LEGO Dimensions

Sauromosis

55 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

They are regular minifigs. 

Personally, I don't think Dimensions is selling like anyone would like, hence the discounts. Not sure it has the traction to unseat the other TTL games. 

As a parent of two boys in the demographic who are obsessed with lego video games I still haven't bought in. The entry price for the game itself was too high... it's come down but needs to fall further. They made a big mistake pricing it over $100 before xmas... if the approach was to use a razor and blades business model they should have sold the razor for cheaper. 

• Like 1

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dimension Fun Packs are a great deal at $7.49 from Lego in my opinion.  A collectable minifigure with a micro build would easily sell for $7.99 plus a lot of smooshing.  There are a few killer and unusual minifigures out of these.  The biggest question is how long will Dimensions last.  I assume this sale is spur interest and complaints about it being too expensive instead of about imminent retirement.  The collectable minifigure market has been robust for many years.  Even if the game is a bust, these fun packs are winners.  The microbuilds are great, and they even come with display stands cooler than the CMF black.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaylay said:

Is it even worthwhile to buy these for the minifigs and microbuilds as an investment?

Tough to say - a couple of the minifigs are exclusives and probably will not be released again, and a couple are popular figs that have only been released in one other set.  The only investable play I see now is to part out the figs in these two categories.  That said, the exclusive minifig may have some long term gain ahead of them...

12 minutes ago, Quacs said:

Tough to say - a couple of the minifigs are exclusives and probably will not be released again, and a couple are popular figs that have only been released in one other set.  The only investable play I see now is to part out the figs in these two categories.  That said, the exclusive minifig may have some long term gain ahead of them...

Which figs are exclusive?

As long as you can price the minifigure in that sweet spot below the price of the pack where it makes sense for a LEGO collector to buy from you instead of buying the pack, it makes sense. These frequent sales help with that.

I think that some of these exclusive figures are likely to see release in some way later on. It doesn't make sense for LEGO to work on getting the licensing just for this game. Minecraft and Ghostbusters both point up to them expanding properties that sell well. The only thing limiting the reissues of these characters ifs if there is no demand. LEGO collectors may prop up some of the game packs that gamers don't want.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I think that some of these exclusive figures are likely to see release in some way later on. It doesn't make sense for LEGO to work on getting the licensing just for this game. Minecraft and Ghostbusters both point up to them expanding properties that sell well. The only thing limiting the reissues of these characters ifs if there is no demand. LEGO collectors may prop up some of the game packs that gamers don't want.

That's a risk for any long term investor of sets these days too...

4 hours ago, biking_tiger said:

They are regular minifigs. 

Personally, I don't think Dimensions is selling like anyone would like, hence the discounts. Not sure it has the traction to unseat the other TTL games. 

I'm wishing that Dimensions is an epic failure.  The Toys to Life genre is out of control.  My boys have dozens and dozens of Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures that sit in baskets virtually un-played with.  Even heavily discounted I don't want anything to do with Dimensions.  We picked up a Wii U for Christmas and it was incredibly refreshing to play Smash Bros. and have access to all the characters without having to buy a separate figure.  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Mathew said:

We picked up a Wii U for Christmas and it was incredibly refreshing to play Smash Bros. and have access to all the characters without having to buy a separate figure.  

But...but...but you don't have access to all the characters.  Some characters are DLC that you have to buy.

19 minutes ago, Jackson said:

But...but...but you don't have access to all the characters.  Some characters are DLC that you have to buy.

Which ones?  Upon starting the game we had access to all of the main Nintendo characters and it's fairly easy to un-lock the rest.  Compare that to TtL games where you only have two or three characters and the rest you have to purchase.  It's a joke.  And people are suckers to think that buying figures and setting them on a portal somehow adds to the gameplay.  

I think the release of the latest Lego game should kill off Dimensions.  My daughter is ready to sell off all of her dimensions stuff and play the new game when it comes out this week.  She still plays the Lego Movie game but Dimensions has maybe 6 hours of game time invested.

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

Funny thing is, some of these minifigs may hold value in the future.  Can't say the same for the other brands.

I think the problem for these Minifigs (and these kits) is they are basically going to suffer a similar fate as Speedorz in that there's going to be a zillion of them available. In addition to being sold in traditional LEGO outlets, these things are sold in places like BestBuy, etc etc - They had to have produced many more of them to handle the distribution. And, they were completely overpriced to begin with. I've personally felt from the getgo that at anything CLOSE to retail price, these little kits are not investment material. MAYBE at something like a $3-$3.50 buy in - You might be able to sell these at $10 or so down the road. But really, these are basically a Minifig - and what can't even really be called a SMALL Polybag stuck into a box. Those two things would retail for $7 normally. 

Another note is, like most video games, eventually these will be easy to find in used lots. People will dump their entire Dimensions collections, with all additional packs. I think these will be avail used very easily and cheaply as well.

If you like the game or want to have the minifigs and the models, buy away on discount. There is no way these don't end up at 70-75% and available in a lot of places, the exact same way you see Skylanders kits. 

To reiterate, for those eyeing these as investments, you are probably making a poor choice.  The exception MAY be exclusive type stuff, (Dr. Who, whatever) but who knows what may come back around at some point. I am (and am sure many are) eyeing the SAH page to see which if these sell out first, and that may give us an idea which may have some weight down the road.

That being said,  I think there are much safer investments at better prices. 

12 minutes ago, Achilles said:

That being said,  I think there are much safer investments at better prices. 

I agree with this.  Dimensions are the kind of sets that may seem very tempting because of the low buy-in, but I'm wary of these and haven't bought any yet.  If they get down to $3-$5, I may buy some, but it's too big of a risk at any price point higher than that in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, redcell said:

I agree with this.  Dimensions are the kind of sets that may seem very tempting because of the low buy-in, but I'm wary of these and haven't bought any yet.  If they get down to $3-$5, I may buy some, but it's too big of a risk at any price point higher than that in my opinion. 

I'm not a fan of the theme, but even at $7.50 each I think you'd have trouble losing money.  It's the labor involved packing and shipping a set like this for a likely few dollars' profit that keeps me away from Dimensions.  With a polybag set you can just drop it in a padded envelope and you're good to go.  Dimensions sets are awfully bulky considering what's inside.

Just chiming in here on the Dimensions discussion as I'm worried some people might get burned here.  Before starting to collect / invest in Lego I was and still am a lifetime gamer.  I've tried investing in video games before, things like Nintendo's Amiibo, etc.  I just want to point out that currently in the video game markets things are MASS produced and produced pretty much until the next new thing comes out which can take years and years.  I can't say with any certainty, but what I know about the video game industry tells me that these Dimensions mini figs are going to be produced at high capacity and in extreme quantities that probably far outnumber what Lego would normally produce for something not tied to a video game.  Things in the video game industry are not produced in tens of thousands, they are produced in millions upon millions.

This article is a year old but it speaks volumes for just how many of these figures might be getting produced:  http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/240-million-skylanders-toys-sold-date/

240 MILLION Skylanders in less than 4 years, averages out to about 20 million sold per quarter.  Now some will say "Skylanders is more popular than Dimensions will ever be".  Sure, that may be true, but that doesnt mean they havent produced these mini figs in the millions to meet potential demand.

Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

That being said for those still interested, Amazon has the Superman and Aquaman Dimensions figures for $8.50.  I thought I remember seeing them for 13 dollars yesterday.

Edited by rlangston77