Brickfolio and Price Guide FAQs (Site Update)

Jeff is working on it along with many other things.  I think some folks need to remember, our owners & mods have lives outside of brickpicker. we have spouses, kids , regular jobs,  houses, etc...    this is also a free web site, so jeff and ed don't have hired workers "standing ready to go" to work on items when they can't.

That's why folks should use the brickfolio export feature often.  The good news is that no data is lost.  It's all there. Just give Jeff as much time as he needs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 4 years later...

I think the data used to be reasonably accurate however since the update it appears to be way off and like you said I also have TB and that's dropping all the time. I tend to just ignore the brick folio value these days and use buy in price, rrp and my own expected sale value to get an idea.....but it's not an exact science. * TB is down to £137 today.

Edited by doon73
Update

On 18-11-2015 00:27:03, valenciaeric said:

The data just doesn´t seem to be reliable for any other currency/market than USD/USA - let´s see what future site updates bring.  Big exchange rate fluctuations only make matters worse so your best bet is to double check recent items sold in your target currency on Bricklink or on your own national Ebay page.

Yeah... but the problem is maybe the owners of this site underestimate their own power and influence on the market. I know many people who check the value of a set on brickpicker before purchasing something. And with the anomalies currently in the price guide you as a seller become overpriced. Eventhough it is not the case if you check the selling prices on ebay.

I know Jeff is very busy and I trust everything will be solved. 

On 18-11-2015 00:27:03, valenciaeric said: The data just doesn´t seem to be reliable for any other currency/market than USD/USA - let´s see what future site updates bring.  Big exchange rate fluctuations only make matters worse so your best bet is to double check recent items sold in your target currency on Bricklink or on your own national Ebay page.

Yeah... but the problem is maybe the owners of this site underestimate their own power and influence on the market. I know many people who check the value of a set on brickpicker before purchasing something. And with the anomalies currently in the price guide you as a seller become overpriced. Eventhough it is not the case if you check the selling prices on ebay.

I know Jeff is very busy and I trust everything will be solved. 

We understand our influence. But there are much bigger players in all of this so you have to understand that it is not always about Jeff, it is about waiting for other people and companies to make it all work.

I don’t mean this to sound like another “your prices are wrong rant” but there have been significant changes to some sets since the major update Jeff was doing back in Oct/Nov was done [assuming of course it is finished].

I run a spreadsheet as well as a Brickfolio so I can keep a record of pricing going back since I purchased any one set. Because of the update I held off updating my spreadsheet since August but I took the plunge last week.

I noticed significant differences on some sets but a pattern soon began to emerge.
It’s the parter outers again. So on any set that seems to be regularly parted out the BP values are now significantly lower than before.
For example 21108 Ecto-1

Jun-14

£43.58

Jul-14

£41.87

Aug-14

£42.35

Sep-14

£44.66

Oct-14

£48.23

Nov-14

£48.16

Dec-14

£49.34

Jan-15

£47.09

Feb-15

£45.01

Mar-15

£40.50

Apr-15

£36.45

May-15

£37.75

Jun-15

£39.29

Jul-15

£38.72

Oct-15

£30.09

I regularly bid on this set on Ebay UK. The vast majority of auctions for this set are finishing over £40 for the complete set. But there are listings for £20-30 sold as NEW but for the car or the figures only.

Up until June, these part sets seemed to be filtered out, since the revamp they appear not to be.

Has the method of filtering changed since the upgrade?
I have used the Ecto as an example but I noticed this on many sets, both current and retired.

Again I don't want this to read as a “your prices are wrong” post as that does not reflect what you are doing behind the scenes.

2 hours ago, CNH1974 said:

I don’t mean this to sound like another “your prices are wrong rant” but there have been significant changes to some sets since the major update Jeff was doing back in Oct/Nov was done [assuming of course it is finished].

I run a spreadsheet as well as a Brickfolio so I can keep a record of pricing going back since I purchased any one set. Because of the update I held off updating my spreadsheet since August but I took the plunge last week.

I noticed significant differences on some sets but a pattern soon began to emerge.
It’s the parter outers again. So on any set that seems to be regularly parted out the BP values are now significantly lower than before.
For example 21108 Ecto-1

I regularly bid on this set on Ebay UK. The vast majority of auctions for this set are finishing over £40 for the complete set. But there are listings for £20-30 sold as NEW but for the car or the figures only.

Up until June, these part sets seemed to be filtered out, since the revamp they appear not to be.

Has the method of filtering changed since the upgrade?
I have used the Ecto as an example but I noticed this on many sets, both current and retired.

Again I don't want this to read as a “your prices are wrong” post as that does not reflect what you are doing behind the scenes.

I know the feeling. My excel is starting to look like a cardiogram and the patient is almost dead.

cardio.JPG.a83a02400740e1f1463896c974229

38 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

Remember it is a Price guide - with the emphasis on Guide :)

I get it.  Jeff gets it.  We realize the non-US data has been skewed the past several months and there are many reasons for it, most of which are not our fault.  Jeff is working on a solution the past few weeks but it takes time to implement, but it will be fixed.  The set guide page is also a work in progress and items like the Bricklink prices will come back as well, but when multiple parties are involved, we are dependent on them to supply us with needed information to complete the process.  Now that we are in the Holiday season, it only gets harder to make things happen quickly.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

I get it.  Jeff gets it.  We realize the non-US data has been skewed the past several months and there are many reasons for it, most of which are not our fault.  Jeff is working on a solution the past few weeks but it takes time to implement, but it will be fixed.  The set guide page is also a work in progress and items like the Bricklink prices will come back as well, but when multiple parties are involved, we are dependent on them to supply us with needed information to complete the process.  Now that we are in the Holiday season, it only gets harder to make things happen quickly.  

