Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

Hell, it's about god-dang time! I am certainly very excited to see that the Delorean will become an actual LEGO product. Disappointed about the Modular Western Town and EVE ship. I get that we will be getting LONE RANGER sets next year so there will be a conflict of theme's, but that just blows. The way how their reasoning for the EVE Online "Rifter" ship sounds like the project would have stood a better chance at some other time. Sheesh, if it took them THIS long for the "Summer Reviews", how the heck long are we going to have to wait for the "Fall" AND "Winter" reviews?!

I really wanted to see the Modular Western Town win. I hope that doesn't mean that the UCS Sandcrawler will be rejected because of the same idea.

*sigh* Probably.... Besides being small, the biggest fault with the Zelda project was WAY too many new mould's. The designer could have offered ideas to alter already made parts. Like Link's shield could have been the classic shield with a new print on it, instead of a completely new part.

Hmm... anyone notice the wording for the Western Town? "The Modular Western Town project conflicts with an ongoing project at the LEGO Group." I wonder if they mean something with Lone Ranger (pics of the new sets are floating around the interwebs somewhere). I hope that they introduce a Modular Western building to go with the theme, a la the Haunted House with Monster Fighters.

It will be the Curiosity Rover that wins next. That has a broader appeal as well in addition to being small.

If history repeats itself, definately. First we get a sub (one we've never heard of), then a satelite (again, never heard of). I'll admit that it's a detailed build, but compared to just about every other project and most of the MOC's I've seen, that rover is kinda, well, whatever. I guess I am just really hoping for something that isn't based on a license or some oddball science....thingy.

Even though the next CUUSOO product will be based on a licence and actual car, it gives a little bit of hope for the future of CUUSOO.

I wonder if they mean something with Lone Ranger (pics of the new sets are floating around the interwebs somewhere).

More than likely. Oh, and I've attached pics of all six sets.

Anyway, this CUUSOO "Back to the Future - Delorean" set will be the first one I REALLY want to get my hands on!

I can't wait to get my hands on a Delorean and see if those bastards can do 90! I have a feeling that Lego learned their lesson a bit on Minecraft and will make more of the Delorean, but maybe having them be constantly in/out of stock is part of the strategy. You would have to think there is a much bigger market for Back to the Future than there is for Minecraft. If numbers stay the same as they were for Minecraft, these will be a high dollar item and tough to find. Hopefully the Delorean sells like gangbusters and they do an entire BTTF line someday. Imagine how awesome the Hill Valley town square would be, complete with Doc hanging from a wire... Off topic, but I'm wondering if the Lone Ranger sets will be a one-off theme, or if they will have some staying power. I guess it depends on how the movie does. Either way, those sets are going to be hot hot hot once they go EOL. Every AFOL loves the Old West, it seems. And from the looks of those sets, I need them in my life.

I totally agree with everything you said cvail8.

LONE RANGER will probably end up being another 'one-run' theme just like all the other Disney licenced themes (Toy Story, Prince of Persia, Pirates of the Caribbean). Regardless, those sets look pretty darn good and should do well in the secondary market.

Minecraft has a big following in the Indie community, but the Delorean has mass universal appeal and it's a classic icon in cinematic history. Right up there with KITT from "Knight Rider", the Plymouth Fury from "Christine", and ZZ-Top's "Eliminator" or "Cadzilla". It's possible that LEGO may decide to do sets based on the "Back to the Future" trilogy. Like around the 30th anniversary that will be coming up in a couple of years. Anything would be a major step up from LEGO's own TIME CRUISERS line.

(Man, those were wierd....)

The whole "in & out of stock" game could be LEGO testing the water. You don't want to make a whole lot of something so unique that it turns out only a few people actually want it (or can get it). With the still insane demand for the "Minecraft" set, LEGO is probably figuring a way to step up their game for the future.

I can't wait to get my hands on a Delorean and see if those bastards can do 90!

Hmm, maybe with a little bit of Nitro it can.

Say, what happens to rejected, or non winners? Do they recycle, or start from scratch?

They become "Archived" and serve as a digital tombstone of what will not be. I suppose the designer(s) of such a project could try and make a similiar but different one, but that too will probably become "Archived" just like the other one. (Assuming it doesn't get flat out rejected when submitted.)

I'm hoping that it's not going to be a annoying case of 'only one can pass' when it comes to the review stage. If there wasn't LONE RANGER next year, we could be looking at an impressive Western Town or atleast a derivitive. Talk about lousy timing.

It would be hilarious to have a sticker that says, "Once the model is assembled do not exceed 88mph. Lego cannot be responsible for models that time shift under these conditions."

Ha ha, that would be pretty hilarious!

• 3 weeks later...

I hate Minimates!! However I am very jealous that they have Star Trek and lego does not.

Why the hate? lol

ST actually didn't sell that well. Sucks for Generation fans as their lines were cancelled. Are they giving them another shot?

I read that their 25th Anniversary of BTTF didn't sell that well either and it is the end of the line for them as well.