TRUTH Tactics : and now the end is here

Alpinemaps

All Scooby Doo and large JW sets have been wiped out at my TRU.  Unless someone persuades me with another great opportunity, I'll probably pick between the last LM (complete with severe security spider damage) or BBT.  I haven't looked, but I expect the "first available" market for BBT has evaporated.  Nonetheless, the stacked discounts will make this the cheapest one can get the set for quite some time.

Surprise stock to the rescue!  Picked up a Mystery Mansion.  I'll leave that beat up LM until next week.

Is there a spot where someone can get a basic primer on TRU coupons and gift cards?

1) I know that gift cards/merchandise credit can be obtained for a discount on eBay or Raise.  That part I get.

2) I also get that TRU has 15% off one item coupons or 20% off coupons or other coupons.  

3) I also get that there's some additional benefit for TRU credit card holders (which I am not).  I'm less clear on what this is and how it mixes with #1 and #2 above.

4) I also get that combining all of these discounts can be a tricky business standing there at the register. Does TRU give you a hard time using a gift/merchandise credit card to pay for things if you're also using a coupon?  That seems unusual.

Could I prevail upon someone with mad skills to lay it all down for me so that I, too, can perform these epic maneuvers?

I've got sad skillz.  But I shall try nonetheless.

2) The coupon is 15% off a regular price item.  It is 20% off if you pay with your TRU credit card.  Many stores accept the barcode on your phone (have them scan it).  Some stores will only accept print coupons, which you either get from your Rewards R Us (maybe?) or mail (I get one in the mail).

3) On Thursdays, TRU credit card purchases qualify for an additional 10% off.  I think this is true for both regular and sale prices.

4) It depends on the store.  Mine doesn't.  But I also live in an area flush with resellers.

Look back in this thread, and the daily deals for details.  The post by Trekgate here spells it out pretty well.

Is there a spot where someone can get a basic primer on TRU coupons and gift cards?

1) I know that gift cards/merchandise credit can be obtained for a discount on eBay or Raise.  That part I get.

2) I also get that TRU has 15% off one item coupons or 20% off coupons or other coupons.  

3) I also get that there's some additional benefit for TRU credit card holders (which I am not).  I'm less clear on what this is and how it mixes with #1 and #2 above.

4) I also get that combining all of these discounts can be a tricky business standing there at the register. Does TRU give you a hard time using a gift/merchandise credit card to pay for things if you're also using a coupon?  That seems unusual.

Could I prevail upon someone with mad skills to lay it all down for me so that I, too, can perform these epic maneuvers?

Here's a good overview of Toys R Us rewards.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/13593-toys-r-us-rewards-guide/?page=1

I've got sad skillz.  But I shall try nonetheless.

2) The coupon is 15% off a regular price item.  It is 20% off if you pay with your TRU credit card.  Many stores accept the barcode on your phone (have them scan it).  Some stores will only accept print coupons, which you either get from your Rewards R Us (maybe?) or mail (I get one in the mail).

3) On Thursdays, TRU credit card purchases qualify for an additional 10% off.  I think this is true for both regular and sale prices.

4) It depends on the store.  Mine doesn't.  But I also live in an area flush with resellers.

Look back in this thread, and the daily deals for details.  The post by Trekgate here spells it out pretty well.

this is very helpful. Thank you!

Yep, I got this speech.

961447f40fcfa76f4a91e74051401e9ae9e305d8

It's not just exciter1.  Here in SoCal there are at least 5 TRU that won't allow me to do partial pays on GC and CC for the extra 10%.  The employees told me the manager reviewed the discount rules with them (at 3 locations where the employees openly told me without prompting that their manager was riding them).  I just expect to always pay with CC in full at these stores.

The trick to keeping these stores alive is if you find a "difficult" cashier just decide beforehand if you want to proceed with the deal without the GC discount.  If not you can just politely back out of the transaction.  You can always try another store if you're in an urban area.  Don't be a jerk and start claiming civil rights and make a scene - that doesn't help anybody.  While squeaky wheel gets the oil, the obnoxious entitled wheel gets banned from the the store.

Just had an interesting conversation with FAO support about Gift Cards.  Picked up a couple Raise FAO cards last week, these cards were not working on TRU.com, but did work on FAO.com.  So i merged them into a single FAO card through FAO.com (like I would normal do at TRU.com).  Well the order went through and everything appeared to process ok but the email never showed up.  So I called FAO twice last week and they kept pushing me off saying that the issue had been submited to corporate.

Talked to them again today, and the rep said they were having issues (still are?) with processing gift cards.  Thus they are going to refund the transaction, and send out a bonus GC because of the trouble.

I am not sure where theproblem is, they may have had a failure in the GC system.  Or perhaps it related to the closing of their store, which happened a week or so before.  What ever it is if you have FAO cards I would keep an eye on them.  It may be they are closing down the FAO system, and we will have to use the cards in store.  As of right now I have another card that will work FAO.com, but still will not work on TRU.com.

Will update when I get the refund processed, and what ever bonus they are going to send out.

It's not just exciter1.  Here in SoCal there are at least 5 TRU that won't allow me to do partial pays on GC and CC for the extra 10%.  The employees told me the manager reviewed the discount rules with them (at 3 locations where the employees openly told me without prompting that their manager was riding them).  I just expect to always pay with CC in full at these stores.

The trick to keeping these stores alive is if you find a "difficult" cashier just decide beforehand if you want to proceed with the deal without the GC discount.  If not you can just politely back out of the transaction.  You can always try another store if you're in an urban area.  Don't be a jerk and start claiming civil rights and make a scene - that doesn't help anybody.  While squeaky wheel gets the oil, the obnoxious entitled wheel gets banned from the the store.

What part of SoCal are you in? In San Diego and Riverside County stores that I frequent, it isn't an issue. The cashiers ask if I'm paying my credit and I tell them I'm doing partial pay and they make sure to walk me through how to do it so I can use the GCs and my CC and get my points. This is multiple cashiers at multiple stores. I wonder if it's a regional/district thing?

What part of SoCal are you in? In San Diego and Riverside County stores that I frequent, it isn't an issue. The cashiers ask if I'm paying my credit and I tell them I'm doing partial pay and they make sure to walk me through how to do it so I can use the GCs and my CC and get my points. This is multiple cashiers at multiple stores. I wonder if it's a regional/district thing?

In my case, it is the individual asst manager thing since he is the only one who cares about not allowing me (anyone?) to use the trick :D