LEGO Dimensions

Sauromosis

16 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I, too, need to know the answer. We may even have to get a new gaming system (we have XBox 360 but I don't like it) so unlike to know how enjoyable this is

I know exciter has kids. Mine are almost 8 and 4 so they would be playing a bit.

No like XBox 360?  I can't imagine playing on any other system.  I have a Wii and had a PS3 and rarely played those.  The XBox controller totally spoils you.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

So, what's the verdict on Dimensions?  Those who have it, what say you?

I haven't played it, but I'm expecting a more polished Lego game where I now have to buy characters with actual money, not digital studs, to unlock them.  I think Lego knew what they were doing trying to tie in some nostalgia with BTTF, Scooby, Ghostbusters.  If it was just Chima, Ninjago, and some superheros stuff there is no way I would consider giving this as a Christmas gift.

24 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

No like XBox 360?  I can't imagine playing on any other system.  I have a Wii and had a PS3 and rarely played those.  The XBox controller totally spoils you.

I miss the OG Xbox giant controller.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I haven't played it, but I'm expecting a more polished Lego game where I now have to buy characters with actual money, not digital studs, to unlock them.  I think Lego knew what they were doing trying to tie in some nostalgia with BTTF, Scooby, Ghostbusters.  If it was just Chima, Ninjago, and some superheros stuff there is no way I would consider giving this as a Christmas gift.

This has been kind of remedied with the 1.03 patch for Lego Dimensions which added a "Hero for hire" feature where you can hire a character for 30 seconds to access or open a location that needs a special power/ability to be opened/unlocked. The 30 seconds should be enough to drill through a floor, or unlock a cage, or whatever, to get to the special brick locked up there. You pay for this with the studs collected in a level, where the first time you hire a hero costs 50,000 studs for that hero, but subsequent hires of that hero cost more with a maximum limit.

Besides the main quest there are also all of those Worlds to explore in free-roam style. You'll need a character of a certain world to be able to enter that World. So with only the Starter Pack you can only enter the free-roam Worlds of The Lego Movie, Batman, and Lord of the Rings.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Haay said:

Besides the main quest there are also all of those Worlds to explore in free-roam style. You'll need a character of a certain world to be able to enter that World. So with only the Starter Pack you can only enter the free-roam Worlds of The Lego Movie, Batman, and Lord of the Rings.

Now I see why that reviewer a few pages back complained about the price of this game.  I mean I can buy a LEGO Marvel (or LEGO Batman 3) game for $60, unlock all characters and access all free roam levels after a several hours of gameplay

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Now I see why that reviewer a few pages back complained about the price of this game.  I mean I can buy a LEGO Marvel (or LEGO Batman 3) game for $60, unlock all characters and access all free roam levels after a several hours of gameplay

In those games, the free roam is in the campaign (story) levels. You just revisit the same levels again. In LEGO Dimensions there are separate free roam Worlds connected to the characters. So you can both revisit the story line levels, AND visit separate free roam Worlds with extra quests.

Edited by Haay

16 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I, too, need to know the answer. We may even have to get a new gaming system (we have XBox 360 but I don't like it) so unlike to know how enjoyable this is

I know exciter has kids. Mine are almost 8 and 4 so they would be playing a bit.

10 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I miss the OG Xbox giant controller.

LOL, that thing was a boat anchor.

That's how I feel about my Xbox 360! Lol

I've wanted to throw it off my balcony since the day we got it. Every time I turn that thing on, it takes me 29 minutes to get a game going. There's all sorts of patches that need to be installed these days.

But even from the start it felt like it took 20 to actually start game play.

The Kinect drives me nuts because it loses the kids or me constantly. Doesn't matter info to mount high or low.

Last night was the first time in the years I've owned it that we actually enjoyed it. Somehow my 3 1/2 year was getting the sensor to recognize him and getting Disney Dance Party to respond to him. It was actually enjoyable to be able to walk away and do something else while he could play.

My 7 year old for years would start playing a game and it would constantly pause because it would stop tracking her. So after 10 mutes to get through a 3 minute game play, I'd stop and spend 15 minutes adjusting things. Only to have it behave the same way.

I have a Wii and love it, but we've gone through 2 of them know. Both have mysteriously stopped working after a couple of years. Which is too bad because we love the Mario games (Kart and Party).

Back to Dimensions. With the extra 10% off on top of 35% off at Target today looks like I'll pick up the 360 version and hope for the best.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Haay said:

In those games, the free roam is in the campaign (story) levels. You just revisit the same levels again. In LEGO Dimensions there are separate free roam Worlds connected to the characters. So you can both revisit the story line levels, AND visit separate free roam Worlds with extra quests.

Not really, in LEGO Batman 2, the free roam is the city of Gotham which is separate from the levels

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

My son doesn't like LEGO Batman 3 for this very reason.

Agreed that free roam in Gotham is better than Watchtower/Batcave/etc. in Batman 3.

46 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Not really, in LEGO Batman 2, the free roam is the city of Gotham which is separate from the levels

There are also quests/challenges in the free roam environment to collect gold bricks/red bricks/character tokens etc.  Does Dimensions have these side missions in the free roam?

14 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Target Cartwheel has Dimensions for 35% off today.

Additionally, if you text GAMER to 827438, you get an additional 10% off Toys to Life Games, including Dimensions.  That takes it down to $58.  Add Red Card for another 5% off to get it down to $55

Wish I had a Target nearby to use that Cartwheel.

Do you know if the Gamer coupon can be used online?

Edited to add:

Just texted and it looks like you may be able to use it online with promo code TOYS2LIFE

Off to check this out.

Edited by fuzzy_bricks
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Target Cartwheel has Dimensions for 35% off today.

Additionally, if you text GAMER to 827438, you get an additional 10% off Toys to Life Games, including Dimensions.  That takes it down to $58.  Add Red Card for another 5% off to get it down to $55

Tempting. I got into Disney Infinity when 3.0 came out so I really don't need to make Toys to Life games literally my life. Ahh what the hell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

How hard would it have been to make the portal wifi enabled? Its sucks that it is hardwired and I have to plug it into the console.

Cost and console constraints?  Wired connections are cheap and fast.  Wi-fi might increase the cost too much 

Could prob use Bluetooth if it's data transfer speeds are fast enough in the consoles.    I haven't used a video game console since the PS3 so don't know which consoles have bluetooth now.  I think the ps4 has version 2.2 which isn't fast. Not sure about the other consoles.

Version Data rate Max. application throughput
1.2 Mbit/s >80 kbit/s
2.0 + EDR 3 Mbit/s >80 kbit/s
3.0 + HS 24 Mbit/s See Version 3.0 + HS
4.0 24 Mbit/s See Version 4.0 LE
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...