The Mandalorian - Disney+ *Could Contain Spoilers*

Jeff Mack

I think the answer to all of this is to "just go with it." 

Too much cannon and non-cannon history to play around with. I don't think every SW story needs the force. Too many rules. 

It reminds me of the New Yorker piece on George R.R. Martin a few years ago who quoted him saying he couldn't keep track of all the people he'd killed in his Song of Fire and Ice saga, so he had to have a super fan keep track for him. It's hard to argue the SW isn't at that level or so much more. 

One theme that I am seeing, and it kinda troubles me in fantasy and hard-scifi is a fear of time used on screen to show depth and development. We've seen this in the new SW films and in many of the later Marvel films--instant knowledge and ability with little to no training or learning. It's all part of the "clock" of current films, which is hilarious considering how long some of these films are to not pause and give a sense of growth. It's as if fans can't pause for a portion in a 3 1/2 hour long film to see it or it gets glossed over in a montage.  Really felt it in the last couple of Alien films, too. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

One theme that I am seeing, and it kinda troubles me in fantasy and hard-scifi is a fear of time used on screen to show depth and development. We've seen this in the new SW films and in many of the later Marvel films--instant knowledge and ability with little to no training or learning. It's all part of the "clock" of current films, which is hilarious considering how long some of these films are to not pause and give a sense of growth. It's as if fans can't pause for a portion in a 3 1/2 hour long film to see it or it gets glossed over in a montage.  Really felt it in the last couple of Alien films, too. 

Without getting too deep, this is a reflection of the society who wants instant gratification on every single aspect of life.  Most do not have the patient and or appreciation for the process involved in creating or achieving something

6 hours ago, JoshB said:

Anyone else like the folding panels of the tie fighter? That that was pretty cool.

Reminded me of naval variants of certain fighters.  Air Force planes don't typically have folding wings but Navy does.

On a side note, how many of you were like me and trying to figure out how to modify our LEGO Ties so its wings can fold like that? lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2019 at 6:40 PM, exracer327 said:

Reminded me of naval variants of certain fighters.  Air Force planes don't typically have folding wings but Navy does.

On a side note, how many of you were like me and trying to figure out how to modify our LEGO Ties so its wings can fold like that? lol

I wouldn't mind another TIE remake if they added that functionality. I think it would sell really well. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2019 at 2:36 PM, HappyHawkeye said:

maybe Yoda was once way more powerful & couldn't do things like force healing any more cuz he was an old ass man by the time we see him in I - VI. I dunno just throwing crap out there. :)

Maybe this particular Yoda is more powerful, or maybe they needed a plot device for why the First Order wants him so badly (hint, Palpatine needs to be reborn).

I was watching Empire Strikes Back again and was reminded of Yoda telling Luke, "for 800 years have I trained Jedi".  Although Yoda's true age was officially "unknown," apparently Wookipedia claims he died before he reached the age of 900.  So if Yoda began teaching when just under 100, (of course, we assume he received training himself) that implies this "baby" is more mature at age 50 than what we're giving him credit for.  

Of course, in the new Star Wars universe, apparently no one needs force training.

39 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

He's officially 900...he tells Luke he won't look this good at 900. But you have a good point. Baby Yoda will apparently reach adulthood in the next 50 years and be able to talk and train Jedi.

Just give me 36 minutes of Baby Yoda cuteness each episode and I'd be happy.  Other than that I just see Javier Pena and Gus Fring about to have a big cartel war.  

• Like 2

On 12/18/2019 at 4:05 PM, Jackson said:

How many people are going to cancel their Disney+ subscriptions after the last episode of The Mandalorian? ?‍♂️

I just did the free 7 day trial and binged this will be canceling now. I don’t see much else to watch I prefer the Crown on Netflix. If you haven’t seen the documentary Free Solo (not a SW movie) it is in the Nat Geo section it is a good watch. 

Showing my age but there is a line where Mando looks at Carl Weathers character and says “it is a Creed”. Not sure if anyone will get that Dad humor. 

Possible spoilers:

why didnt yoda heal Mando? Was he too tried from using his energy on the fire?

Narcos Guy was Mando 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

I just did the free 7 day trial and binged this will be canceling now. I don’t see much else to watch I prefer the Crown on Netflix. If you haven’t seen the documentary Free Solo (not a SW movie) it is in the Nat Geo section it is a good watch. 

Showing my age but there is a line where Mando looks at Carl Weathers character and says “it is a Creed”. Not sure if anyone will get that Dad humor. 

Possible spoilers:

Narcos Guy was Mando 

Check out The Dawn Wall if you haven't seen it.  It's similar to Free Solo and was on Netflix when I saw it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Possible spoilers:

Narcos Guy was Mando 

The Apple Dumpling Gang is all you need and should be on repeat.

This season was great, love this show.

14 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

The Apple Dumpling Gang is all you need and should be on repeat.

This season was great, love this show.

Actually I saw that in theaters on release day for $2, huge Don Knotts fan, but with opportunity cost I should have waited the 44 years to catch it on Disney+ for free ;) 

• Like 1