10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

The value of the MF is going to go through the roof after retirement, whenever that may be, precisely because it will be in the next few SW episodes, and it is undisputably the most recognizable ship in the Star Wars saga. Now if you have the capital to buy one to build, and one or more to invest, I'd go for it. The MF looks great when built, and it looks really awesome with the flaps that fold outwards to display the interior. ;)

The 10240 Red X-Wing came out this year, and it probably won't retire for a while, so I think you have time to buy at least another one for investing. It's hard to tell at this point whether it will be a successful investment based on past records, since this is the first remade UCS model, but my gut is telling me it will bring in a pretty penny once it retires.

• Like 1

The value of the MF is going to go through the roof after retirement, whenever that may be, precisely because it will be in the next few SW episodes, and it is undisputably the most recognizable ship in the Star Wars saga. Now if you have the capital to buy one to build, and one or more to invest, I'd go for it. The MF looks great when built, and it looks really awesome with the flaps that fold outwards to display the interior. ;)

The 10240 Red X-Wing came out this year, and it probably won't retire for a while, so I think you have time to buy at least another one for investing. It's hard to tell at this point whether it will be a successful investment based on past records, since this is the first remade UCS model, but my gut is telling me it will bring in a pretty penny once it retires.

I guess that pretty much answers my question.  I will go ahead and purchase another of each, so I can build the ones I have.  Star Wars seem to have done well with investments, with the little research I have done.  I guess I will be able to place another order with LEGO and get the next Christmas set now!  They will look great built and displayed in my LEGO Room.

I guess that pretty much answers my question.  I will go ahead and purchase another of each, so I can build the ones I have.  Star Wars seem to have done well with investments, with the little research I have done.  I guess I will be able to place another order with LEGO and get the next Christmas set now!  They will look great built and displayed in my LEGO Room.

If you are going to buy another one of each set, I would recommend building the set with the worse box condition. You can save the set in better condition, so that you can make more money.

• Like 1

If you are going to buy another one of each set, I would recommend building the set with the worse box condition. You can save the set in better condition, so that you can make more money.

Hm. IMO the box condition doesn't really matter unless you are going to have it graded, which isn't that likely. Box condition doesn't really matter to buyers, unless you sell to another investor, or some very picky buyer, so it shouldn't impact value. Of course, this is assuming both boxes have minor shelfwear. If one is stabbed through, and is warped because of humidity, then I'd obviously build that one. 

• 4 months later...

Depends on how long it will be around plus supply vs demandUCS sets usually were produced 2-3 years. SSD 10221 has been around since 2011, IS 10212 was around for 2 1/2 years, and BW 10227 was only around for 12 months. MF 10179 was available for 4 years and was a slow seller at times (usually when not discounted more than 10%) but demand has made it skyrocket. Obi-Wan's 10215 was available for 2 1/2 years and nobody really wants it, (prob the prequel curse that developed after 2008) .

Since 10240 is a refresh so it won't attain the levels of the original maxed out since people will always have another option despite that being an older one.

• 7 months later...

What do you guys think of this set's EOL?

Currently argos in the UK has 20% off on all SW sets, but this one has disappeared from most of the shops. The only place to get it from is Lego shop and thats MSRP.

One other thing, I have the funny feeling this one will retire soon. My intuition tells me the Slave I coming out in January will be the direct replacement of this X-Wing UCS set... but I could be totally wrong!

Interesting to hear other's people observations.... 

What do you guys think of this set's EOL?

Hard to tell when it will be sold out.

I would say October 2015 during double VIP points... if it survives to May 4th (2015).

It doesn't seem to be a so great seller, maybe because of the 9493 X-wing (4 times cheaper on amazon, and is better on display with the 9492 Tie-fighter and the 7965 MF).

This UCS is quite hard to find online, but in B&M stores, it is (very) widely available.

Hard to tell when it will be sold out.

I would say October 2015 during double VIP points... if it survives to May 4th (2015).

It doesn't seem to be a so great seller, maybe because of the 9493 X-wing (4 times cheaper on amazon, and is better on display with the 9492 Tie-fighter and the 7965 MF).

This UCS is quite hard to find online, but in B&M stores, it is (very) widely available.

I am sorry my friend but i have to disagree on this one. I have at work on display an x-wing and SSD and the x wing looks amazing with the wings opened in attack position. They both look amazing.

Yes, there is scarcity surrounding this set....the dark side clouds everything. However the question is how much lego has produced of these, it is not as much as we might think...

As regards to the small x-wing. Of course its more popular, its cheaper and there are decent discounts for it. But looks alone, not a chance beating the ucs one!

I think this set is about the hardest for me to get my hands on for a reasonable price. I only have 1 and it's not because lack of searching. It's at 219 or 229. Lowest I saw it available to buy was 175.

