Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

I think it's an absolutely terribly designed set. Pretty much awful to look at and has very little appeal.

While I can sort of see where you are coming from in regards to the design, I don`t agree with the latter portion of your statement. BTTF is one of the Sci-Fi movies that has defined science fiction as we know it today. Many, many films stream from if and other movies of the time period, SW, Aliens, Blade Runner, etc. I only mention this because it puts into perspective the scale of the fan base that has been created over the last 30+ years. It wouldn`t be much a stretch to say that you`ve (generally) been living under a rock if you haven`t at least heard of BTTF in some context. Combine this with the numerous Lego fans out there and you have an item with significant demand. Obviously, I don`t work for Lego and have not seen the official sales numbers, but even though 21103 doesn`t appear to be on the scale of Minecraft, it looks to be selling quite well (I base this on the availability of the set online, as well as it constantly being in the "Top 25 Best sellers" list on Lego.com/ca, until recently). 

That alone gives the set an appeal, if not for build purposes, for nostalgic, fanboy reasons. So yes, I get that some may not feel that it is a set with much "flare" or "appeal" as you put it in terms of design, but it does the job, and it excels IMHO. Granted it isn`t perfect, there are still some changes/alterations that may have looked/functioned better, but the 3 in 1 options for the set were done quite well overall. 

• Like 2

I think it's an absolutely terribly designed set. Pretty much awful to look at and has very little appeal.

I love it. But more importantly, it has a lot of appeal because it sells like crazy just like Minecraft (maybe not fully to that degree). So it may not have much appeal to you, but obviously does all the way around.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a winner, here in mexico I sold 8 @ $100 dollars each...... I need to get at least 20 of these !!! 

It has been my most profitable set to date...... it is really appealing to people in their 30's .....

I have ask most of the people that bought from me this set, why did they wanted and most of them

bought them for nostalgic reasons/Fans of the movie....

This is a tough call...  I personally like the set quite a bit.  I am a child of the 80's, so naturally this is going to resonate with me.  I love the Doc Brown figure.  They really captured the expression on his face.  I can still picture him doing it when the model car flew off the table and caught fire.

I don't want to be caught without a few of these for retirement, but only a few.  Maybe 4-6.  I really don't see this tripling.  A set with only two minifigs tripling to $105 just seems like a long shot to me.  If it does get that high, it will likely be around Christmas time, and probably several years down the road.  I think this set is on every single investor's radar, so the supply is going to take a long time to dry up.  The price tag is affordable enough that even small time investors are able to get several of these.

But as I said at first, I love this set.  There are probably plenty of others who do too.  The fact that BTTF is still relevant 28 years after it came out bodes very well.  I home I am wrong about my predictions.

I really don't see this tripling.  A set with only two minifigs tripling to $105 just seems like a long shot to me.  If it does get that high, it will likely be around Christmas time, and probably several years down the road.  

Isnt this the only Cuusoo set that has any minifigs at all and also the first one from a movie?   But your citing the number of minifigs interests me.  I've heard it said often that minifigures drive lego investing but I'm not sure how that all works yet.  People certainly aren't paying a premium for the minifigs in a retired train or modular set.  Not trying to be smart, just a newbie trying to "piece" it all together.

Guest TabbyBoy

The car looks like it was designed by the mentally challenged and looks more like a constipated centipede than a car, let alone a Delorean.  However it'll have a cult following and is a good flipper when buying in pre-Xmas sales and churning them out for double-bubble just before Xmas.  I personally hate the monstrosity and will NOT be adding one to my collection.

Isnt this the only Cuusoo set that has any minifigs at all and also the first one from a movie?

First to be based on a movie license (probably the last with the new CUUSOO rule updates) but the second with any minifigures as the Hayabusa included one based on Junichiro Kawaguchi, real-life manager of the original satellite project.

tmp_image.png

• 1 month later...

I have one of these and I put it (boxed) next to my tv near the BTTF Trilogy. I love it! For investment: I agree, the price for this set is kinda low. So almost everyone who wanted this bought it probably. It is easy to stockpile as well. My best friend who is also a big fan did not buy this one yet. I am thinking to buy some when they are on sale. Which never happens in Europe unfortunately. Hopefully in the future. I am looking forward to the Ghostbusters!

• 2 months later...

I've got three. 1 for me, of the 80's and share the birthday of "when" the machine went back in time (Nov, 5)  

2nd one for a friend who's birthday is actually the same day Marty went back in time (Nov, 5 1965)

3rd one for investment.  Most likely pick up more, but not until the end of its cycle.  

I'm not sure I love the set, part of me hopes they remake with a UCS style build, a bit bigger with more detail.  But it is one of my most favorite movies, along with GB...which I will be stockpiling Ecto's for many months to come.