Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

• 2 weeks later...

Since the DeLoreans are widely available at the moment (Target, Walmart, and Amazon.com) what's everyone's opinion on its growth potential? I managed to acquire a few sets and is hesitant to add more given how abundant they appeared to be. 

I think those who want it will be buying up now for the most part. Limiting growth down the line. That said, I haven`t bought mine yet, so I may be wrong about that. Potential really is dependant on that in this case, but also the room for growth in the number of fans. If it does experience growth (which it certainly will of some kind) I doubt it will be huge. Maybe years down the line, but that`s only worth it for those who want to hang onto some to find out. Needless to say, I will be purchasing a few just in case. If it doesn`t work out, at least I can build all three models at the same time  :thumbsup:

Since the DeLoreans are widely available at the moment (Target, Walmart, and Amazon.com) what's everyone's opinion on its growth potential? I managed to acquire a few sets and is hesitant to add more given how abundant they appeared to be. 

DNIIM did a blog about this.

http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-396-the-delorean-a-blast-from-the-past-or-a-failure-in-the-future/

This set is selling above RRP on Ebay UK, not sure about the US. I went to buy one from LEGO Shop at Home yesterday but it is OOS until 15 Oct. But my local store had about ten on the shelf. So I will pick up another one next week :)

Out of interest, have there been any other major errors on Lego sets in the past, I know a couple of you have made mention of them?

I just caught this odd one earlier of which I didn't even think about at the time. Read this.

3068bpb313.jpg

"You are far more powerfull than you would ever imagine..."

They spelled powerful wrong. Ha. :wacko: Hardly noticeable really. Here is the part. It was included with only three sets.

• 4 weeks later...

There are many more than 10,000 made. That was the original plan by TLG but they saw the success of the MC set and decided to make millions more lol. The submarine is an anomaly because it was only for sale in Japan. I wouldn't expect any current cuusoo set to reach that price level.

I never knew about that. Thanks for the info.

Listen to Stephen_rockefeller. The question really isn't when to buy, since if you ever plan on buying it for investment purposes is now, since there it's still widely available. I am personally not a huge fan of the BTTF CUUSOO or the Minecraft one, but I do see the appeal both in the products and their investment potential. 

Since you are asking whether or not it will have a long or short run of production, I really don't know how to answer that. LEGO might decide to stick to its original plan of 10,000, but it is doubtful at this point. If they doing go with their original plans, then my guess is that it will retire around late 2014. 

Thanks for all the responses.  When investing, I always take time into consideration.  If I invest $100 into a product today, that I expect to double in value once it reaches EOL:

If the EOL happens in 6 months: $100 annual return

If the EOL happens in 18 months: $50 annual return

I would rather not tie up my money for 18 months buying them now, if it will still be available to buy next year at this time and only tie up those funds for 6 months.  I could use the other 12 months to double those funds flipping some other set.

I just don't want to wait too long and miss out.  (Though, I don't mind missing out as much on smaller sets.)

Guest TabbyBoy

For me, I'm saying "Never" as I suspect 100,000s have been made and I don't like the thing anyway, the scale is too small for it to look anything like a Delorean.

I bought 2 so far, just because I want them for me. Not investment. I don`t know, I everyone who wants one (for the most part) will buy them while they are available, and as such just don`t see large returns later. It won`t flop, but is unlikely to be huge for this very reason. Basically if you want it, like everything else, buy it now. If you want to give it a try as an investment, I`d wait until at least the beginning/middle of next year. My guess is that it will be around then. 

• 3 months later...

I agree with you, but it will take some time. I think Lego has learned their Cuusoo lesson, and these are going to have long shelf lives. At the same time, Minecraft has shown when something goes out of stock the price goes up quickly. Not sure the demand is the same for this, but I still like it. I just haven't stockpiled any yet as I think there's still another couple of years of this on the shelf. 

I`m a huge film buff so this set is one of a very few that have hit close to home with me. As such, I`m buying some every now and again, and will continue to throughout the lifetime of the set. Not because I think it will be a huge winner, though it should do decently well, but because, well, I like it, and it really is personally one set that I`d hate to not have a sizeable stack of once retired. Minecraft I really couldn`t possibly care any less about  :laugh: