head down - during the national anthem.  (see pics below in the articles).  During the following regular season he never measured up and was eventually replaced.  I watched several of those games and was rooting for him, but he just wasn't playing the same way.

I give Colin credit for turning a potentially career ending PR issue into a protest movement.  Of course, he was so active helping people in the inner city before that began... not.  In the end, he is now making more money being a spokesperson than getting chased and crushed by 300+ lb linemen.  I really don't understand why he would want back into the NFL.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/fans-outraged-as-colin-kaepernick-refuses-to-stand-for-us-national-anthem-20160829-gr393q.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/28/colin-kaepernick-takes-online-beating-for-sitting-out-us-national-anthem.html

The 2016 san Francisco niners were a hot mess.  To blame him for a terrible year is not the whole story

Year one of chip Kelly, an absolutely horrible head coach on every level.

Kaeprnick had a rookie rb that year in Carlos Hyde who was average.

Kaepernick was throwing to Jerome kerley and torry Davis.  Who are they again.

The 32 ranked defense that gave up the most points

Kaepernicks 186 yards a game with 59% with 16 tds and 4 picks with 400 yards rushing and 2 tds in 12 games wasn't that bad considering the turmoil and lack of talent that team had that year.

To not get another chance after that, a real and normal chance unlike the tryout, Seattle, Baltimore fiasco was obvious banning.

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Doesn’t that over generalization work both ways, too? Weird that people that were pissed that Colin was banned are the same people cheering that Gina has been banned?

totally agree.  Hey, you've already made a post about the unfairness of gina?

Can you go back and find a post you made of the unfairness of kaepernick and censorship and cancel culture?  Can you?

32 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Part of the curriculum in many high schools actually addresses how we live our lives more publicly than ever and exercising good judgement about what content and tone you present to others online may mean the difference from getting hired or fired from a job.

Are the consequences fair? Are they equitable? Likely not. We are constantly constructing the world around us and the push and pull of forces largely outside of our control shapes our lives more than we want to acknowledge and sometimes the best thing is to not share or say some dumb stuff.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it."

---- Quoted from every Mom and Dad in the World

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KShine said:

First off, he wasn't that good (certainly not good enough to deal with the unnecessary headaches). Secondly, he was not simply stating a view, he was bringing it onto the field with him (and making it a part of the game).

If she was insisting on changing the filming, scripts, etc, in order to express her views, that would be a problem.

People should mostly be able to believe what they want, and say what they want, but when it comes to your work, you should do your work, as the agreed upon rules dictate.

Kaeprnick went to a superbowl and had very good stats.  He was young and still had time to make improvements and become better.  One bad year in a crappy team and coach and coming off an injury and he never plays again? Banned

Did Gina only make her comments and views known on the set of her work only? No, she put them out to the public like kaepernick did.  The rest is semantics.  Public is public.

What work rule did kaepernick break in his contract too?

7 minutes ago, waydog said:

totally agree.  Hey, you've already made a post about the unfairness of gina?

Can you go back and find a post you made of the unfairness of kaepernick and censorship and cancel culture?  Can you?

Let me get this straight, If I agree with you that what NFL did to Kaepernick was unfair and unjust, then you would agree with me that what Disney did to Gina was unfair and unjust too ? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

I have to confess I wonder if someone did say something to her and she posted despite them.  Kind of like playing chicken.  You know this is going to get press and people are going to take sides.

It's been mentioned by folks close to insiders with her talent agency that she was talked to in November, basically after 3 strikes.  She had a starring role lined up, they pulled that, and then it continued.

8 minutes ago, waydog said:

What work rule did kaepernick break in his contract too?

"The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

"During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KShine said:

"The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

"During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."

That's a policy and not a rule.  Nowhere in the nfl rulebook does it state that.

The game operations manual has a policy but not a rule.

17 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Let me get this straight, If I agree with you that what NFL did to Kaepernick was unfair and unjust, then you would agree with me that what Disney did to Gina was unfair and unjust too ? 

Just looking for consistency, that's all.  Nothing as devious as it seems but mentioning kaepernick sure does make sparks fly.

I think maintaining boundaries on social media is a major problem for some. Trolling is addictive. Calling out trolls is too. Fame, exposure, instant gratification of a liked post or comments all in the palm of your hands. It’s like digital crack.
  • Like 2

That's a policy and not a rule.  Nowhere in the nfl rulebook does it state that.
The game operations manual has a policy but not a rule.
Semantics... start not following company policy at whatever place of employment you have and let us know if you get "banned".

No where in the NFL rulebook does it say players should not commit domestic assault. Plenty of players have been penalized by the NFL for that "policy" though.
  • Like 1

Just looking for consistency, that's all.  Nothing as devious as it seems but mentioning kaepernick sure does make sparks fly.

I guess the answer is no.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

Semantics... start not following company policy at whatever place of employment you have and let us know if you get "banned".

No where in the NFL rulebook does it say players should not commit domestic assault. Plenty of players have been penalized by the NFL for that "policy" though.

It's not semantics, it is a policy.  Clearly states that.

That is why is says "should" and "may".  It is not a rule.

Now, if you can find where colin breeched his contract, nfl rulebook, or players union rule, that would be something.

Doing research before forming an opinion is good policy but not a rule.

Comparing illegal acts of violence to breaking a policy is not a valid comparison