Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

look @ the number of listings @amazon. over 250 sellers :) WOW.. dunno how many more haven't listed any.

do i need to repeat that US market is basically pumped up by resellers hoarding sets. I won't be surprised to see this set @current price for another 1-2 years.

I see. A rough translation into brickpickerese is "Quick, buy buy buy before you lose your chance to be seller 251! PANIC!  :frantics: "

21103 - The Delorean Time Machine = $27.99 (20% off/save $7.00)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00DQC2FPM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=lego+21103&_sacat=0

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=21103

With almost 750 sellers, I tend to agree with newbie77 and think it will be quite a while before this set sees significant gains.

Edited by Soadfan4ever
  • Like 1

I didn't realize half the listings on bricklink were boxes and instructions, so I'll say 600 sellers.

What it`s got going for it is that it will stand the test of time, just like the movies. I own quite a few of these now, ordered more today, mainly because I really love this set. It`s might not be perfect from certain points of view, but it`s an absolute gem to have in the collection, and also for fans of the movie who may not even be into Lego. 

That said, still seems too early to retire. You`de think Lego would want to keep with their 2 year cycle, but who knows. In any case, I`ll continue to buy, it`ll be a great set to have 10 years down the road, which is how long I intend to keep my stash, I am a collector/hoarder first after all haha. 

This is free money at 27.99 if it's gone...hold it til next year Christmas and you'll see $75+

there is nothing like free money in this world. when it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

it might be a popular set but there is a huge supply that needs to be absorbed. it will reach $75 sure but i truly doubt that it will be that soon. yes in 2 year. i.e 2016 x-mas time sure it might then but 2015 little hard for me to digest. there must be at the minimum 7,000 to 10,000 to be sold/absorbed. anywhoo that's just my feeling.

yes, one might want to keep 5-10 but don't bet your house on it or don't expect it to be 6866.

What it`s got going for it is that it will stand the test of time, just like the movies. I own quite a few of these now, ordered more today, mainly because I really love this set. It`s might not be perfect from certain points of view, but it`s an absolute gem to have in the collection, and also for fans of the movie who may not even be into Lego. 

That said, still seems too early to retire. You`de think Lego would want to keep with their 2 year cycle, but who knows. In any case, I`ll continue to buy, it`ll be a great set to have 10 years down the road, which is how long I intend to keep my stash, I am a collector/hoarder first after all haha. 

your storage must be huge. with all those sets you will soon have/need a warehouse :D

Edited by newbie77

you say 600 or so resellers ... i say 315 million people in the US alone (give or take a few million) ... odds our in our favor!

i say of them http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

In August, both the unemployment rate (6.1 percent) and the number of unemployed 
persons (9.6 million) changed little. Over the year, the unemployment rate and 
the number of unemployed persons were down by 1.1 percentage points and 1.7 million, 
respectively. (See table A-1.)

only one of us can be correct lets see who that will be. best case scenario:

2014 Dec: $49 @ amazon

2015 Dec: $67 @ amazon

2016 Dec: $79 @ amazon

thread title should be updated to reflect imminent EOL.

cuusoo/ideas is a no-brainer for investing given the performance so far.

there are lot of resellers because they know this.

basically the investing game is already turning into a storage and waiting game the more and more people doing it.

those who can wait and store will get the most roi.  those who sell early will make $10 or 15  on this set when they sold it at $60ish  bin free shipping this xmas and they have to ship it from boston to oakland.  if lego continues with these movie subtheme of the cuusoo/ideas, this set will see solid gains as the first movie subtheme set.

DeLorean is still CUSOO and not ideas. In what way will that  affect the value?

personally i don't think it will have any impact (in terms of value during next few years) except for some/few people who would like for "CUSOO" sake.

after 10 years :D who knows...

but the set itself has a wide recognition "back to the future" :D .... so, from that perspective this would have better potential than the "exo-suit".

but again there would be someone who would like to build army of green exo-suit and consumer 100s of those :P. all we need is about 100 of those insane builders then again scale would tilt in exo's favor. but so far i am not seeing any :P

Edited by newbie77

DeLorean is still CUSOO and not ideas. In what way will that  affect the value?

cuusoo turned into ideas.

minecraft and delorean and mars rover are all listed under ideas now.

i'm saying that the sets from this cuusoo have performed well so far (Hayabasa, Mars Rover, Minecraft the first year at christmas) and will likely continue to do well based on the relatively limited distribution of the set (e.***. not seen on bigbox store shelves) and also the adult-centered focus.   i guess it depends on your expectations but I am hoping this set will be double msrp a year from now.

future lego completists will want this one like all the rest.

Edited by cladner

These are still available at walmart for $27.99 if anyone feels the need to stock up.   :P

Thanks I bought 10 from walmart today.

I figure I have 26 Exo Suit's and that is 26 too many.  I am returning 10 to walmart (I think) and got 10 of these.

Toys R Us, Amazon, Target and LEGO Shop at Home are out of stock.  Kmart & Walmart have them.  It could be going EOL.

What is everyone's thoughts on how many to stockpile of the 21103 BTTF Car?

this was the only set that is/was discounted (so high) by retailers. so there must be a reason for that right?

newbie I actually got a question for you since you are averse on this and the exo suit.

If you were to keep a stockpile of 6862's or BTTF's or Exo's which one would you want the most.

I know you don't want 2 of the 3, not sure about the other but interested in which one you find the best of the 3 if you were forced to buy...

Thanks I bought 10 from walmart today.

I figure I have 26 Exo Suit's and that is 26 too many.  I am returning 10 to walmart (I think) and got 10 of these.

Toys R Us, Amazon, Target and LEGO Shop at Home are out of stock.  Kmart & Walmart have them.  It could be going EOL.

What is everyone's thoughts on how many to stockpile of the 21103 BTTF Car?