10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

Ewoks. Been out longer and not a refresh.

This is a good point and is a +1 for this set. There is a good variety of pieces for the EV and plenty of minifigs but the price kind of kills it, which may help in the secondary market.

Good choice... I'm avoiding the Ewok Village as these "Teddy Bears" spoiled ROTJ for me. Dwaves in fancy dress isn't my idea of special effects. It's also more of a toy than collector's item like the Live Star.

I consider the DS much more of a toy/doll house than the EV. I picture the EV set up more as a diorama but I do get where you're coming from. I do own one EV and an R5 and will get a sandcrawler eventually.

It's tough to choose out of those 3 for investment purposes. Like Binou said, maybe none. The R5 does look great but there are so many x-wings. The EV is a first but it is more along the lines of a play set (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and even though the sandcrawler is pretty well designed (and I am a fan of it), it would be like having a shipping box on display.

Personally I will only have one of each, I don't see myself investing in these.

Edit: *Biniou (my bad)

Edited by speedsausage

Take this FWIW, but I purchased a Red-5 from Lego shop at home for my personal collection and it arrived today.  The seal code was 11R3, which would mean it was from one of the first production batches back in 2013.

Stock sent back. R5 disapeared very silently from collishop. I followed the quantities and it stayed more or less the same at 20+. From one day to another, they were gone so quite possible they have been sent back to sender.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked this up last month for 140US and my fiancee and I built this over the weekend (alternating bags).  It's nice and makes a solid display, but it isn't a noticeable  improvement of the 7191 and I will take a pass on any for investment as there are better options out there.

I came to post my bag by bag pictures and decided to skim through most of the thread and relive a lot of the arguments about value. It appears that new 7191s haven't suffered too much from the update but used ones (predictably) have.

I think this set is about the hardest for me to get my hands on for a reasonable price. I only have 1 and it's not because lack of searching. It's at 219 or 229. Lowest I saw it available to buy was 175.

I do like the set alot and agree with Biniou it still has a year orso left.

Hope to get some more of it, or at least a second one because my fingers are itching to build this one. X-wing is one of the more recognisable (and most beautiful imo) SW ships. I'd prefer to put this on display anytime above a sandcrawler, SSD or an Ewok village.

Have you built an SSD? It is an absolutely beautiful display piece and sits front and center in my home, at least until I acquire a UCS MF.  Ewok village sits in my bedroom so that I may have nightmares. ;)

I really feel like this one is about to crash, too... easily lost as it is amidst the plethora of more desirable, more unique, more exciting exclusives already jumping on the new retirement bandwagon.

Is it truly as poor of a seller as it seems? Why? Perhaps because anyone interested in it to begin with already has two or six other X-wings of some sort, all much cheaper and paid for? Stickers, huh? PPP, you say? There was already a UCS X-wing? What is the real draw here, exactly?

Assuming some sort of truth in that assumption, my big question is whether the lack of interest will carry over into the EOL years to come, making this a poor to average performer... or if it will translate into a massive supply/demand imbalance due to the corresponding rarity of the set on the secondary market.

A potential UCS TIE Fighter in the near future complicates predictions even more. It should raise demand for this set in its waning months (unless that time is now) and/or post EOL, . It would also demand shelf space, which conventional logic would dictate comes from the Ewoks. It might make more sense to try and sell this ship alongside a TIE... stretching its lifespan considerably. Or there might be no such idea at all. I have a hunch the Ewok Village is around a while, though, especially if 10188 finally bites the bullet soon.

Episode VII and a new X-wing design? How quickly will Lego have to jump on that situation and what does it mean for this set?

Honestly the way things are going now, they could have stopped producing it already and we might not know for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me if there are still a comparable number of R2's in B&M stores out there at this moment. With much more available capital I would prioritize this set pretty highly these days, knowing it could be a very high risk / high return venture.

