Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

Good question. It appears they have!

Early version with typo.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=120521&colorID=86

Corrected version.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=124298&colorID=86

I wonder if Lego will send people the corrected one. Honestly, the print is so small that it's hard to even read the word, "SHIELD"

What's odd about that is that the typo costs less than the corrected version. Oh well. Lego sent me a replacement but I still use the typo. If you have the typo you can request the fixed version of the part for no charge.

It was amateur night at the jaisonline house. I decided to "work" on (aka FIX") my DeLorean.

Pros :

It looks better to me.

Both minifigs are able to sit in it with the Gullwing styled doors nearly flushed when closed.

The orange hood box from the 3rd film still fits.

I didn't need to add many extra elements. I reused quite a bit from the set.

Cons:

The doors and roof are both still fragile as the produced model. Ugh.

Next steps:

Strengthen the doors at the B pillar

Locate medium gray elements for the bumpers.

Maybe increase the front area (bumper, headlights) 1 extra stud in length.

See if there is a way to connect the A pillars to the roof for stability.

Find more light gray elements for better color matching (I had to rely on dark medium gray and black).

post-3743-14077204052532_thumb.jpg

post-3743-14077204160089_thumb.jpg

post-3743-14077204252858_thumb.jpg

post-3743-14077204325364_thumb.jpg

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

I think a lot of people are negative about the set that are into other Lego. All of my friends that have built it that are actual BTTF, non-lego fans, have had nothing bad to say about it. I don't think its going to impact the investment potential all that much.

I think it looks horrible, but the majority of people who bought it from me are BTTF fans who think it is awesome. It will hold it's own.

I have a personal attraction to this set, though I don`t think it`s by any means the best  investment at this time, it should do well, and honestly I`m more interested in the nostalgia than anything else. I`d love to have a stash of these sets with me 10 years from now, they`re cheap and are awesome. Been buying some every couple months now, just adding to the stash. 

I have a "personal attraction" to this set, though I don`t think it`s by any means the best investment at this time, it should do well, and honestly I`m more interested in the nostalgia than anything else. I`d love to have a stash of these sets with me 10 years from now, they`re cheap and are awesome. Been buying some every couple months now, just adding to the stash.

"personal attraction" is fine. I would have been worried if you typed, "fatal attraction".

I agree about the nostalgia. I still love the films and saying, "hello mcfly" while knocking on someone's head.

The final Lego vehicle is just an ugly duckling.

Too bad I'll never get Masash's off the record opinion about how he really feels about the final product.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for clarifying the misspell brick, I never try to get a replacement brick from Lego, in fact the one I built missed a 1X1 grey brick (I used a spare black one they have in the box to replace it). Ordered two straight from Lego. Guess I will send email and ask them for the replacement process.

For this set's value, I guess if the deadpool minifig by itself can make the Wolverine set a confirmed winner, then the two exclusive minifigs in this BTTF set should be quite attractive too even if the Delorean is not as good as it could be.

• 2 weeks later...

It was amateur night at the jaisonline house. I decided to "work" on (aka FIX") my DeLorean.

Pros :

It looks better to me.

Both minifigs are able to sit in it with the Gullwing styled doors nearly flushed when closed.

The orange hood box from the 3rd film still fits.

I didn't need to add many extra elements. I reused quite a bit from the set.

Cons:

The doors and roof are both still fragile as the produced model. Ugh.

Next steps:

Strengthen the doors at the B pillar

Locate medium gray elements for the bumpers.

Maybe increase the front area (bumper, headlights) 1 extra stud in length.

See if there is a way to connect the A pillars to the roof for stability.

Find more light gray elements for better color matching (I had to rely on dark medium gray and black).

Increase front area is definately positive. 1-2 studs can make a difference.

I think a lot of people are negative about the set that are into other Lego. All of my friends that have built it that are actual BTTF, non-lego fans, have had nothing bad to say about it. I don't think its going to impact the investment potential all that much.

I agree. People like me, who grew up in the 80s and are obsessed with that decade's clearly superior pop culture, will love this set. I think it will really appreaciate after EOL. Where else are you going to get a Doc Brown and Marty minifig? Where else are you going to get a hoverboard, flux capacitor or OUTTATIME license plate piece?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's TOOS, not Sold Out... Though I have to say, it's weird that you can't order it.

Meh. It's the first time I see it in that status. That combined with the very late release of this item to B&M makes me think they finally got rid of all of them. But yes I noticed it was just TOOS, but still.... for me, the Delorean TOOS is the same as EOL :)

@jaisonline:

I really like what you did there!

Any tipps for a newbie where to get this brick you used? I tried ebay with "lego light grey 1x8 door rail" but they all are smaller in design.

Could not find the one you used.

Anyways, small change big effect (as far as I am concerned!)

Thank you.

I found that rail element in the Arkham Asylum Breakout set. Look for it on Bricklink using my search term or look up the AA set

Any tipps for a newbie where to get this brick you used? I tried ebay with "lego light grey 1x8 door rail" but they all are smaller in design. 

Could not find the one you used.

I found that rail element in the Arkham Asylum Breakout set. Look for it on Bricklink using my search term or look up the AA set

Here you go. All sets with the 1x8 rail available in light bluish gray sorted by year starting with the latest down to oldest.