Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

Allen, nice job on the review.  Thank you for taking a measured and non-reactionary approach to the review.  I get a little tired reading reviews that pile on this set because of their distaste for the front without a proper discussion of why it was built this way.  To me, getting three car designs in one box more than makes up for the stepped front.

Allen, nice job on the review.  Thank you for taking a measured and non-reactionary approach to the review.  I get a little tired reading reviews that pile on this set because of their distaste for the front without a proper discussion of why it was built this way.  To me, getting three car designs in one box more than makes up for the stepped front.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Just to add my 2 cts: I didn't like the looks of the model, but really liked the packaging. So I ended up buying more than I probably should ;) .

A tad more seriously: Since I do not like the spelling error (imagine all those nephews learning wrong English from my presents), I contacted customer support via webform for replacement parts. Tongue in cheek: I also mentioned the wrong year on the date plate (1955 in the film). It will be interesting to see how they react.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Has there been an update on the spelling issue on the flux capacitor tile?

Will Lego replace/re-issue, or are they just leaving it as it is?

Also, will the set with the wrong spelling be worth more or less in the future than a correct version, or will it not make much difference?

(I've had a quick forum search but not noticed an answer on this, apart from the link to Lego's pre-release acknowledgement of the error- apologies if I've overlooked one though).

Thanks.

History has shown that errors in LEGO sets don't much make a difference in prices for the secondary market. I can't say for sure it will or won't for this set, just going off of previous sets that have been reeleased with mistakes. Who knows maybe there is that one guy/gal that will pay a premium for that tile with the misprinted word.

Personally I don't think the incorrect spelling will hold any significance or any premium value if Lego decides to re-issue the set or offer replacement tiles.

The majority of the members here are collectors as well as investors.  I have not seen comments by any that they would be interested in this or any other Lego "mistake" as a collectible item.  From my own point of view I needed to have a DeLorean in my collection, but I have no desire to have an additional "non-error" version should they do a re-issue.  Besides that the "error" versions are so common that the rare investor that does want one in the future will have no trouble getting it.

Most of the time history tells us that errors like this only make a difference if something either becomes crazy popular or somewhat common knowledge to everyone in the industry. Think if it was somewhat legendary that this happened to all lego fans. In this case I don't see this set being so popular that something like that would matter to someone.

If this happened with the falcon or maybe even the zombies it could matter. But not here

Thanks for the answers. I didn't think it would make too much difference, but wanted to check first. My mum brought one back from her holiday's in US so it's a 'to build model' rather than an investment one, but if value had been more I could have bought another (fixed version) and built that instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching BTTF is not a good thing - makes me want the DeLorean more... if only it weren't so ugly!

get it! it was a really fun build and it can be MOC'ed up a little if you don't like the hood. it is also worth getting for displaying the minifigures. I've added a video camera, dog, and plutonium case to my display and i love it!

Just to add my 2 cts: I didn't like the looks of the model, but really liked the packaging. So I ended up buying more than I probably should ;) .

A tad more seriously: Since I do not like the spelling error (imagine all those nephews learning wrong English from my presents), I contacted customer support via webform for replacement parts. Tongue in cheek: I also mentioned the wrong year on the date plate (1955 in the film). It will be interesting to see how they react.

Apparently the date they've used is the date Lego was patented.

get it! it was a really fun build and it can be MOC'ed up a little if you don't like the hood. it is also worth getting for displaying the minifigures. I've added a video camera, dog, and plutonium case to my display and i love it!

Would defo want to change the hood and the width of the roof and the width of the front bumper. Ultimately it would need to be a couple more studs long too! Am I being too picky?!