The Mandalorian - Disney+ *Could Contain Spoilers*

Jeff Mack

I don’t see Luke being recast for this series and I think given the plot of the final three films, calling him a “Jedi” is a stretch.

I think what we’re witnessing here is Disney using The Mandalorian as vehicle to introduce new series and establish plot points to see what plays well with audiences.

I have a suspicion that Grogu’s narrative is being developed as a way of introducing the Obi Wan series (e.g. we get a flash back of Obi Wan hiding the child as a bridge to his series)and likely some more tangent connections to Boba Fett at some point.

All and all these are good things as what SW needs desperately are new stories , new narratives and hitching a ride on The Rebels story arc serves that purpose well. I wonder who is a good enough actor to play Thrawn? I’m also guessing Ezra will make some sort of return as well?

If Luke were recast, the popular opinion is Sebastian Stan. As for Thrawn, Lars Mikkelsen voiced him in Rebels, and could look the part easily.

BUT

I agree with you about introducing parts of the universe to see how well it does. So I doubt we’ll get Ashoka again, in the Mandalorian. This is the Mandalorian’s story, and Gorgu’s story. This isn’t Rebels, Part 2. In its usual Star Wars way, it’s a little bit of fan service to bring her in, and tell us where we are in the narrative - last we saw of Ashoka was at the end of Jedi (per Rebels flash forward), where she was going to go look for Thrawn and Ezra. So, 5 years later, she is still on that quest. That’s throwing a bone to us.

Everyone is very concerned that we’re going to see Luke or Ezra answer the call at the Jedi Temple, but Ashoka said that it’s Gorgu’s choice to make if he even wants to make the call. Maybe he gets there and decides he’d rather stay with Mando, and instead we get their continuing adventures.
  • Like 1

If Luke were recast, the popular opinion is Sebastian Stan. As for Thrawn, Lars Mikkelsen voiced him in Rebels, and could look the part easily.

BUT

I agree with you about introducing parts of the universe to see how well it does. So I doubt we’ll get Ashoka again, in the Mandalorian. This is the Mandalorian’s story, and Gorgu’s story. This isn’t Rebels, Part 2. In its usual Star Wars way, it’s a little bit of fan service to bring her in, and tell us where we are in the narrative - last we saw of Ashoka was at the end of Jedi (per Rebels flash forward), where she was going to go look for Thrawn and Ezra. So, 5 years later, she is still on that quest. That’s throwing a bone to us.

Everyone is very concerned that we’re going to see Luke or Ezra answer the call at the Jedi Temple, but Ashoka said that it’s Gorgu’s choice to make if he even wants to make the call. Maybe he gets there and decides he’d rather stay with Mando, and instead we get their continuing adventures.

I think the bit that irritates me is that the focus stays on Mando and Grogu. There’s only so much narrative and dramatic tension you can get when one character doesn’t speak and the other never removes his helmet.

GoT ruined me for wide sweeping character-based stories that shocked and fascinated us with choices/ fates of characters and it certainly isn’t fair to hold this show up to that standard, but we’re dealing with a SW universe just as complex and unique and it seems a waste to just randomly through in bits of it without actually developing any of it.
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see what they do with Gogru.  How can Mando complete his task if he can't deliver Gogru to the Jedi?  Their dynamic is great, but he can't keep keep dragging this kid into all his adventures.  I do think we'll get more Moff Gideon and the dark sabre, but I'm not sure Mando needs to meet up with all the characters from previous Star Wars stories, like @Alpinemapssaid it is Mando's story.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Gogru.  How can Mando complete his task if he can't deliver Gogru to the Jedi?  Their dynamic is great, but he can't keep keep dragging this kid into all his adventures.  I do think we'll get more Moff Gideon and the dark sabre, but I'm not sure Mando needs to meet up with all the characters from previous Star Wars stories, like [mention=5626]Alpinemaps[/mention]said it is Mando's story.

So even if he can’t hand the kid over to the Jedi, he will still complete the task when he tries and the kid says “no, I’m with you.”

Moff Gideon and the Dark Sabre is part of the Mando’s story. My thought would be to continue the narrative about the Mandalorians as a whole. You’ve got two beings who don’t fit together, fitting together well. You’ve got Mandalorian society broken, with Mando being part of this cult and Bo Katan and her group trying to repair things. The story of reuniting or putting together broken pieces?

Moff Gideon is the big bad of the series, for both the Mando and the Mandalorians. And for Gorgu as well.

On 11/28/2020 at 12:59 AM, MotorCityMuscle said:

If Thrawn is still alive, then there is a good chance Ezra is as well. Also makes sense why we saw the cut of The Lothcat.

and I also think Ezra will take Grogu on since this is a similar situation that he was in with Kanan. What goes around comes around. 

I'm thinking Luke will respond to Grogu but it won't be Mark Hamill.  Mark Hamill is done playing Luke Skywalker but Disney received permission to use his likeness.  Why would they do that unless they were planning to use it somewhere.  It makes sense that someone else will be playing a middle-aged Luke but made to resemble Hamill.  Luke was supposed to be late 20s as of Return of the Jedi.  The Mandalorian is set 10 years after RoJ.  Luke would be about the same age as Bo-Katan (40ish).

Why not Ezra?  Two reasons.  First, Ezra caused Thrawn to hyper-jump to ???? outer rim area?  So Ezra could still be where Thrawn is, hence why Ahsoka is looking for Thrawn.  Second, at the end of Rebels Sabine joined Ahsoka to go look for Ezra.  For a series looking for Mandalorians, where is Sabine Wren?  Sabine is about 10 years younger than Bo-Katan and has actually wielded the Darksaber in battle. So everything is actually setup for meeting her, possibly this season.

Just now, joch29 said:

I’ll admit, I thought the opposite and for a sec was in denial and felt my heart sank a bit knowing how much I invested. Definitely wasn’t expected.

I was like "oh no, that might not be good for investment" My son responded that it could be a good thing.