10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

my thoughts. 

used 7191 sale prices have pretty much either stayed the same or declined from the 2013 values (sure, there were some outlier sales). the refresh did hurt the 7191 set (at least for now). i can't say that about MISB 7191 sales since they are so few.

i look at it this way...if someone really wants an UCS X-Wing, they will think whether to spend $300+ for a used 7191 or $200 for a new 10240.

i do think if 7191 was the only UCS X-Wing still, the prices would be closer to $1,300 and $600. it's so iconic and was featured in the ep 7 trailer. people are excited about it again.

Sorry, I don't agree.  The 7191 increased in value for some time after the Red Five was released.  Did it slow, probably, but the set is a 1300 piece, $150 set that is owned by quite a few people, not a 3000 piece Death Star II or Star Destroyer that is much rarer.  The 7191 sold at Target to put things in perspective.  There is a ceiling for LEGO sets and the 7191 probably reached it.  Many of these older UCS sets have drastically slowed in growth, but the 7191 has outperformed all the UCS sets but the 10179, 10034 and 10026.  

I've owned the original X-Wing before I stupidly gave it to my step-brother's kid when I was in my dark ages.

My personal opinion on this set, is that's it's IMO an improvement from the original one.  It's a little more accurate.  Both are great sets.  But I agree with Ed, I believe 7191 has long reached it's ceiling.  I've been occasionally checking on prices over the last year and half since I've been out of my dark ages, and outside of some general fluke price fluctuations, most of the older UCS sets have remained a pretty steady price range give or take a couple hundred.

With regards to 10240, I don't know if it will ever reach the prices of 7191, just due to the volume.  This is one of those sets I feel IMO that will do decent after retirement, but I wouldn't expect anything super significant.

Sorry, I don't agree.  The 7191 increased in value for some time after the Red Five was released.  Did it slow, probably, but the set is a 1300 piece, $150 set that is owned by quite a few people, not a 3000 piece Death Star II or Star Destroyer that is much rarer.  The 7191 sold at Target to put things in perspective.  There is a ceiling for LEGO sets and the 7191 probably reached it.  Many of these older UCS sets have drastically slowed in growth, but the 7191 has outperformed all the UCS sets but the 10179, 10034 and 10026.  

my thoughts. 

used 7191 sale prices have pretty much either stayed the same or declined from the 2013 values (sure, there were some outlier sales). the refresh did hurt the 7191 set (at least for now). i can't say that about MISB 7191 sales since they are so few.

i look at it this way...if someone really wants an UCS X-Wing, they will think whether to spend $300+ for a used 7191 or $200 for a new 10240.

i do think if 7191 was the only UCS X-Wing still, the prices would be closer to $1,300 and $600. it's so iconic and was featured in the ep 7 trailer. people are excited about it again.

Ed, i agree with most of what you said, but what about the hypothetical Jaisonline proposed? If there was no refresh of the UCS Xwing easily available on store shelves, wouldn't the revival of the star wars franchise make the ONLY original UCS Xwing tick up quite a bit? 

While i agree there are 'realistic' ceilings for sets, the current trailer could not have been designed better for OT fans to get excited.

The first three vehicles we all think about, the first three toys Kenner put on the back of their figure cards, Tie, Xwing, Falcon. back on the big screen. 

I have no doubt the current explosion of mini fig scale recently retired (or at least out of stock) lego Tie, Xwing, and Falcons has allot to do with that trailer.

If there was no UCS Xwing on shelves, i believe the original UCS would have popped even higher.

Would appreciate if someone across the pond would call LEGO Shop at Home and ask them if it is going to come back in stock or not.

If they say it is not it looks like we may get in reverse what happened with the Super Star Destroyer and have a month or two more of it in the United States.

I called CS and the agent was 100 % sure that it will return. They just don't have a new date of availability and an appropriate status. "It's definitely not the same 'Sold out' as with R2-D2."  

