10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

Well... R5 is priced about $50 too high so this is one I hesitate to buy at MSRP.  It's several pounds lighter than TH for the same cost.  Interesting to speculate on it though.  Retirements are getting weird.  Back in 2012 when the retiring soon tag was invented at LEGO Shop at Home, I thought Lego was going to give a heads up for everything.  These days, not so much.  At least we get advance notice on speedorz.

Well... R5 is priced about $50 too high so this is one I hesitate to buy at MSRP. It's several pounds lighter than TH for the same cost. Interesting to speculate on it though. Retirements are getting weird. Back in 2012 when the retiring soon tag was invented at LEGO Shop at Home, I thought Lego was going to give a heads up for everything. These days, not so much. At least we get advance notice on speedorz.

Those retiring soon tags were and still are just another promotion tool of S @ H. Too many sets went straight to "retired" status without getting the "retiring soon" tag to make it a reliable indicator. Plus, there are too many "retiring soon" sets stay in stock way past the other sets released at the same timeframe.

Why don't we just get the panic hoarding started? Might as well, done with every other large set the past month.

Panic buying is going to continue because it has been absolutely warranted by the effective retirements of so many sets recently (SSD, HH, Sopwith, GE, TH, R2).  If you think these sets are coming back for anything other than a brief last appearance at random retailers then you have not been paying attention.

• Like 1

Well... R5 is priced about $50 too high so this is one I hesitate to buy at MSRP.

I am more worried about the bad reputation of the sticker's cockpit. Some buyers may be upset by this, and would be more inclined to pass this UCS (or may be ok to get one but not at a high price). Overall I would fear that it would arm the CAGR of new sets.

I would even think that a used R5 in great condition (with box and instructions) with the sticker applied perfectly could be sold the same price as a MISB set. Because I'm really goofy, I would be ok with that (and maybe I'm not the only one).

Edited by biniou
  • Like 2

I think most people don't put on the stickers and it still looks good. But I think then, what's the point in putting in stickers then. Would have been preferred (for this price anyways and it's UCS) they made it printed. In fact, the stickers is why I chose to make a Pet Shop and reveiw instead of the R5. You god a point there

I really feel like this one is about to crash, too... easily lost as it is amidst the plethora of more desirable, more unique, more exciting exclusives already jumping on the new retirement bandwagon.

Is it truly as poor of a seller as it seems? Why? Perhaps because anyone interested in it to begin with already has two or six other X-wings of some sort, all much cheaper and paid for? Stickers, huh? PPP, you say? There was already a UCS X-wing? What is the real draw here, exactly?

Assuming some sort of truth in that assumption, my big question is whether the lack of interest will carry over into the EOL years to come, making this a poor to average performer... or if it will translate into a massive supply/demand imbalance due to the corresponding rarity of the set on the secondary market.

A potential UCS TIE Fighter in the near future complicates predictions even more. It should raise demand for this set in its waning months (unless that time is now) and/or post EOL, . It would also demand shelf space, which conventional logic would dictate comes from the Ewoks. It might make more sense to try and sell this ship alongside a TIE... stretching its lifespan considerably. Or there might be no such idea at all. I have a hunch the Ewok Village is around a while, though, especially if 10188 finally bites the bullet soon.

Episode VII and a new X-wing design? How quickly will Lego have to jump on that situation and what does it mean for this set?

Honestly the way things are going now, they could have stopped producing it already and we might not know for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me if there are still a comparable number of R2's in B&M stores out there at this moment. With much more available capital I would prioritize this set pretty highly these days, knowing it could be a very high risk / high return venture.

• Like 4

I really feel like this one is about to crash, too... easily lost as it is amidst the plethora of more desirable, more unique, more exciting exclusives already jumping on the new retirement bandwagon.

Is it truly as poor of a seller as it seems? Why? Perhaps because anyone interested in it to begin with already has two or six other X-wings of some sort, all much cheaper and paid for? Stickers, huh? PPP, you say? There was already a UCS X-wing? What is the real draw here, exactly?

Assuming some sort of truth in that assumption, my big question is whether the lack of interest will carry over into the EOL years to come, making this a poor to average performer... or if it will translate into a massive supply/demand imbalance due to the corresponding rarity of the set on the secondary market.

A potential UCS TIE Fighter in the near future complicates predictions even more. It should raise demand for this set in its waning months (unless that time is now) and/or post EOL, . It would also demand shelf space, which conventional logic would dictate comes from the Ewoks. It might make more sense to try and sell this ship alongside a TIE... stretching its lifespan considerably. Or there might be no such idea at all. I have a hunch the Ewok Village is around a while, though, especially if 10188 finally bites the bullet soon.

Episode VII and a new X-wing design? How quickly will Lego have to jump on that situation and what does it mean for this set?

Honestly the way things are going now, they could have stopped producing it already and we might not know for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me if there are still a comparable number of R2's in B&M stores out there at this moment. With much more available capital I would prioritize this set pretty highly these days, knowing it could be a very high risk / high return venture.

I agree with your analysis. A couple issues with the set. It's a remake of one of the classic LEGO sets of all time and many investors and collectors already have a 7191, which some argue is the better set. Also, X-Wings have so many versions, the market is over saturated. The set is priced too high and the box is weak. It doesn't even look like a UCS set. I also think that this set will disappear without much fanfare, while many people are paying attention to Advent Calendars or Rocket Raccoons or some other low hanging fruit.

This set has been discounted numerous times and there is a reason for that, it might not be worth the current MSRP. Will it appreciate after EOL? Sure. But it might be a slow climb.

This is actually a pretty good perspective on this set. I do have one already and personally I think it's a great looking piece. If they keep it around with the rumoured TIE, it'd probably help with the X-wing sales. If they retire it before the TIE or shortly after the TIE comes out, I could see it spike initially due to collectors wanting to pair them up. Fingers crossed the UCS TIE is true!

When I saw this set build, I thought it was awesome. However, like noted already, the box art stinks. Most Star Wars sets with Yoda printed on the box seem to fly under the radar and (until now) perform poorly. You can correct me if I am wrong. I really do not understand that Lego choose to use this box art. The classic Star Wars white and blue is much better.

I only own one X-wing and always tell myself to buy more of them. But at the end of the day I always prefer to buy other sets. I think that is the disadvantage but could turn into an advantage after retirement.

Here in my area it is also hard to find it on a nice discount. Which is strange cause I always think of it as a poor seller. But I can be wrong.

Maybe I will end up with max. 3 in my stack. Just in case. Or I just might stick with one.  

• Like 1

I agree on the box art and the fact there have been many iterations of the famous X-Wing. Be it a previous UCS version or mid-range x-wing which is much cheaper and just does the job...

Here in the UK it is extremely difficult to get it under MSRP. Only on May the 4th it was discounted and then the only other place to get it cheaper was Argos 3 for 2 deals. Other than that...good luck finding it cheaper! So its not an easy set to obtain...

As with the design and building experience, it's great. The box may suck (which of course is a main selling point) but once build it looks quite awesome in attack formation especially! The cheaper version does a great job resembling the X-wing, but this is way more detailed and way more realistic. Don't knock the design of this thing as this is not a weak point, the weak points are as some people mentioned above. Lack of discounts, crappy box, previous UCS versions, cheaper alternatives etc etc..

I've got 7 (two on display) and 5 boxed. It is a must have set for any SW/Lego fan and if you don't have the first edition UCS, this is a fantastic alternative..