LEGO Dimensions

Sauromosis

Just bought the Starter Pack, BTF level pack, and Wonder Woman Fun Pack (which now sounds slightly strange) for the kiddos last night after 2x VIP started.  The game itself seems to be getting some good press - apparently, the game utilizes the pad and figures for more than just activating a character in the game.  As I read, the location you place these figs on the pad (there are three sections), and the timing of placement become part of the gameplay puzzles.  Every review I read of this game also said Dimensions was the best/most enjoyable of all Lego games with its mashup story lines and humor typical of the Lego/Tt games.

So, I bit the bullet - with 2x VIP, I get 10% back to spend on Lego for me.  Sounds like a win-win...

Please let us know how you like the game ;-)

I don't even have any of the platforms where you can play it on... but I still want it!

So maybe I buy it just to play it together with my best friend who's got a PS3 *g*

• Like 1

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question will probably answer itself once I actually open the game and check it out, but what is the mechanism that prevents me from say buying one Level Pack and just plugging that character in to someone else's game portal? Won't they have it unlocked at that point? Or do you need the char every time you want to go in?

This question will probably answer itself once I actually open the game and check it out, but what is the mechanism that prevents me from say buying one Level Pack and just plugging that character in to someone else's game portal? Won't they have it unlocked at that point? Or do you need the char every time you want to go in?

The character disks have to be sitting on the portals for the characters to be in the game!

• Like 1

I've been playing it with my son - Got a few hours into it and a couple play sessions. One thing I will say is I find some of the puzzles frustrating/poorly explained. The first time I ran into the "3 color teleporter" puzzle, it took me way too long to figure out I had to move my active char to the properly colored thing on the portal. And also, one puzzle in the Simpsons world, took me a while to realize I needed to push something off a ledge.

Also, we bought the Benny pack - and the spaceship causes some havoc because if we flew to the "next part" of a stage, we were getting cut scenes and such out of order which added to some confusion.

All in all, I am having fun, but definitely some flaws and frustrations I don't recall experiencing in the other LEGO titles.

I've been playing it with my son - Got a few hours into it and a couple play sessions. One thing I will say is I find some of the puzzles frustrating/poorly explained. The first time I ran into the "3 color teleporter" puzzle, it took me way too long to figure out I had to move my active char to the properly colored thing on the portal. And also, one puzzle in the Simpsons world, took me a while to realize I needed to push something off a ledge.

Also, we bought the Benny pack - and the spaceship causes some havoc because if we flew to the "next part" of a stage, we were getting cut scenes and such out of order which added to some confusion.

All in all, I am having fun, but definitely some flaws and frustrations I don't recall experiencing in the other LEGO titles.

The puzzle thing sounds eerily similar to LEGO Clone Wars game.

I wonder how quickly they patch up problems like Benny's Spaceship? Have you reported the bug to Tt?

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2015, 01:45:20, justapilgrim said:

Seems like perfect October double VIP + train purchase

And so I did exactly that. :angel:  The ~€10 VIP discount + Christmas train bonus certainly helped to sweeten the deal. 

Played a bit over the weekend and enjoyed the game so far. And Tt Games listened to the complaint about certain parts of the game being inaccessible if you do not have the corresponding character, by now allowing you to 'hire a hero' character for 30 seconds by paying 50,000 studs in-game! Awesome! :-)

12 minutes ago, Haay said:

And so I did exactly that. :angel:  The ~€10 VIP discount + Christmas train bonus certainly helped to sweeten the deal. 

Played a bit over the weekend and enjoyed the game so far. And Tt Games listened to the complaint about certain parts of the game being inaccessible if you do not have the corresponding character, by now allowing you to 'hire a hero' character for 30 seconds by paying 50,000 studs in-game! Awesome! :-)

Haven't played the game yet, but "hire a hero" for 30 seconds sounds short? Or do you only need him for 20 seconds to accomplish what you need to access these parts?

Or is it that you can hire him for as long as you want if you have the studs for it? ^.^

4 minutes ago, Locutus001 said:

Haven't played the game yet, but "hire a hero" for 30 seconds sounds short? Or do you only need him for 20 seconds to accomplish what you need to access these parts?

Or is it that you can hire him for as long as you want if you have the studs for it? ^.^

It's used to open a door or unlock a cage or something similar, which is tied to a certain character. It's explained well here:

http://www.everybodyplays.co.uk/news/PS4/Latest-LEGO-Dimensions-update-lets-you-Hire-a-Hero/2185

And this video also shows the use of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjOXcBId1bw

So, what's the verdict on Dimensions?  Those who have it, what say you?

I, too, need to know the answer. We may even have to get a new gaming system (we have XBox 360 but I don't like it) so unlike to know how enjoyable this is.

I know exciter has kids. Mine are almost 8 and 4 so they would be playing a bit.

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

So, what's the verdict on Dimensions?  Those who have it, what say you?

I have it for my Wii U console. And I think it's a really fun game. It is sharing similarities with previous Traveller's tales Lego games in the sense of collecting studs, looking for hidden gold bricks, the special red brick, collecting mini-sets, switching between characters to use their special abilities... The difference here is of course the mixing of different Lego worlds. And the portal device which requires frequent interaction by moving the figures from one spot on the portal device to another based on changing colours.

One major advantage of the Wii U version over the Playstation or Xbox version is how co-op can be played on two screens instead of doing a split-screen on the TV. With the Wii U player 1 can use the gamepad and watch his actions there, while player two can use the TV and watch his actions there, using the full width of the TV.

I haven't really progressed far yet, but am enjoying it whenever I have some spare time to play. I also have two kids (boy of 9 and girl of 6) and they do enjoy playing it too, though my daughter finds it a bit difficult yet. But my son has friends from school coming over and they do enjoy playing it together in co-op mode.

Edited by Haay
  • Like 2