I like your perspective; it is very well composed. I'm still not buying 10240 for investment as I believe that there are safer, highly profitable sets to buy instead.

post-30305-0-00278400-1420436130_thumb.j

Bag 1

post-30305-0-37670800-1420436143_thumb.j

Bag 2

post-30305-0-72834800-1420436153_thumb.j

Bag 3

post-30305-0-89231300-1420436165_thumb.j

Bag 4

post-30305-0-65609400-1420436176_thumb.j

Bag 5, including the "sled"

post-30305-0-24620900-1420436186_thumb.j

Bag 6

post-30305-0-69128100-1420436195_thumb.j

Bag 7

post-30305-0-90679600-1420436205_thumb.j

Bag 8

post-30305-0-14516500-1420436217_thumb.j

Bag 9

post-30305-0-75973700-1420436228_thumb.j

Bag 10 - Finished Product

Edited by redghostx
  • Like 5

After what has happened with the 9493 X-wing price-wise on the secondary market over the last month or two, are people any more bullish on the 10240's prospects after retirement (whenever that may be)?  Especially with the new movies coming out?

Alternatively, would you rather have four 9493's bought at the once-common price of $50 or one 10240 for a long-term hold?

would you rather have four 9493's bought at the once-common price of $50 or one 10240 for a long-term hold?

Long-term ? The UCS. Because an other $50 x-wing can come back anytime, so it may arm the value of the 9493.

To resell within the next 6 monts ? $50 models.

More profits to be made with the second option BTW.

But there are no more 9493 to be found online, except in the wild at retail price, so...

I think Pet Shop is sooner than Red 5 but I think everyone will be sitting around in July saying they wish they had gotten more.

I have no source on this one it is just a feeling and could be wrong.

I do have a personal one but I think I'll be sitting this shift out. It's a sexy beast and I don't think anyone will lose money on it, even at cdn msrp.

has anyone ordered these via walmart.com with instore pickup?

if you ordered 2 did they come in a case?

haven't ordered any exclusives like this from walmart in about 9 months after they were consistently getting stickered/plastered with labels on the box.

wondering if things have changed .  have some walmart GC's burning a hole in my pocket and like to pick up in store in tax-free NH.

tia

With word of the new Lego X-wings coming out in September, there might not be as much demand on the previous X-wings. 

Btw, the new X-wings in the movie are different colors, despite what we saw in the trailer.  There are more.

Why would the new X-wings significantly reduce demand for the classic UCS one? For the small one I could understand but for the adults (UCS target consumers) I firmly believe that the OT versions will always be regarded better for emotional reasons.

its quite funny how people get jittery about it. Even if a new x-wing comes out, which is absolutely normal, who said it will be a proper UCS?

they can have as many x wings in microfighter editions, or mid range stuff, but for the hard core SW fans there is only one bad ass xwing and that's the 10240!

also...microfighters and non ucs sets are for kids. And you don't spend mega bucks for an ucs for your kids to play with, lose parts and mess around. So target group is totally different and people buying UCS are after UCS. Fullstop

If a set is of quality, it will be affected very little by similar remakes. The original 7191 has not been affected to any major degree and I would imagine any new versions would not affect the first two UCS X-Wings.

From the looks if it, the new X-Wings have offset wings and they look quite different if examined closely. The older versions might even be helped when the new version is released. Same goes for the new version of the Falcon with the rectangular radar dish.

• Like 1

my thoughts. 

used 7191 sale prices have pretty much either stayed the same or declined from the 2013 values (sure, there were some outlier sales). the refresh did hurt the 7191 set (at least for now). i can't say that about MISB 7191 sales since they are so few.

i look at it this way...if someone really wants an UCS X-Wing, they will think whether to spend $300+ for a used 7191 or $200 for a new 10240.

i do think if 7191 was the only UCS X-Wing still, the prices would be closer to $1,300 and $600. it's so iconic and was featured in the ep 7 trailer. people are excited about it again.

If a set is of quality, it will be affected very little by similar remakes. The original 7191 has not been affected to any major degree and I would imagine any new versions would not affect the first two UCS X-Wings.

From the looks if it, the new X-Wings have offset wings and they look quite different if examined closely. The older versions might even be helped when the new version is released. Same goes for the new version of the Falcon with the rectangular radar dish.

• Like 1