LEGO Dimensions

Sauromosis

7 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Yep. They could have shaved off $25 by just having a cheap portal like Disney Infinity. The portal concept was interesting five years ago. Now it's just another thing you have to plug-in that gets in the way.  I'm hoping it's fad that will end soon. 

Let's buy an EV3 set to use a robot to change the discs in the portal via remote-control. I am sure Lego would like that.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I had to build the portal for my son.  That's one of the first things he said, "I don't want to build the portal".

My daughter built the portal then asked me why she wasted her time on that if its not needed.  She played dimensions for a few days after Christmas but she likes the ability to play many characters like in the Lego Movie game and other Lego games while this one she needs to buy more to keep adding characters to her crew.  She is only 6 and I think the other games were a bit easier for her.

16 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

I don't know if it has any connection to poor sales or not, but many video games get discounted substantially after the first month or two.  The Skylanders and Infinity starter packs can be had for steep discounts once they've been out for a little while.  I think they want to encourage more people to jump on board so they can boost sales of the expansion packs.

LEGO came in to toy to life genre way too late.  By 2015, Skylanders was in 4th (or was it 5th?) generation and Inifinity was 3rd.  Also,  there was amiibo craze that took away funds from WiiU fans

5 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

LEGO came in to toy to life genre way too late.  By 2015, Skylanders was in 4th (or was it 5th?) generation and Inifinity was 3rd.  Also,  there was amiibo craze that took away funds from WiiU fans

I'm beginning to wonder what they don't do too late?  They are the Microsoft of the toy world.  Except, they don't acquire who they can't beat.

• Like 4

Is Dimensions really popular with kids?  Meaning are they actually playing it?  Gave it to my 10, almost 11 year old son, and he played it once for a little bit and never went back to it.  He said he couldn't get past certain things and just got frustrated.  He loves regular Lego games in general, however.

6 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

Is Dimensions really popular with kids?  Meaning are they actually playing it?  Gave it to my 10, almost 11 year old son, and he played it once for a little bit and never went back to it.  He said he couldn't get past certain things and just got frustrated.  He loves regular Lego games in general, however.

Some of the "puzzles" are maddening. For a game targeted to kids there are way too many places in the game that left even me scratching my head - it's not that they are all that difficult it's that the game often gives you no indication as to what you are even supposed to be trying to solve. Too much time running around trying bash random things for clues as to how you move on tot he next thing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HappyHawkeye said:

Some of the "puzzles" are maddening. For a game targeted to kids there are way too many places in the game that left even me scratching my head - it's not that they are all that difficult it's that the game often gives you no indication as to what you are even supposed to be trying to solve. Too much time running around trying bash random things for clues as to how you move on tot he next thing.

Yeah, that's my impression.  Some his exact words were "Dad, I just want to play".

Glad I only bought two character packs.  They are unopened.

Edited by gmpirate

11 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

Yeah, that's my impression.  Some his exact words were "Dad, I just want to play".

Have he tried the LEGO SW Clone Wars video game?  That was by far the hardest LEGO game from Tt as far as solving the puzzles to advance. They did not give any indication how to solve some of the puzzles and a few involved convoluted steps :D

Just curious if Dimensions was on the same level of difficulty

13 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Have he tried the LEGO SW Clone Wars video game?  That was by far the hardest LEGO game from Tt as far as solving the puzzles to advance. They did not give any indication how to solve some of the puzzles and a few involved convoluted steps :D

Just curious if Dimensions was on the same level of difficulty

One of his favorite all time games. He played it with his older brother at the time, but with those games you could just "play".  And he at least knew what the objective was.

I haven't played Dimensions yet, but I could see kids getting a easily frustrated getting stuck at certain places because they haven't "purchased" a certain character.  That would annoy me as a parent to constantly hear "Dad, we need to buy another guy to keep going".

9 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

One of his favorite all time games. He played it with his older brother at the time, but with those games you could just "play".  And he at least knew what the objective was.

I haven't played Dimensions yet, but I could see kids getting a easily frustrated getting stuck at certain places because they haven't "purchased" a certain character.  That would annoy me as a parent to constantly hear "Dad, we need to buy another guy to keep going".

I don't think you need any extra character to beat the game . 

On that note , feel free to have a dimension gaming thread . 

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

I'm beginning to wonder what they don't do too late?  They are the Microsoft of the toy world.  Except, they don't acquire who they can't beat.

You have to have someone you can't beat first before you can acquire those you can't beat.

43 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

That was by far the hardest LEGO game from Tt as far as solving the puzzles to advance.

Did you not play the Hobbit?

I agree with idea that LEGO probably arrived too late to this.  It's definitely a good fusion between what LEGO is and what Toys to Life Games are.  But it's probably a little too late.

I'm looking forward to playing it with the kids some more.  With all the deals on the packs lately, I've ended up with everything except the Portal 2 and Simpsons Level packs, and the Bane Fun Pack and one of the Ninjago Fun Packs (both of those fun packs are on preorder).

Other than Doctor Who (because I wanted it on day one), I haven't paid more than 30% off for anything, but the reality is I haven't paid more 50% off on almost everything.  When you're offering these sets at 50% off, it becomes really easy to buy.  Last week's sale by Amazon, with even preorders, made it very easy to pick up a whole bunch of these up.

On the positive side - the fact that LEGO has said there's a 3 year plan encourages me that eventually, Disney properties (Disney, Marvel, Star Wars), may end up here.  It might not be until next year, but I have to think that Infinity will eventually dwindle, and Disney will want to continue to capitalize on the idea.