I do like the set alot and agree with Biniou it still has a year orso left.

Hope to get some more of it, or at least a second one because my fingers are itching to build this one. X-wing is one of the more recognisable (and most beautiful imo) SW ships. I'd prefer to put this on display anytime above a sandcrawler, SSD or an Ewok village.

I think this set is about the hardest for me to get my hands on for a reasonable price. I only have 1 and it's not because lack of searching. It's at 219 or 229. Lowest I saw it available to buy was 175.

Hope to get some more of it, or at least a second one because my fingers are itching to build this one. X-wing is one of the more recognisable (and most beautiful imo) SW ships. I'd prefer to put this on display anytime above a sandcrawler, SSD or an Ewok village.

SINNER!!! For thou shalt not display X-Wing second edition instead of Ewok village first edition!!!

I could have bought some for more discount but at that time I decided otherwise since I figured they will be around a little longer... now I don't have the money anymore ;-) But honestly I don't think it's the best investment either so I guess I can life with not having bought any until now... Will probably wait for may the forth be with you and get a couple (or not...) depending on my "pocket money"...

• Like 1

I am sorry my friend but i have to disagree on this one. I have at work on display an x-wing and SSD and the x wing looks amazing with the wings opened in attack position. They both look amazing.

(...)

As regards to the small x-wing. Of course its more popular, its cheaper and there are decent discounts for it. But looks alone, not a chance beating the ucs one!

Don't be sorry, I'm sure the UCS is a-ma-zing. :) But when you look at the front box (meaning you "forget" the size), the 9493 and the UCS look similar to me. I think lego did quite a good job with the design of the 9493.

Edited by biniou

You're quite right actually. Here in the UK I managed to get 1-2 two more with the Argos sale 3 for the price of 2, the other opportunity is May the 4th be with you and that's it! Apart from that its all MSRP or even higher with re-sellers on ebay etc. Even so, Argos is all sold out on the X-Wing...

Don't be sorry, I'm sure the UCS is a-ma-zing. :) But when you look at the front box, the 9493 and the UCS look similar to me. I think lego did quite a good job with the design of the 9493.

Very true from that perspective. The 9493 X-Wing is awesome, but the UCS is proper bad ass! Its like comparing the normal MF with the UCS MF. The normal one is super...but the UCS is beyond magnifique!

I think Target had these for BOGO 50% within the last 10-12 months but that was a mistake including it in the sale.  Orthanc was also included but didn't last very long.  I only have one of these right now but plan on buying a few more next year.  I bet this stays around to overlap the rumored UCS TIE Fighter because they will make a good pair for LEGO to market together.

As I was contemplating the relative sales volume (sales rankings in toys & games on Amazon) of the Tower of Orthanc earlier today, I forgot to include the 10240 Red Five set as a reference.  So, here is a list with both and a few other exclusives.

824:       10220 VW T1 Van

2,595:    10243 Parisian Restaurant

6,494:    10242 Mini Cooper

6,523:    10225 R2D2

7,385:    10937 Arkham Asylum

9,103:    10236 Ewok Village

9,104:    10237 Tower of Orthanc

9,241:    10244 Fairground Mixer

18,502:  10240 Red Five X-Wing

35,722:  10234 Sydney Opera House

Conclusion?  Not much, other than, hey, at least it's selling more quickly than the Opera House!  It's not lighting the world on fire, though.  I don't see it retiring before the end of next year, but could slow sales lead to a B-wing situation?  Maybe.

Edited by xeeeej

As I was contemplating the relative sales volume of the Tower of Orthanc earlier today, I forgot to include the 10240 Red Five set as a reference.  So, here is a list with both and a few other exclusives.

824:       10220 VW T1 Van

2,595:    10243 Parisian Restaurant

6,494:    10242 Mini Cooper

6,523:    10225 R2D2

7,385:    10937 Arkham Asylum

9,103:    10236 Ewok Village

9,104:    10237 Tower of Orthanc

9,241:    10244 Fairground Mixer

18,502:  10240 Red Five X-Wing

35,722:  10234 Sydney Opera House

Conclusion?  Not much, other than, hey, at least it's selling more quickly than the Opera House!  It's not lighting the world on fire, though.  I don't see it retiring before the end of next year, but could slow sales lead to a B-wing situation?  Maybe.

Sorry I don't get it... please explain the numbers and everything ;)

Sorry I don't get it... please explain the numbers and everything ;)

Sorry, those are sales rankings in toys & games on Amazon.  There is some mystery as to how they're calculated, but roughly speaking, Amazon captures how many of each item is sold in a time frame and updates the relative rankings each hour.

• 3 weeks later...