He said currently software has it in product range until December 2015 but that doesn't necessarily mean they will produce it until then. 

As always take it with a grain of salt or two.

• Like 1

I called CS and the agent was 100 % sure that it will return. They just don't have a new date of availability and an appropriate status. "It's definitely not the same 'Sold out' as with R2-D2."  

He said currently software has it in product range until December 2015 but that doesn't necessarily mean they will produce it until then. 

It's interesting to note that many CS reps seems to say something similar about seeing a product life cycle window. They use varying terms, but they do seem to see SOMETHING.

The window they see is probably a guide for them, but is subject to change (as seen by examples where things just sell out quicker or slower than 'expected).

Therefore its probably not USELESS info when we hear from a CS rep, but also certainly not gospel.

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 1

teschder thanks a lot!

It's interesting to note that many CS reps seems to say something similar about seeing a product life cycle window. They use varying terms, but they do seem to see SOMETHING.

The window they see is probably a guide for them, but is subject to change (as seen by examples where things just sell out quicker or slower than 'expected).

Therefore its probably not USELESS info when we hear from a CS rep, but also certainly not gospel.

In reference to the software having it in product range and windows I agree it is useful when measured with other things.  it is not reliable I agree as I think it can change greatly but when I spoke to Lego LEGO Shop at Home United States recently on a set they said let me check the product planned manufacturing date and then they gave a date.

Accurate or not there is a specific field in the LEGO Shop at Home database that shows projected planned manufacturing date.

I agree many circumstances including a VP can come along and change that date to shorten extend or stock can run out sooner and they do not do another run but there is a field in the system and that is what they refer to.

Sounds to me like this set will be around until at least this summer.

teschder thanks a lot!

In reference to the software having it in product range and windows I agree it is useful when measured with other things.  it is not reliable I agree as I think it can change greatly but when I spoke to Lego LEGO Shop at Home United States recently on a set they said let me check the product planned manufacturing date and then they gave a date.

Accurate or not there is a specific field in the LEGO Shop at Home database that shows projected planned manufacturing date.

I agree many circumstances including a VP can come along and change that date to shorten extend or stock can run out sooner and they do not do another run but there is a field in the system and that is what they refer to.

I would really like to buy some more of this and Ewok Village May the 4th. Keep getting the horde worked up and it may not last until next week though.

It's really interesting to observe 10240's status at LEGO Shop at Home Europe: It currently switches nearly every minute from "Sold out" to "OoS, ship date Feb 5" and back again (no browser issue on my side, my monitoring app alerts me reliably). I've never seen such behaviour before.

teschder thanks a lot!

Pure speculation but a summer production run would allow us to buy 10240 until Christmas based on current buying patterns.  Of course, the horde may not allow that to happen and it could be unavailable by the fall.

Bets are now on that this one flies its last flight on or before May 4th. No reason to have it hanging around getting in the way of the new versions coming in the Autumn, 

Limited to 2 in the USA, Oos at all Lego shops and discounted for Black Friday. Evidence is slowly building up.

Bets are now on that this one flies its last flight on or before May 4th. No reason to have it hanging around getting in the way of the new versions coming in the Autumn,

Limited to 2 in the USA, Oos at all Lego shops and discounted for Black Friday. Evidence is slowly building up.

You started it in this thread not me. lol

What are everyone's thoughts on the potential for this one? Personally, I find the piece count low for a high priced UCS model, but that's just me and I don't have a ton of interest in ship models. I would imagine most collectors don't care and this one will probably do very well as its an iconic original trilogy ship, agree/disagree?

I have been waiting to use the Feb Han coupons to get a few of these. This set should jump to 300 pretty quickly after it dries up. 400-500 in 18 months. Just my opinion of course. 

Got a few last year when FAO was giving away Palps arrest with purchase. The Han poly may end up being worth more than palps...

Edited by marcandre
  • Like 1