The Mandalorian - Disney+ *Could Contain Spoilers*

Jeff Mack

She will have a longer part for sure. There's no way she was in just that episode given she's been on Con panels and things. I am assuming they will become a team of some sort. Thumbs up for that. 

So the woman with the daughter has been on Con panels? Interesting. I didn’t know that. That gives me hope.

37 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I liked the Cara Dane character. Definitely want to see more of her.

Don't you mean, "We'll definitely be seeing more of her."  The ending was too abrupt this episode and they introduced her as his equal.  I'm betting we'll see her show up again around ep. 7 or 8.  If 7, then I bet she'll be in 8 as well.  Just a gut feeling.  I wouldn't be surprised if her back story that she shared isn't on par either.  There is definitely more to her than was led on in this one episode.  

On a side note, I thought it was well directed by Bryce Howard.  I think this was the first episode I didn't feel like it was moving slow.  Nice to see she's taking after dad.

• Like 1

Gina Carano played the ex rebel shock trooper as Mando’s ally really well. She’s quoted in many pubs that when she was cast she thought she might be playing a Wookie and was surprised she was one of the few characters without a mask. She’ll be back.

Why is it no one remembers the Jedi or clone wars? It’s a really weird plot hole in terms of world building throughout much of the SW universe. I’ve read a bunch of fanboy theories from Palatine having mind control over the populace and removing memory to theories that most of the galaxy is illiterate and thus has no memory outside of life experience. Both are dumb for a number of reasons, but you’d think the narrative showrunners would consider things a bit more.

1 minute ago, oneknightr said:

My only complaint about the episode was the AT-ST (which was cool to see by the way) standing in front of the trap and not firing away on the villagers. It could've just unloaded all over the village and the battle would've been over. That part didn't make sense to me. 

Lol I did not get it either.  Also, the way woman soldier bait the AT-ST did not make sense to me.  If you have someone shooting your AT-ST from up close like that, wouldn't you step BACK (not forward) to get a better shooting angle?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Lol I did not get it either.  Also, the way woman soldier bait the AT-ST did not make sense to me.  If you have someone shooting your AT-ST from up close like that, wouldn't you step BACK (not forward) to get a better shooting angle?

I guess we can chalk it up to the same reason as to why stormtroopers can't hit sh*t. 

• Haha 2

Not necessarily.  She was in the trench/pool so there was no good shot from its angle (though it could have just shot the hell out of the ground in front of her). Stepping back would have made it harder to hit  her. I'm guessing they wanted to move closer to stomp her, the assumption being all the pools were about a person deep.

Edited by Mr_Coat
  • Like 4

I thought the tactic for baiting the walker made sense, but I also agree it should have been blasting everything in the mean time, although I'm not sure if ammo is unlimited.  It really doesn't have to make complete sense though we're in space with a little green alien.

Gina Carano is listed in chapters 7 & 8 on IMDB so we should see her again assuming that is correct. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Gina Carano played the ex rebel shock trooper as Mando’s ally really well. She’s quoted in many pubs that when she was cast she thought she might be playing a Wookie and was surprised she was one of the few characters without a mask. She’ll be back.

Why is it no one remembers the Jedi or clone wars? It’s a really weird plot hole in terms of world building throughout much of the SW universe. I’ve read a bunch of fanboy theories from Palatine having mind control over the populace and removing memory to theories that most of the galaxy is illiterate and thus has no memory outside of life experience. Both are dumb for a number of reasons, but you’d think the narrative showrunners would consider things a bit more.

I don't see why the lack of Clone Wars references or the Jedi is a problem per say, it had been nearly 30 years since the end of the Clone Wars and the Great Purge by this point, and during the entirety of the empire's grip on the galaxy they did everything they could to obliterate every trace of the Jedi order and the Republic in general. Think about the Tiananmen Square massacre, just over a generation later and with robust censorship many younger Chinese (some of this I've witnessed at uni) have no idea it ever happened. I'd imagine a regime like the Empire wouldn't have a problem doing nearly the same thing at a much more massive scale. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

I don't see why the lack of Clone Wars references or the Jedi is a problem per say, it had been nearly 30 years since the end of the Clone Wars and the Great Purge by this point, and during the entirety of the empire's grip on the galaxy they did everything they could to obliterate every trace of the Jedi order and the Republic in general. Think about the Tiananmen Square massacre, just over a generation later and with robust censorship many younger Chinese (some of this I've witnessed at uni) have no idea it ever happened. I'd imagine a regime like the Empire wouldn't have a problem doing nearly the same thing at a much more massive scale. 

The problem with this in particular with the Mandalorian narrative is their armor and weaponry largely exist because they were designed exclusively to fight and kill Jedi. Now it could be he doesn't know that, but that seems kind of odd, though his "community" is set up more or less like a terror cell waiting to be activated and as far as legend or canon SW lore, "foundlings" didn't exist in Mandalorian culture, so this might be a off-shoot clan or something outside of the main Mandalorian culture.   Also, he was old enough to recall the droids killing his family in the flashback so he grew up during the clone wars. It just seems like a pretty big plot hole to me in this context. 

The problem with this in particular with the Mandalorian narrative is their armor and weaponry largely exist because they were designed exclusively to fight and kill Jedi. Now it could be he doesn't know that, but that seems kind of odd, though his "community" is set up more or less like a terror cell waiting to be activated and as far as legend or canon SW lore, "foundlings" didn't exist in Mandalorian culture, so this might be a off-shoot clan or something outside of the main Mandalorian culture.   Also, he was old enough to recall the droids killing his family in the flashback so he grew up during the clone wars. It just seems like a pretty big plot hole to me in this context. 

Is it a plot hole if the whole story hasn’t been told?

1 hour ago, Mark Twain said:

Huge mistake on their part. Would have been a massive windfall for them this holiday season.

But would it though?  I feel like part of Baby Yodas massive popularity was due to the surprise. If we had been Porg'ed out with Baby Yoda months in advance we'd probably be complaining what a lousy idea he was....

• Like 3

I’m going to act like you didn’t just compare baby Yoda to a Porg and try and compose myself.

There’s a middle ground between releasing merch months before a series drops vs waiting to release it six months after premier. This would have been the must have toy to have this holiday season and I’m sure counterfeits are going to pop up any day.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 4:41 PM, Mark Twain said:

Yes. The backstory has been told, his story has not.

Not sure I would say his back story has been told. 

In episode four he made the comment that he was "taken in," or something to that order, by the Mandalorians after his parents were killed.  Seems to imply he's not really a Mandalorian.  Furthermore, nearly every episode someone asks him, "You're a Mandalorian, are you not?"  The name of the show is "The Mandalorian" except, it would appear he's not really a Mandalorian.

By the way, the people who keep asking him if he's Mandalorian have all "read" stories about Mandalorians.  So sorry to burst the illiterate argument.

19 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

I’m going to act like you didn’t just compare baby Yoda to a Porg and try and compose myself.

There’s a middle ground between releasing merch months before a series drops vs waiting to release it six months after premier. This would have been the must have toy to have this holiday season and I’m sure counterfeits are going to pop up any day.

No offense intended! I'm  ust afraid that BY might have ended up like a Porg if Disney merchandising had gotten their hands on him sooner.

Too bad for Disney, but I won't lose sleep over them losing a couple million in merch.

• Like 1