LEGO Dimensions

Sauromosis

We're going to try the Doctor Who level this weekend.  My kids regularly watch Doctor Who with me, and they sometimes hide under the blanket (as any proper child watching Doctor Who should do).  But they also love Halloween and spooky stuff (as long as it's cartoony), so I'm not sure how they will react.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too late probably for most parents that have spent any money on Skylanders or Infinity.  Too expensive when compared to those games.  Too similar to their other games except now you have to unlock the characters with real money instead of collecting studs.  I get that Lego is an expensive toy, but $15/$25/$30 for an add-on pack is a tough sell considering the amount of Lego you get.  When you compare any add-on to a $20 set, people probably feel like they're getting ripped off.  It's nice to see a discount on these now, but it's going to also need to happen in store if they want to move more of these.

That being said, my kids really like the game and I haven't had to help much at all.  I thought moving the figs was interesting at first, but it's a pain if you don't have a kid to do it for you.  Mine also enjoyed building the portal and building the different versions of the vehicles, etc.

15 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Anyone else's children get spooked by the vampire ghosts in the Dr Who level? That kinda freaked my 5 yr old son out. I thought it was a little intense for the target age.

Yes.  Creepy Angels is what we called them.  I know nothing about Dr. Who, so I'm not sure what they are supposed to be or what they do.

26 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

We're going to try the Doctor Who level this weekend.  My kids regularly watch Doctor Who with me, and they sometimes hide under the blanket (as any proper child watching Doctor Who should do).  But they also love Halloween and spooky stuff (as long as it's cartoony), so I'm not sure how they will react.

I hide under the blanket when i watch dr who as well, but it's for a different reason :D 

Edited by California92563

7 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

That being said, my kids really like the game and I haven't had to help much at all.  I thought moving the figs was interesting at first, but it's a pain if you don't have a kid to do it for you.  Mine also enjoyed building the portal and building the different versions of the vehicles, etc.

Yes.  Creepy Angels is what we called them.  I know nothing about Dr. Who, so I'm not sure what they are supposed to be or what they do.

Weeping angels are probably one of the creepiest monsters from Doctor Who. They move only when you aren't looking, and when they touch you, they suck your future away by sending you into the past. (without getting into the mechanics, that's as good an explanation as any.) If you only watch one Doctor Who episode, I recommend Blink. That's where they originated.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

lego dimensions starter pack for xbox360 $38 on Amazon 

Wow. Incredible price. I can't say I'm surprised. Xbox 360 is the only system I have that this plays on, and it's a 10 year old system. I can't believe this sells well.

Best deal I've seen was $49 at target with coupons. This beats that by $11.

Selling Lego Dimensions starter packs cheaply is a bit similar to the practice of selling ink-jet printers cheaply and then making big money on selling overly expensive ink-cartridges. The Level, Team and Fun packs are where LEGO and Tt Games make their money. ;)  Of course, that's the same practice done by Skylanders and Disney Infinity as well. And drug-dealers... :P 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Poly 30286 said:

Such a mess. Has anyone started labeling the discs and foregoing the actual bricks? I have plenty of partitioned storage containers, but the kids insist on taking out EVERY character/vehicle every time they play. Suggestions?

That sounds like kids. I know that there's people out there that just buy the chips. Let me know if you find a way to convince kids to stop making a mess.

17 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

That sounds like kids. I know that there's people out there that just buy the chips. Let me know if you find a way to convince kids to stop making a mess.

I have a simple plan: if they play again and don't put everything back, then they're getting the ban hammer for a month 

• Like 1

This family is invested in Disney Infinity but Lego Dimensions is calling to me everyday!   I really do not want to get bogged down in two toys to life game taking all my money!  

How does it compare to Disney Infinity for those that have both?  Worth it?  Better? Worse?  

Edited by CoastaLego
spelling error

17 minutes ago, CoastaLego said:

This family is invested in Disney Infinity but Lego Dimensions is calling to me everyday!   I really do not want to get bogged down in two toys to life game taking all my money!  

How does it compare to Disney Infinity for those that have both?  Worth it?  Better? Worse?  

We bought both, with tons of figures.  He has a birthday close to Christmas.  He's played LEGO Dimensions one day, Infinity a few times, but he's still hooked on playing Halo.  I have a large box full of Infinity and Dimensions characters, untouched.

1 hour ago, minicoopers11 said:

Personally, I'm staying far away. If I had to, I would choose Portal, Dr Who, Ghostbusters, BTTF...

1 hour ago, jaylay said:

Is it even worthwhile to buy these for the minifigs and microbuilds as an investment?

Can anyone confirm that the mini figs are just regular mini figs, ie not permanently attached to another piece like the magnets and keychains.  I figure these will be deeply discounted at some point and will wait till then.  If so it's a good way to get cool minifigs.

58 minutes ago, waxwing said:

Can anyone confirm that the mini figs are just regular mini figs, ie not permanently attached to another piece like the magnets and keychains.  I figure these will be deeply discounted at some point and will wait till then.  If so it's a good way to get cool minifigs.

Yes. It is regular minifigs that you build on a special disc. The bricks help identify the disc, but are not necessary for functionality.