10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm not sure if its been mentioned in this thread already or not, but it would probably make some sense for them to keep Red Five production alive long enough to have some sales overlap with the forthcoming TIE UCS set.  Those two would compliment each other VERY well, and the ability to buy both at the same time would surely have massive appeal.

I'm not sure if its been mentioned in this thread already or not, but it would probably make some sense for them to keep Red Five production alive long enough to have some sales overlap with the forthcoming TIE UCS set.  Those two would compliment each other VERY well, and the ability to buy both at the same time would surely have massive appeal.

Makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, it never seems to work out that way.

"Surely the Haunted House will be around through October..."

"They won't retire R2 before the new movies..."

"The Pet Shop will go before Town Hall..."

TLG operates by it's own logic.

• Like 9

Makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, it never seems to work out that way.

"Surely the Haunted House will be around through October..."

"They won't retire R2 before the new movies..."

"The Pet Shop will go before Town Hall..."

TLG operates by it's own logic.

Yet none of those sets you mentioned is technically retired.  TLG could just start producing any one of those sets today. Now that would be #chaos :devil:

Yes, and I have a mail from Lego when they cancelled my order saying it is no longer available to prove it! EOL is end of line and the line has ended - until a new line starts!

If it returns next winter they will be getting a letter from me requesting they fulfill my order at the sale price.

Being serious, it

• Like 1

Nothing is set in stone. However the increase in probability of any set being retired/retiring soon is signaled by 'Sold Out', etc. Is it 100%? No. This is another stochastic factor in investment. Learn to think in probabilities and expected values instead of trying to be perfectly sure of events. When the cat is already out of the bag you are too late, the market has already moved to the new equilibrium and diminished the ex ante profit. 

So if the probability (by subjective assessment) is high enough just buy the set instead of freaking out multiple times about the small chance of being wrong. On average it will work out very well. If you find yourself being on the wrong end of the stick in the end then the optimal portfolio you are supposed to manage saves your ass. That's why people buy multiple types, to eliminate the individual risks. 

So if anybody invested most of his/her fortune in a single set which came back/remained on the market for an unexpectedly long time and got kicked in the balls then I can say it was well deserved.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1