TRUTH Tactics : and now the end is here

Alpinemaps

I can relate to the strict TRU experiences: I have a TRU near by that is the same - 95% of the employees won't take coupons off of phones and they also mark up the prices an additional 5-7% higher than the already marked up TRU prices so even price matching TRU.com voids some discount techniques, etc.  Luckily I have developed a good report with the main cashier and store manager and most of the time they are flexible with me with price matching and coupons on my phone most but not always.  Every now and then that means not getting a great discount but I am always polite and thank them for the great service and in the long run it works in my favor.

• Like 1

The past 3 times I've been at TRU, the cashier forgot to apply the 10%.  I always tell them "I'll be using my TRU CC" and show them it.  One time, the cashier told me, "no, that's just a rewards card" and when I told them it was the TRU credit card, they still didn't hit the button for it.  Annoying, because 2 of the 3 times, I didn't notice it until after I paid.

The past 3 times I've been at TRU, the cashier forgot to apply the 10%.  I always tell them "I'll be using my TRU CC" and show them it.  One time, the cashier told me, "no, that's just a rewards card" and when I told them it was the TRU credit card, they still didn't hit the button for it.  Annoying, because 2 of the 3 times, I didn't notice it until after I paid.

Same thing happened to me last Thursday - I got home & realized they only took 15% off from my coupon instead of 20%, and didn't apply to 10% off either. And I didn't even use any gift cards - I paid for the entire balance with my CC! Returned it the next day. I think my mistake was using the cashier that always looks like she hates her life, the store, and any customer brazen enough to walk down her aisle. She's got a death stare. :growl:

• Like 3

I did the same as jay4e and have had to call about 6 times to follow up. Used smaller fao gc to consolidate to buy larger ones on their site. Did 4 orders totalling $415 in gc. Still have not recieved them and I ordered on 8-3-15. I keep being told that it is a universal glitch for all of TRU and egift card delivery but have not confirmed this. They have not made any offer of anything, just told me that it is being worked on.

Don't forget to get the free Joker's Bumper Car today with a minimum $30 purchase.  I was able to use the 20% off coupon, plus 10% TRUTH, plus TRU reward dollars and the rest on my CC to pay for an Ecto-1 and still received the bumper car  for free.  No issue and I had to nicely ask the cashier to make sure the 10% TRUTH came off.   YMMV of course.

• Like 2

It's not too hard to do the math ahead of time to know what you should be paying after the discounts are applied.  To borrow some GI Joe quotes:

-Anything worth doing is worth planning.

-You'll never win if you give in.

Knowing is half the battle folks.

True - I was caught off guard last time because I had never had any problems. Yo Joe!

It's not too hard to do the math ahead of time to know what you should be paying after the discounts are applied.  To borrow some GI Joe quotes:

It's easy to do math if you only have a few items, but when you have lots of goods and a limited amount of time, sometimes it's just easier to see if the correct discounts applied.  Also, I've never had the issue until recently.

Cgoscyc.jpg

I tell them the total doesn't sound right.  They say, it's applied, it will come off after total.  I tell them it's still wrong, they say they verified, it's there.  "Are you sure you hit the button?"  "Yes, it says right here."  "OK, it didn't apply last time"   I pay, get the receipt.  Still says 15% instead of 20%, or 20% instead of 25%.  Go to service desk, they tell me it takes 5 minutes for the system to update.  They refund the difference to my card.  Next week, same Bat Time, same Bat Channel.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 3

I tell them the total doesn't sound right.  They say, it's applied, it will come off after total.  I tell them it's still wrong, they say they verified, it's there.  "Are you sure you hit the button?"  "Yes, it says right here."  "OK, it didn't apply last time"   I pay, get the receipt.  Still says 15% instead of 20%, or 20% instead of 25%.  Go to service desk, they tell me it takes 5 minutes for the system to update.  They refund the difference to my card.  Next week, same Bat Time, same Bat Channel.

Yup. Been there done that. Last week as a matter of fact.

Had that happen too and man oh man it took them forever to figure it out and then get me a refund.  It was really basic math and they didn't get it.  Sad, really.

Had that happen too and man oh man it took them forever to figure it out and then get me a refund.  It was really basic math and they didn't get it.  Sad, really.

Well... the (techy) guy that helped me was complaining about the archaic software system that he was having to use to process the refund. Stated that it was way over due for an upgrade.

FWIW

I spout off the math and they look at me like I'm Stephen Hawking.

Did you do it without a calculator or smart phone in your hand?

The TRU cashier insisted that my math was incorrect because I didn't my phone or punch in the numbers on a calculator.  After 30 seconds I politely said "I guess I'm wrong, I'll put it back on the shelf.  Sorry." and walked back to the aisle recognizing that I am now scared for my children's future even more than ever.

Maybe if TRU started selling an abacus....

The TRU I'm referring to in SoCal were near Long Beach, Fullerton and then all the way over near Ontario.

• Like 2

Walked in expecting to get an Ecto-1 or a Ultra Agents Ocean HQ or Birds, in that order, but when what before my eyes on the shelf sat........ the Avengers Helicarrier, marked at the low TRU price of 379.99.  Armed w/ only my smartphone and a healthy dose of moxie, I asked the cashier if the coupon would work w/ it----lo and behold, it did.  Unfortunately no gift cards on my person, and the box isn't perfect, but I walked out w/ the Helicarrier for $285 after tax.  and a Joker Bumper Car for good measure.  Not bad, plus the rewards points as well.  Calling it a day.

• Like 9

Walked in expecting to get an Ecto-1 or a Ultra Agents Ocean HQ or Birds, in that order, but when what before my eyes on the shelf sat........ the Avengers Helicarrier, marked at the low TRU price of 379.99.  Armed w/ only my smartphone and a healthy dose of moxie, I asked the cashier if the coupon would work w/ it----lo and behold, it did.  Unfortunately no gift cards on my person, and the box isn't perfect, but I walked out w/ the Helicarrier for $285 after tax.  and a Joker Bumper Car for good measure.  Not bad, plus the rewards points as well.  Calling it a day.

is it all there? sometimes buttface buys it online takes the figs out and returns it to the store. i would be wary. 

Seeing a lot of new markdowns on TRU.com.  all still .99 so not official clearance.  Will be curious to see if these are in-store also.

volvo, ISD, ATAT, ecto (back at regular price). these arnt clearance prices so coupons should work if in fact they are reflected in BMs too. nice that it coincides with a thursday :) burn those rewards before SHTF!

volvo, ISD, ATAT, ecto (back at regular price). these arnt clearance prices so coupons should work if in fact they are reflected in BMs too. nice that it coincides with a thursday :) burn those rewards before SHTF!

Good point, only two TRUTHs left to build rewards before the cut off.  given the 15 day waiting period and the cut over on Sept 15th. This week and Next are the last TRUTHS to add to your total and get a rewards cert.  I assume as long as you get the points by the 14th you can get a cert for the full available balance and use it within 60 days.

I thought the coupons were good for regular priced (non-sale, non-clearance) items only?  It's worth a try today since my TRU has Ecto and ISD in stock, but I didn't think it would work since these are marked down prices.

• Like 1