10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah, I'm in two minds about this one. I don't think it's another B-wing by any means though. And the point about people wanting to pair it with a UCS Tie is a good one. Scarcity could be its biggest plus down the line.

I'm thinking that having a couple tucked away might not be a bad idea. I can't see it losing money at least.

As a collector, I will probably pass on this. We already have 2 versions of the set, price is too high and there are better sets for that price point. At least the B-wing was different and new.  Probably the only way I get it would be if it goes on sale again.  If not, I will just wait for another release in 4 years :cheese:

Two thoughts.  The first is, it would be really cool if the UCS TIE Fighter were to scale with 10240.  It would open up some neat display possibilities.  In any case, though, I think 10240 begs for some kind of discount.  The BOGO mistake at target earlier this year was probably a good time to buy, but I didn't imagine then that Lego planned to retire half their exclusives this year.  I'm not always up to the minute on the 2015 releases, but I think we're entering a period when there will not be a normal size X-Wing in production.  That might have some positive effect on 10240 in the near term, assuming it retires late this year or early 2015.

Orthanc and this set are the same price here in the US. Which would you rather spend the $$$ on? Red-Five as Ed stated will grow but how high? Enough to double after fees on eBay? Probably not. I don't see this set as being a heavy gainer because of how many models there are and it doesn't have that "X" factor that so many Star Wars sets have. Most of them make you want to buy it while this set makes you want to leave it and go for a different set. Especially with Slave I coming out. Only people that will walk into a LEGO store and walk out with an X wing over the Slave I are those who are very hard set and love the X-wing.

I agree with your analysis. A couple issues with the set. It's a remake of one of the classic LEGO sets of all time and many investors and collectors already have a 7191, which some argue is the better set. Also, X-Wings have so many versions, the market is over saturated. The set is priced too high and the box is weak. It doesn't even look like a UCS set. I also think that this set will disappear without much fanfare, while many people are paying attention to Advent Calendars or Rocket Raccoons or some other low hanging fruit.

This set has been discounted numerous times and there is a reason for that, it might not be worth the current MSRP. Will it appreciate after EOL? Sure. But it might be a slow climb.

I have been interested in this set for quite a while, probably from introduction. I don't recall seeing it at a discount. What did I miss? 'How low did it go'?

Two thoughts.  The first is, it would be really cool if the UCS TIE Fighter were to scale with 10240.  It would open up some neat display possibilities.  In any case, though, I think 10240 begs for some kind of discount.  The BOGO mistake at target earlier this year was probably a good time to buy, but I didn't imagine then that Lego planned to retire half their exclusives this year.  I'm not always up to the minute on the 2015 releases, but I think we're entering a period when there will not be a normal size X-Wing in production.  That might have some positive effect on 10240 in the near term, assuming it retires late this year or early 2015.

I think it is possible that we won't see an episode 4-6 X-Wing for a long time.  Episode 7+ have a new X-Wing. If those movies are popular I expect to see TLG produce new-style X-Wings for the next few years. Will they also bring back an old-style X-Wing to be on the shelves at the same time?

When I saw this set build, I thought it was awesome. However, like noted already, the box art stinks. Most Star Wars sets with Yoda printed on the box seem to fly under the radar and (until now) perform poorly. You can correct me if I am wrong. I really do not understand that Lego choose to use this box art. The classic Star Wars white and blue is much better.

I only own one X-wing and always tell myself to buy more of them. But at the end of the day I always prefer to buy other sets. I think that is the disadvantage but could turn into an advantage after retirement.

Here in my area it is also hard to find it on a nice discount. Which is strange cause I always think of it as a poor seller. But I can be wrong.

Maybe I will end up with max. 3 in my stack. Just in case. Or I just might stick with one.  

If you're talking about the box art as far as whether Yoda or Darth Maul is on the box, that has nothing to do with Lego.  All SW products will have the same box art.  If it's the picture of the R5 itself that you don't like, then that's a different story.  I personally like the box that it's in as far as showing it flying away from the Live Star.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Ok I can have one of these, an ewok village or a sandcrawler all at MSRP - 20%.  Which two would you choose?  I am going for Xwing and Sandcrawler as I can