Thanks Ed. I wasn't sure whether things were still in progress or had been finished. :)

One thing that helped my Brickfolio's value was 30211 shooting up in value from £6 to over £62. I think this poly bag is suffering the reverse effect of parter outers. People sell them by the 100. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, New user here just signed up last Sept Oct. one quick question. I have set up a brickfolio with just a few sets in Lets say Oct. Its now end of Dec and i have yet to see ANY change on my brickfolio. The price stays at plus 100% and only shows Oct-Nov. Am i missing something. Also Is it possible to see records and charts older then 1 year? Thanks Again

Edited by Substored

3 hours ago, Substored said:

Hey guys, New user here just signed up last Sept Oct. one quick question. I have set up a brickfolio with just a few sets in Lets say Oct. Its now end of Dec and i have yet to see ANY change on my brickfolio. The price stays at plus 100% and only shows Oct-Nov. Am i missing something. Also Is it possible to see records and charts older then 1 year? Thanks 

In your brickfolio you will only be able to track your sets from the time you enter them. If you want to back track the performance of a set just look it up in the price guide.

8 hours ago, Substored said:

Hey guys, New user here just signed up last Sept Oct. one quick question. I have set up a brickfolio with just a few sets in Lets say Oct. Its now end of Dec and i have yet to see ANY change on my brickfolio. The price stays at plus 100% and only shows Oct-Nov. Am i missing something. Also Is it possible to see records and charts older then 1 year? Thanks Again

To add to Stephen's reply, the brickfolio values don't update automatically. Jeff receives large updates of sold data and he has to process them (which can take varying amounts of time depending on how much has sold, how many outliers there are to reconcile)... They haven't been coming monthly as the used to but I believe it's the supplier of the data has become a little less reliable. Don't worry, they'll come... But as Stephen said, there is no substitute to just looking at the graph of a set's past performance. The graphs only go back 1 year.

I am hoping to have a huge update by the end of the week.  It's been nuts for the past 30+ days trying to get answers, updates and fixes for the data I am seeing.  Maybe after it goes live I will explain all the differences.  I am "supposed" to get an update later today with a chance to get more data to work with and see if its right.  I am hoping it is, then I can work on it over the next few days and get the everything back in action again.  

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

I am hoping to have a huge update by the end of the week.  It's been nuts for the past 30+ days trying to get answers, updates and fixes for the data I am seeing.  Maybe after it goes live I will explain all the differences.  I am "supposed" to get an update later today with a chance to get more data to work with and see if its right.  I am hoping it is, then I can work on it over the next few days and get the everything back in action again.  

h6ab5288d.jpeg

Seriously, much appreciation for all you do. :)

13 hours ago, gregpj said:

To add to Stephen's reply, the brickfolio values don't update automatically. Jeff receives large updates of sold data and he has to process them (which can take varying amounts of time depending on how much has sold, how many outliers there are to reconcile)... They haven't been coming monthly as the used to but I believe it's the supplier of the data has become a little less reliable. Don't worry, they'll come... But as Stephen said, there is no substitute to just looking at the graph of a set's past performance. The graphs only go back 1 year.

Awesome thanks for the info guys..

Wow Ciglione,  it sounds like you have invested a bit.

On my side, I can say the sugar rush of CAGR is back. Some sets are now correctly valued, but seem to represent asking prices rather than sold ones. Some are a bit overpriced. Basically,  my folio value has increased by around 30%, when before I'd say it was 10~15% undervalued.  This is following the Aussie market however.

I have confidence things will be back to normal eventually.  A change is good though,  it means things are getting resolved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ciglione said:

I just checked my brickfolio and I almost fell from my chair.

It is showing a total value of 2.8 Million Euro. There is something fishy about the 30312 Demolition Driller. 

This set is fixed

1 hour ago, ED-209 said:

Wow Ciglione,  it sounds like you have invested a bit.

On my side, I can say the sugar rush of CAGR is back. Some sets are now correctly valued, but seem to represent asking prices rather than sold ones. Some are a bit overpriced. Basically,  my folio value has increased by around 30%, when before I'd say it was 10~15% undervalued.  This is following the Aussie market however.

I have confidence things will be back to normal eventually.  A change is good though,  it means things are getting resolved.

You can PM me or list a few sets here that you are questionable on and i will go through the listings to see if anything is there that shouldn't

One thing to note is that one positive thing from this update is that I am not longer getting converted pricing, everything is native currency.  I will double check the Australian output to make sure nothing is throwing it off.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DenJ91 said:

only two sets aside from the demolition driller I noticed off was:

rancor pit seems much too high

and the vader/luke buildable co pack has a value of zero.  

thanks as always. 

Rancor might be picking up combo sales with Jabba palace.  I'm sure that's a common problem with that type of set.  I'll let Jeff confirm that, though.

I sold (dumped) a couple Vader/Luke combos right before Christmas but I certainly didn't give them away for $0 :wink: 

• Like 1