Brickfolio and Price Guide FAQs (Site Update)

Jeff is working on it along with many other things.  I think some folks need to remember, our owners & mods have lives outside of brickpicker. we have spouses, kids , regular jobs,  houses, etc...    this is also a free web site, so jeff and ed don't have hired workers "standing ready to go" to work on items when they can't.

That's why folks should use the brickfolio export feature often.  The good news is that no data is lost.  It's all there. Just give Jeff as much time as he needs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 4 years later...

Just wondering if May stats are on their way, or if the updates have moved to a bi-monthly system now? I've only been around a couple of months, during the forum update no less, so I'm not sure what the original 'schedule' was (if there was one?). Just noticed it's mid June already, haven't seen numbers showing up for May yet. Just wondering. Cheers. 

Just wondering if May stats are on their way, or if the updates have moved to a bi-monthly system now? I've only been around a couple of months, during the forum update no less, so I'm not sure what the original 'schedule' was (if there was one?). Just noticed it's mid June already, haven't seen numbers showing up for May yet. Just wondering. Cheers. 

The Brickpicker values are on a somewhat monthly based system. Sometimes it has been a bi-monthly system because of major updates, like Brick Classifieds or the latest forum update. The numbers for the month usually come in three-four weeks after the month has ended. For example, the May information would come in around the third or fourth week of June because of the data that comes through.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an update on the Price Guide data currently taking place?  I see some sets still only have up through April, but others now show both May and June(?).  

Thanks for the effort week after week improving the site and providing such a valuable resource.

Is there an update on the Price Guide data currently taking place?  I see some sets still only have up through April, but others now show both May and June(?).  

Thanks for the effort week after week improving the site and providing such a valuable resource.

Yes.  The prices will be updated with information up to June 23/24 I believe.  When Jeff gets the rest of June, he will run it again.  

Edited by Ed Mack
  • Like 1

honestly, don't even tell me, don't want to know, I am at work, and will not have time to look through it to much later tonight, i have a bunch of queries to run yet.  I will try to remove the numbers.  I need to change the process.  I thought it would be somewhat helpful for people to see, but maybe not.

• Like 3

honestly, don't even tell me, don't want to know, I am at work, and will not have time to look through it to much later tonight, i have a bunch of queries to run yet.  I will try to remove the numbers.  I need to change the process.  I thought it would be somewhat helpful for people to see, but maybe not.

Jeff, you should take a page from "Scotty".  Multiple all of your estimated times by 4 so people think of you as a miracle worker.

Example - "I'll have the latest update done in 8 days" and have it done in 2

Everyone else can chill out :)

• Like 5

Stupid question for those doing this much longer than I have.

I started investing and tracking my set values about this time last year, so this is the end of my first year at this experiment. It's been my gut feeling that many Ebay completed sales prices for LEGO items across the board have been trending down the past couple months, and limited data from my Brickfolio update today seems to support that as well. I've heard others remark on the forum that June is historically a poor sales month.

My question is this: Are these downward fluctuations in set values fairly typical and cyclical, and historically consistent with a "summer slump", or do they represent a new phenomenon that might be attributable to factors like secondary market fatigue, increased reseller competition, or a shift away from Ebay to alternative market places.

I don't think the bubble is crashing or the sky is falling, I'm just curious about others' current observations as well. As a newbie, I try to limit my exposure by following these rules:

1) I only buy sets with my disposable income 

2) I buy sets I wouldn't mind keeping forever

3) I don't buy more than 2 (occasionally 3 on something like a modular) copies of any set.

I think this is a tough question to answer.  Like the stock market, everyone has a different portfolio?  Are there sets that you see are really dragging you down?

Only a few sets caught my attention specifically: my used pirate ships 6285 Black Seas Barracuda, 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty, and new 70413 Brick Bounty. My seasonal sets seemed to have dipped down a bit, but I can see how they certainly have some natural increase in sales price during certain periods on the year. I was surprised to see the Tumbler drop down well below retail.

A lot of this is probably me just learning the natural price growth curve on EOL sets. I've purchased all my sets in the past 12-14 months, so most of my best returns might not happen for another 12 months or longer. It's fun to watch prices on TH, HH, FB, AA, and MF take off initially, but as the new guy tough to predict how high the growth might go.

It´s been a bad last couple of months and that is likely to continue until September as people have other things on their minds in holiday periods. If things don´t pickp after that there is going to be trouble ahead. A lot of us are counting on the SW movie and some big retirements to move things on but we just have to wait and see.

I disagree on the word bad. This group is either a spoiled group of investors or has completely erroneous expectations. My portfolio continues to tick higher by about 5500-6000 since April. Not the normal average of 2.3% per month but higher nonetheless. The total return this year on average is still over 18% for me. I'm liking that all day long. That includes one down month of .5% I think. Not bad without the stupid volatility of the other markets.

• Like 3

Only a few sets caught my attention specifically: my used pirate ships 6285 Black Seas Barracuda, 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty, and new 70413 Brick Bounty. My seasonal sets seemed to have dipped down a bit, but I can see how they certainly have some natural increase in sales price during certain periods on the year. I was surprised to see the Tumbler drop down well below retail.

A lot of this is probably me just learning the natural price growth curve on EOL sets. I've purchased all my sets in the past 12-14 months, so most of my best returns might not happen for another 12 months or longer. It's fun to watch prices on TH, HH, FB, AA, and MF take off initially, but as the new guy tough to predict how high the growth might go.

I those cases I think a decline is expected.  Seasonal obviously drops off out of season.  The pirate ships likely got a bump from the new releases and are now leveling back out.  And the tumbler is becoming more available than it was earlier in the year.  Patience on all those sets will pat off in the long run. Though for some you may need to wait till after EOL at this point.

I know you are still working on things, but some of the Chima sets have values much higher than they should.

As an IT guy myself, it's always best to report issues with very specific actionable examples:

EX: Chima Set # 99999 is showing a value of $100 when it typically is around $50. Perhaps its due to being commonly bundled with set 888888

It makes the problem much easier for him to track down.

Forgive the unasked for advice, but i know Jeff has a thousand plates spinning and this is likely what he'd ask for anyway. It also gives your defect a better turnaround time. 

• Like 1

As an IT guy myself, it's always best to report issues with very specific actionable examples:

EX: Chima Set # 99999 is showing a value of $100 when it typically is around $50. Perhaps its due to being commonly bundled with set 888888

It makes the problem much easier for him to track down.

Forgive the unasked for advice, but i know Jeff has a thousand plates spinning and this is likely what he'd ask for anyway. It also gives your defect a better turnaround time. 

Too much information is also not helpful. If Jeff wants specific he will ask.