Brickfolio and Price Guide FAQs (Site Update)

Jeff is working on it along with many other things.  I think some folks need to remember, our owners & mods have lives outside of brickpicker. we have spouses, kids , regular jobs,  houses, etc...    this is also a free web site, so jeff and ed don't have hired workers "standing ready to go" to work on items when they can't.

That's why folks should use the brickfolio export feature often.  The good news is that no data is lost.  It's all there. Just give Jeff as much time as he needs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 4 years later...
11 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Sorry, I'm getting sick with something and feeling a little grumbly today. This is not a personal attack on Jeff, but it's definitely directed at him for answers. We were told it would be updated "This Weekend" a week ago. So what gives?  

Life happens.

• Like 2

Yeah, kind of the same feeling here, though I'm not really grumpy. I do miss the updates and feel the same way about brickfolio updating "market-values" being the main "thing" on the site. But I do understand that Jeff and Ed spend more time getting actual revenue-things going, like Brick Classifieds. That hasn't really gotten of the ground like they hoped it would, but choosing to go free until it gains enough traction is a very good choice. I'm very thankful that they spend that much effort and time into a wonderful 100% free site, though it could use some extra volunteers to keep the price-updates going. Maybe that would be a good idea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quacs said:

Life happens.

Sure it does, so at a certain point it only makes sense to acquire helping hands. For whatever reason that hasn't happened yet.

As investing in Lego grows, more listings on ebay will also grow, in turn the updates workload grows. I think Jeff and Ed treat this like their baby; fair enough of course... but like any parent who works full time at a job, you often get some helping hands, so why not "employ" (volunteer work) some babysitters from this fine crew of Mods and dedicated users! It seems like a no-brainer to me.  

Sure it does, so at a certain point it only makes sense to acquire helping hands. For whatever reason that hasn't happened yet.

As investing in Lego grows, more listings on ebay will also grow, in turn the updates workload grows. I think Jeff and Ed treat this like their baby; fair enough of course... but like any parent who works full time at a job, you often get some helping hands, so why not "employ" (volunteer work) some babysitters from this fine crew of Mods and dedicated users! It seems like a no-brainer to me.  

Jeff does get help (he just doesn't advertise what he and Ed personally pay out of pocket for), but the eBay data is entirely different. Jeff and Ed pay real dollars for it and there is a real risk to giving that data to a third party. They could steal it or screw it all up... That's a pretty big risk.

And I don't really get why you care what it is month to month? Investing is not a short term plan... Long term results will eventually come... And i mean this sincerely but if the only way you are judging your investments is via brickfolio values you're doing it wrong. It's a single factor... I used to watch mine closely, now I'm lucky to look at them every 4 months. I know what's going on by reading the forums, watching eBay, etc.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Meanwhile, the Brickfolio update.....Can you imagine investing in the stock market using values that were 6-8 weeks old? Lol. 

The forum is great and all, but the real tool on this site is the Brickfolio. I had good impressions when I first signed up nearly a year ago, updates were prompt and timely month to month, right up until the site updates started happening at which point updates got derailed. Kind of a bummer really. I eagerly sign on every day and check to see if the Price Guide has been updated. Disappointment over and over. Maybe it's just me or maybe I'm the only one willing to speak up, but why such an excessive delay? It makes sense you might be tied up around Christmas time, but we're well clear of holiday season now. Why can't it happen faster? [Tons and tons of data to manually sift through, I know, you said already, which leads to...] Why aren't you willing to add some helpers to your 1 man crew to help the ever growing community get this valuable data quicker? Without the timely Brickfolio updates (and the data referenced therein), this is just another forum.  

Sorry, I'm getting sick with something and feeling a little grumbly today. This is not a personal attack on Jeff, but it's definitely directed at him for answers. We were told it would be updated "This Weekend" a week ago. So what gives?  

Jeff is recovering from Pneumonia.  He has been working 12-14 hours a day at his real job for the past three weeks because they had to fire one of his co-workers for screwing up his company's entire database.  Just sayin'.  As for letting other people mess with his code.  He does on many occasions, but the data and price guide is tricky stuff and takes a long time and is not so simple.  If you let people mess with your code, they have the ability to screw it up as well.  

I agree that it would be great if the prices were updated on a regular basis and for the most part it is.  Your plan sounds great, but it really doesn't work in the real world.  I'm sure Jeff will address the update this weekend.

• Like 2

Yall need to chill the eff out!  I have a truth bomb to drop on all of you...........you don't need the brickfolio to be updated on the hour to know what your sets are worth. There is a filter on ebay called "sold" where you can see how much a set has sold for recently. So stop being so damn lazy and start crunching numbers. You can preface your comments all you want with " this site is so awesome but....." but in the end you just sound like some ungrateful f%$#s! Stop asking about the update. Grow up and do some work for yourself. For everyone else thank you for your patience. Sincerely, 

The super serious grumpy crusty salty MOD

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Jeff does get help (he just doesn't advertise what he and Ed personally pay out of pocket for), but the eBay data is entirely different. Jeff and Ed pay real dollars for it and there is a real risk to giving that data to a third party. They could steal it or screw it all up... That's a pretty big risk.

And I don't really get why you care what it is month to month? Investing is not a short term plan... Long term results will eventually come... And i mean this sincerely but if the only way you are judging your investments is via brickfolio values you're doing it wrong. It's a single factor... I used to watch mine closely, now I'm lucky to look at them every 4 months. I know what's going on by reading the forums, watching eBay, etc.

I'm tracking used sets that have already hit their plateaus. Sure, it'd be cool to see where the Tumbler and Tower of Orthanc is sitting at, but that's not my interest right now. I've got about 100 used sets that are 10-20 years old. They've plateaued, but even so, there are minor fluctuations month to month on sets that have stabilized. Prioritizing based on highest current market values would be a huge help in prioritizing the order of which sets to build, photograph, wash and list. I've been picking away at it one by one, but it's random guesswork. An up to date Brickfolio tells you at a glance. It's a monumental time saver. 

8 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Jeff is recovering from Pneumonia.

That really sucks. I had pneumonia in 12th grade, it took me out for about 4 months. I can relate, it's rough. Puts some perspective on it for me anyway, thank you. 

23 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

I'm tracking used sets that have already hit their plateaus. Sure, it'd be cool to see where the Tumbler and Tower of Orthanc is sitting at, but that's not my interest right now. I've got about 100 used sets that are 10-20 years old. They've plateaued, but even so, there are minor fluctuations month to month on sets that have stabilized. Prioritizing based on highest current market values would be a huge help in prioritizing the order of which sets to build, photograph, wash and list. I've been picking away at it one by one, but it's random guesswork. An up to date Brickfolio tells you at a glance. It's a monumental time saver. 

That really sucks. I had pneumonia in 12th grade, it took me out for about 4 months. I can relate, it's rough. Puts some perspective on it for me anyway, thank you. 

Another option for pricing data that might suit your needs is Brick Link. It doesn't necessarily give you an idea of what sets are currently selling for on the Bay, but you can quickly gauge the number of new and used sets for sale, the average current asking price, the past 6 month's average sale prices, etc. that might give you a good idea of which of your 100 sets are on a hot streak to set your priorities.

Export your brickfolio to an excel spreadsheet, add a column for current avg used asking price, and a second column for the avg sold price for the past 6 months. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours. 

In fact, PM half the set numbers my way and I'll do it tonight if you'd like.

Edited by Deadfraggle
For the record, I much prefer my Brickfolio and Brickpicker.com
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:
32 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Jeff is recovering from Pneumonia.  He has been working 12-14 hours a day at his real job for the past three weeks because they had to fire one of his co-workers for screwing up his company's entire database.  Just sayin'.  As for letting other people mess with his code.  He does on many occasions, but the data and price guide is tricky stuff and takes a long time and is not so simple.  If you let people mess with your code, they have the ability to screw it up as well.  

I agree that it would be great if the prices were updated on a regular basis and for the most part it is.  Your plan sounds great, but it really doesn't work in the real world.  I'm sure Jeff will address the update this weekend.

Neither you, nor @Jeff Mack, owe any of us an apology @Ed Mack. Until this becomes a subscription based website, we don't get the right to complain about the manner in which the plethora of valuable services and information are delivered. Keep up the good work.

• Like 6

Obviously, we want to drive traffic here. However, it would be foolish to use this site as your only place for getting pricing data.

Brickpicker is great because you've entered you data in one place and you don't have to hunt to find pricing. But if Brickpicker is your only tool - well, you're making it easier on the rest of us.

• Like 5

Anyone complaining about the quality of a FREE service is more than welcome to go find or develop alternative tools.

I'm personally thankful to Jeff/Ed for doing any updates at all - no doubt they have better uses for their time.  Hopefully those looking a gifthorse in the mouth don't leave them feeling like its a widespread sentiment.

Edited by AirborneAFOL
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Anyone complaining about the quality of a FREE service is more than welcome to go find or develop alternative tools.

I'm personally thankful to Jeff/Ed for doing any updates at all - no doubt they have better uses for their time.  Hopefully those looking a gifthorse in the mouth don't leave them feeling like its a widespread sentiment.

Here's a hint, if a service you use is free, you're not a customer. You're the product.

• Like 4

On 2/26/2016 at 5:17 PM, Zelgazra said:

Meanwhile, the Brickfolio update.....Can you imagine investing in the stock market using values that were 6-8 weeks old? Lol. 

The forum is great and all, but the real tool on this site is the Brickfolio. I had good impressions when I first signed up nearly a year ago, updates were prompt and timely month to month, right up until the site updates started happening at which point updates got derailed. Kind of a bummer really. I eagerly sign on every day and check to see if the Price Guide has been updated. Disappointment over and over. Maybe it's just me or maybe I'm the only one willing to speak up, but why such an excessive delay? It makes sense you might be tied up around Christmas time, but we're well clear of holiday season now. Why can't it happen faster? [Tons and tons of data to manually sift through, I know, you said already, which leads to...] Why aren't you willing to add some helpers to your 1 man crew to help the ever growing community get this valuable data quicker? Without the timely Brickfolio updates (and the data referenced therein), this is just another forum.  

the price guide was updating today quite a few hours ago.  just send off a quick email or a PM and I would be happy to tell you what's going on like quite a few of the other people do instead of posting to the world.  I will try to get the rest of the site categories like CMF and Mixels updated by tomorrow if that is ok with you. 

**I have not done final reviews on all sets yet, I will review everything throughout the day tomorrow.

• Like 3

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the update, one thing, my Mixels seem to have kinda disappeared. Not sure if the value is carrying onto the total, but when I clink into view collection from the dashboard it says that I have 62 mixels, yet when I click into the mixels section or click view entire collection there's no mixels in either.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:02 PM, stephen_rockefeller said:

Yall need to chill the eff out!  I have a truth bomb to drop on all of you...........you don't need the brickfolio to be updated on the hour to know what your sets are worth. There is a filter on ebay called "sold" where you can see how much a set has sold for recently. So stop being so damn lazy and start crunching numbers. You can preface your comments all you want with " this site is so awesome but....." but in the end you just sound like some ungrateful f%$#s! Stop asking about the update. Grow up and do some work for yourself. For everyone else thank you for your patience. Sincerely, 

The super serious grumpy crusty salty MOD

This is pretty much what I was about to say. If you want up to date values, go and find them for yourselves. It's not that difficult! The last few ebay sold prices will give you a very good indication of value if you plan to sell on ebay (the only platform I use), as what it's just sold for is very likely to be what it will sell for if you try your luck, and it's this value that I would suggest should be used to value, as until you sell, your set almost has no value

If you're a flipper you're probably doing this already. If you're a long term holder, why do you need to know so urgently???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sprocket77 said:

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the update, one thing, my Mixels seem to have kinda disappeared. Not sure if the value is carrying onto the total, but when I clink into view collection from the dashboard it says that I have 62 mixels, yet when I click into the mixels section or click view entire collection there's no mixels in either.

I've done some research into this - if you have Mixels listed as Tribes or as complete sets of nine, those have seemingly disappeared from the database.  If you check Brickset, the same thing happened over there, too.

I'm guessing Lego has deleted those from the database, which is why those are no longer there.  You may have to go back and add them in as either individual Mixels (the individuals are still there), or you'll have to add them as a custom sets; depends on how you want to track them.

Thanks for the update.  While I always double check when selling sets vs the current prices on eBay, the brickfolio is a great help in seeing quickly how my investments are doing, where my successes and failures are, and which sets I should focus on selling now.  I always make sure mine is up to date and it is my favorite part of the site.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I've done some research into this - if you have Mixels listed as Tribes or as complete sets of nine, those have seemingly disappeared from the database.  If you check Brickset, the same thing happened over there, too.

I'm guessing Lego has deleted those from the database, which is why those are no longer there.  You may have to go back and add them in as either individual Mixels (the individuals are still there), or you'll have to add them as a custom sets; depends on how you want to track them.

Hi, first of all I have to agree with Deadfraggle - we all should be thankful for what you have given us up to the present, @Ed Mack and @Jeff Mack .

And now for my contribution to the Mixel-problem:

Since I do export my brickfolio data from time to time, I too discovered today that not only all entries of my Mixels are missing but also those of my collectable Minifigs (the Simpsons and the Lego-Movie Series and one minifig from Series 14). The same with "850487-1 Halloween Accessory Set". I had entered all of these sets individually in the past, not as complete sets (didn't even know that there was the possibility).

I just tried to enter the Halloween Accessory Set again, I got the message that I successfully added the set, but when I do a search, there is nothing there.

So it is no use at the moment to re-enter the missing sets (which btw are 87 sets/minifigs and I am not even sure if there could be more, because my last database-download was on 12/23/2015).

Any thoughts?

I don't know why you guys are trying to figure anything out, I already mentioned over the weekend that I have no had time to do the CMFs and Mixels yet, they are not showing in your brickfolios because they don't have values for the last two months.  Yesterday unfortunately took way more time to move the forum server than I had expected, but I am glad that is over now.

I see 850487 just fine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

I don't know why you guys are trying to figure anything out, I already mentioned over the weekend that I have no had time to do the CMFs and Mixels yet, they are not showing in your brickfolios because they don't have values for the last two months.  Yesterday unfortunately took way more time to move the forum server than I had expected, but I am glad that is over now.

I see 850487 just fine.

Jeff, you are right, now I can see it again, too :phew:- of course two of them because I re-entered it before. Interesting!!!

And now some time for coming out: I am obviously not the bright one that I thought I am because it is only now that I understand what CMF stands for: Collectable MiniFigures .... shame on me. :tommy:

Okay, I'll do what I do best ... shut my mouth and wait until the grown-ups have finished their work. :derisive:

Thanks!