10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

that's where i messed up :( apparently i bought too less of tie fighter. sold them too quick and am now regretting only having 2 TIE fighters :( .... they vanished from my inventory faster than flies.... :P

but i do have  dozen mini-tie interceptors to make for it :)

You can still get mini TIE-Fighters 8028 cheaply on eBay or build them from spare parts

Have you built both? If so, I am surprised to hear this. I have built both and think the new version is very much improved.

I have.  The new one is slightly larger and I like the engines, but overall, it really will make no difference in the LEGO secondary market in my opinion.  The old version was a classic.

You can still get mini TIE-Fighters 8028 cheaply on eBay or build them from spare parts

You know that gives me an idea for some lots to sell. An imperial polybag pack with the Tie Fighter, Imperial Shuttle 30246 and AT-DP. I forgot I had a pile of 8028 thanks for reminding me.

I assume you mean disappeared from the Lego B&M stores?  I got my first from Target, and a few more from TRU.  My first one from target came with a few more box creases than I like... I was going to return it, but may just hang on to it until I see it back in stock at Lego.

I assume you mean disappeared from the Lego B&M stores?  I got my first from Target, and a few more from TRU.  My first one from target came with a few more box creases than I like... I was going to return it, but may just hang on to it until I see it back in stock at Lego.

yes

Stopped by a lego store today (Park Meadows), and they had four Red Fives and about the same number of ToO on the shelf. Even with the retirement rumors neither seems to be that strong of a seller.

Town Hall was one of the worst selling modulars.... Doing just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 2

Yep, if ToO or Red Five are to become the next Town Hall everyone still has their chance to stock up. Jump on the bandwagon. 

I am counting on you US guys to clear the shelves over there first like what happened with the SSD. Normally here in Europe it should give us some time to react after that and start hoarding. I know there is a risk but my pockets are tight these days. So I have to choose my long-term investment sets wisely. 

• Like 2

This set could well be double sided knife. I am quite bullish when it comes to the display qualities of this one because it looks amazing. And to those of you who say it looks the same as the little brother 9493 you better go to the doctor and check your eyes guys! However, regardless of how good this set looks it has nothing to do with its potential as an investment. History has shown us that some amazing sets LEGO underperform, while some mediocre looking sets give great returns. So here is my theory bellow..

- On the one hand side this could indeed be next TH. Many people moan about it, but once it's gone there will be panic and only then people will acknowledge the real qualities of this set! Also the upcoming Tie Fighter will help push this through the door, while complimenting it at the same time as those two fighting in battle are a hallmark of the Star Wars movies. New & old fans who will buy the UCS Tie Fighter will want the X-Wing too! I am one of them!

- On the other hand side, this could well be another B-Wing scenario. The 10227 might be quite unknown in the movies but proper SW fans know about it and as a design it's quite unusual which makes it very interesting. Still, the return on this one as an investment is a proper joke!

As with the previous edition of the X-Wing, i don't think this will have an effect on the performance of the 10240.

Other than preemptive EOL purchasing, why do people think this set is retiring?

few indicators, first has been will ship in 30 days on LEGO Shop at Home for awhile now, but stock seems plentiful at B&M and some other locations.  Second it is approaching the 2 year mark which seems to be when many sets see EOL.  Finally, and this is more my personal assumption, with the slave 1 out, and a new UCS tie on the horizon.  Plus 2 other "UCS" sets in Ewok and Sand availabe, and "USC" sets from other lines filling shelves, the "UCS" options are over extended.  I suspect we will see a number of these large sets drop off this year, and Red5 is assumed to be next on the chopping block.  Part of the draw of collectables is that they are limited, if too many UCS sets are available, it will hurt sales on all of them.

(i use UCS in quotes to include actualy UCS sets as well as those that are large sets that are similar but tagged as UCS)

Edited by jay4e

• UCS sets usually have a 3+ years retail life.  the only exception was the slow-selling 10227 B-wing.
  • This set is popular enough to give it at least 3 years availability especially with it's appearance in ep 7. this set will only have higher demand come Dec 2015.  now if this was a non-UCS version (like the recently sol-out MF, i would totally understand if it was nearly done).
  • i wouldn't worry right now about the other SW UCS and larger sets on retail shelves as they all seem to be decent sellers.   additionally, most sellers of this set use warehouse space (and not in physical stores).
  • while lego.com stock might be 30 days behind, online retailers aren't selling out which usually means lego just isn't producing enough for their own online stores.

just my 2 cents.

few indicators, first has been will ship in 30 days on LEGO Shop at Home for awhile now, but stock seems plentiful at B&M and some other locations.  Second it is approaching the 2 year mark which seems to be when many sets see EOL.  Finally, and this is more my personal assumption, with the slave 1 out, and a new UCS tie on the horizon.  Plus 2 other "UCS" sets in Ewok and Sand availabe, and "USC" sets from other lines filling shelves, the "UCS" options are over extended.  I suspect we will see a number of these large sets drop off this year, and Red5 is assumed to be next on the chopping block.  Part of the draw of collectables is that they are limited, if too many UCS sets are available, it will hurt sales on all of them.

(i use UCS in quotes to include actually UCS sets as well as those that are large sets that are similar but not technically UCS)

• Like 1

• while lego.com stock might be 30 days behind, online retailers aren't selling out which usually means lego just isn't producing enough for their own online stores.

Amazon has been out of stock for a while.

Walmart is out of stock for over 10 days - the day after i ordered my last pair from them they went out of stock.

shop at home has been shipping in 30  days now for over a month.

so basically its target and tru that have them where you can order them and get them shipped.

so more than half of the retailers who sell this are out of stock at the moment including the US largest online retailer and the worlds largest brick and mortar retailer's online shop.  

i'm not sure if its going EOL soon but i won't be scrambling for stock when it does.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

http://www.brickpicker.com/brickwatcher/lego-stock-checker.cfm

so we can still order the set from 3 of the 5 major US retailers.  amazon will get restocked. no idea about walmart as i don't shop there unless the last resort.  amazon has been out of stock for 4-5 weeks (it was the xmas season)

i wouldn't be worried about shop@home's shipping delays until they begin cease taking orders from time to time.  what i think we are seeing right now is just resellers (and fans) ordering more sets now than stores usually keep in stock for a $200 item.  it's not cheap.

it debuted in May 2013.  now i can be totally wrong.  my gut tells me we have at least another year (or maybe 2) from May 2015..

i do suggest to buying some now if you have the space but don't sweat it if you don't.  i just would not be unloading sets like GE, TH, SC, HH, and SSD just to make space for 10240..yet...

http://www.brickpicker.com/brickwatcher/lego-stock-checker.cfm

Amazon has been out of stock for a while.

Walmart is out of stock for over 10 days - the day after i ordered my last pair from them they went out of stock.

shop at home has been shipping in 30  days now for over a month.

so basically its target and tru that have them where you can order them and get them shipped.

so more than half of the retailers who sell this are out of stock at the moment including the US largest online retailer and the worlds largest brick and mortar retailer's online shop.  

i'm not sure if its going EOL soon but i won't be scrambling for stock when it does.