10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

Once again, people are wavering on buying a set that is on the homestretch. They come up with all sorts of reasons not to buy. Looking back at recent threads, the pattern is the same every time.

My question to those who wait(besides not having the money)...Why wait? When all is said and done we are arguing about a few months of time. Do you really think that a set like the Red 5, which has been discounted numerous times, is going to last another year?

I think the more important question is not when it will retire, but will the set be a better investment than some other sets that are available at retail and/or possibly above retail?

I think the more important question is not when it will retire, but will the set be a better investment than some other sets that are available at retail and/or possibly above retail?

This.  It is hard (for me) to justify Red5 when there are better options for my money.  Some of us are not blessed with unlimited capital and just need to make the hard choices.

ETA: Damn this sounded too real... back to my jokes and youtube videos :P

Edited by Darth_Raichu
  • Like 2

If this set ever goes on sale, I would pick one up.  With Legos stance on not discounting exclusives, I have to pick and choose more carefully now.  I wouldn't mind the set but for $200+, I think I would rather go with the Slave 1 or Tumbler.

Is the best deal on this through Amazon if you are not charged tax?  Michigan only has until next October to take advantage of that.

I am not thinking this is a guarantee long term must have set...

What i am thinking is there will be no other UCS X Wing available this Christmas when the movie comes out.

It combines Christmas, Star Wars, the need for UCS Models and appreciation.

At a minimum I see these things turning a very good return on MFLL (Medium Flipping Low Life)

• Like 1

I am not thinking this is a guarantee long term must have set...

What i am thinking is there will be no other UCS X Wing available this Christmas when the movie comes out.

It combines Christmas, Star Wars, the need for UCS Models and appreciation.

At a minimum I see these things turning a very good return on MFLL (Medium Flipping Low Life)

Yes. I'm not holding mine like the precious... er, Town Halls. ;)

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what are the Han Solo calendar coupons and how much are they for?

In Nov and Dec 2014, a customer who purchased $75+ at a Lego retail store received a 2015 calendar, which contains 3 coupons.  One coupon entitles the customer to receive a Han Solo mini-figure with any Star Wars purchase in Feb 2015.

It sounds like its retirement does not change your opinion?

My opinion is that it is a wonderful model and display.  The box is crappy.  Looks cheap.  The old version is just as good and has a classic box.  The new version will never hit those levels in my opinion.  The new movies will have different X-Wings, so who knows how that will affect interest in the old ones.  I have my share of these, but it is not a home run by any means.  

The Red 5 was discounted numerous times early on in the production cycle, besides all the free Y-Wings and other promos.  It was packaged or discounted so much, I figured it was a poor seller and stopped buying them.

one of those rare times when i agree with Ed :P

i clearly remember target (buy 1 get 1 40% off) 20% off on this and ToO. ToO was OOS within hours and this was in discount for the whole week and still not gone. It clearly defines that this is a poor seller but with HORDE attitude and people jumping to all exclusives no doubt this will also be gone but i am staying away from this from investment perspective.

when all said and done i do have 2 copies of this for my personal collection.

Red-5 is going to limit the growth of 9493.

btw i need more 9493 than red-5 ... i said that months ago and saying it again... for my squadron i need 6 9493 and just 1 red-5... :)

i have enough for 2 squadron and that's about it :)

Edited by newbie77

one of those rare times when i agree with Ed :P

i clearly remember target (buy 1 get 1 40% off) 20% off on this and ToO. ToO was OOS within hours and this was in discount for the whole week and still not gone. It clearly defines that this is a poor seller but with HORDE attitude and people jumping to all exclusives no doubt this will also be gone but i am staying away from this from investment perspective.

when all said and done i do have 2 copies of this for my personal collection.

Red-5 is going to limit the growth of 9493.

btw i need more 9493 than red-5 ... i said that months ago and saying it again... for my squadron i need 6 9493 and just 1 red-5... :)

i have enough for 2 squadron and that's about it :)

And how many TIE fighters do you have ? You know you need at least twice as many TIEs to make the display look "realistic" ;)

In Nov and Dec 2014, a customer who purchased $75+ at a Lego retail store received a 2015 calendar, which contains 3 coupons.  One coupon entitles the customer to receive a Han Solo mini-figure with any Star Wars purchase in Feb 2015.

Awesome.  I have two of these but they are still sealed up.  I didn't know there were goodies inside!  What's the other 2 coupons?

And how many TIE fighters do you have ? You know you need at least twice as many TIEs to make the display look "realistic" ;)

that's where i messed up :( apparently i bought too less of tie fighter. sold them too quick and am now regretting only having 2 TIE fighters :( .... they vanished from my inventory faster than flies.... :P

but i do have  dozen mini-tie interceptors to make for it :)