10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

I love it and think it looks great built. The box is awful and makes it seem like a slightly bigger 9493. But the model itself it beautiful. Haven't built one yet, but I will.

I don't think box art really affects value that much.  There are probably very few MISB Lego collectors, I can't imagine the space you'd need for a reasonably sized collection.

I've built this model and think it looks great.  The only thing I'd knock it for is some scale issues... I wish they'd use the 4x4 droid dome like they used on Obi-Wan's ship; the R2 minifig looks miniscule next to the X-Wing.  The engines also need to be a bit bigger too.  Those issues aside, it makes for a great display piece.  I think the UCS TIE Fighter will also drive the price of this set up, you can't have one without the other.

• Like 1

Just a bit of info from the UK market.

This set was widely available at Argos UK, major retailer. Together with the R2 it was a big seller.

First R2 disappeared from Argos, shortly after that, R5 disappeared too so its no longer available and I haven't seen any re-stocking taking place, to the point that it's gone from the website (Argos). To me this is a good indication already...

• Like 1

I also got my second "order delayed" e-mail from shop at home on a Jan. 1st order today.  I have gotten 8 from Target in the last 2 weeks with redcard and discount GC combo.  I also used $125 worth of TRU rewards to get one for $75 on TRU.com yesterday.  I wonder if the scarcity of 9493 during the holidays made people decide to spend a little more and get the UCS version?  I know I was selling 9493's for $110-$115 as fast as I could find them at Walmarts for $48 in late November/December.  Seems crazy to spend that much on a $60 set when you could get the UCS for $199.  I think it will hit $325 by the time Target and LEGO Shop at Home run out, but probably won't hit $400 for a while.

• Like 1

Just a bit of info from the UK market.

This set was widely available at Argos UK, major retailer. Together with the R2 it was a big seller.

First R2 disappeared from Argos, shortly after that, R5 disappeared too so its no longer available and I haven't seen any re-stocking taking place, to the point that it's gone from the website (Argos). To me this is a good indication already...

I wouldn't be surprised if Argos had their hand forced: R5, Technic Volvo, Ghostbusters all no longer listed. John Lewis going the same way to: no Tower Bridge, Parisian Restaurant or Palace Cinema. It makes me wonder if TLG are transitioning towards greater control over their exclusive products. Maybe this is the big change that Ed was referring to back towards the end of the year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Argos had their hand forced: R5, Technic Volvo, Ghostbusters all no longer listed. John Lewis going the same way to: no Tower Bridge, Parisian Restaurant or Palace Cinema. It makes me wonder if TLG are transitioning towards greater control over their exclusive products. Maybe this is the big change that Ed was referring to back towards the end of the year.

Wouldn't surprise me - even with the 'no discount' policy there are always folks posting on here with success at using coupons, codes, manager specials and other discounts. More control over exclusives would make it much harder to stockpile for resellers as well as maybe better control over stock levels?

• Like 1

@trekgate502 - Can you please share how you check the qty with Target?

Genuinely just picked up the phone and called them.  Did the same when R2 was going on.

It was slightly over 200 last week as  I mentioned.  I bet they are at 100 or so now.

Does someone want to call this time and ask?

Toys R Us will not give that information out on the phone I have tried.  They say they don't know whether they do or not.

• Like 2

Genuinely just picked up the phone and called them.  Did the same when R2 was going on.

It was slightly over 200 last week as  I mentioned.  I bet they are at 100 or so now.

Does someone want to call this time and ask?

Toys R Us will not give that information out on the phone I have tried.  They say they don't know whether they do or not.

with unlimited purchasing power of BP'er i seriously doubt that they only had slightly over 200

either that or BP'ers are not really sold on to this one hence not buying.. otherwise we saw how fast $199+ sets vanishes from retailers (in 4 days walmart, amazon and target were poofed for TH, PS, R2D2 etc)....

with the en mass horde effect it should have been gone by now ...

with unlimited purchasing power of BP'er i seriously doubt that they only had slightly over 200

either that or BP'ers are not really sold on to this one hence not buying.. otherwise we saw how fast $199+ sets vanishes from retailers (in 4 days walmart, amazon and target were poofed for TH, PS, R2D2 etc)....

with the en mass horde effect it should have been gone by now ...

They gave me a specific exact quantity of how many they had and were quite confident.  I called several times during the R2 wind down and it worked like clock work.  Less people are buying this than you believe.

• Like 2

They gave me a specific exact quantity of how many they had and were quite confident.  I called several times during the R2 wind down and it worked like clock work.  Less people are buying this than you believe.

i thought it was buy first ask questions later.. what happened .. .:D

BP'ers (i have faith in your.. poof this already )

I have started buying Red 5 lately to add more to my stash. I don't want to be in another R2D2 situation. No one believed that R2 would be going and I see many of the same excuses listed here. The chance that this set is going away now is non-zero. It's certainly not 100% either but several signs are there. If you want some and have enough money to not have to wait until the very last EOL minute then certainly now is the time to buy. Especially with discounted GC because many folks got these on discount (flash sale bogo 40% at target and free palpy arrest at TRU)

They now have less than 50 left.  I expect them to be gone by tomorrow at the latest.

Keep in mind it could come back, that Toys R Us has stock and you can order at Lego.

By no means does this mean it is going away.  It does mean stock will be gone this week at Target whether they restock or not.

good one sir....

• Like 1