Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

Delorean was the latest and still very available CUSOO set. I think you are very optimistic about the ROI on this one.

i am .  you have to be optimistic if you are going to invest in lego at all.  i also have a 2000 sq foot temperature controlled storage room and abundant patience.  i also have zero expectation to make any profit on a set when its still available for sale at walmart, target, amazon.  its going to take some time to clear out stock but if you have the 24-48 month horizon i think you will be rewarded.  i bought a bunch more of these tonight and now i'm hoping that wm goes out of stock on these and there is a quick clean EOL.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

i am .  you have to be optimistic if you are going to invest in lego at all.  i also have a 2000 sq foot temperature controlled storage room and abundant patience.  i also have zero expectation to make any profit on a set when its still available for sale at walmart, target, amazon.  its going to take some time to clear out stock but if you have the 24-48 month horizon i think you will be rewarded.  i bought a bunch more of these tonight and now i'm hoping that wm goes out of stock on these and there is a quick clean EOL.

Lol its hopeful thinking, but can't imagine the license on this was only 1 year.

However, I would seriously regret not having any.

Does anyone know how many of these come in a case?

3 in a case from walmart. @ least that's what i got.

newbie I actually got a question for you since you are averse on this and the exo suit.

If you were to keep a stockpile of 6862's or BTTF's or Exo's which one would you want the most.

I know you don't want 2 of the 3, not sure about the other but interested in which one you find the best of the 3 if you were forced to buy...

please don't get me wrong. i am not averse to either BTTF (21103) ; EXO-SUIT(21109) or 6862.

with regard to BTTF(21103): mentioning the fact that this is the only discounted CUSSO. so, in my opinion initial hoarding caused TLG to overproduce. although, this has been a popular set; retailers must have had a lot of quantity to move hence they discounted this by 20%. if it was moving in the truckload @ retail then why would they be discounting. discount on this has been like this since March 2014. so, yes this set will do have good return but it won't be as fast as most people might expect. if you can afford to hold for another 2-3 years after retirement yes you would probably 2XRRP.

EXO-SUIT(21109): its also started to show like becoming the delorean i.e. showing signs of it. initial short supply then release from various retailers. quantity of sets released are getting decent. so, it seems like it won't be of short supply. i might be wrong of course. but again my feeling is that this might stay a while which means that we shall see some discounts on this set provided that it stays for another year. so, buying @ retail (in large quantities) might not be a good idea. of course one is playing probability here. i neither have a crystal ball or contacts as some other members of this forum, who claim to make 100% correct call all the time. which by definition is not possible.

6862: its a good set. we are seeing similar remake on the hero factory as well. same layout but different minifigure. if you go to any of the target and look for them you would know what i am talking about. time to buy and hold this set was @ $12.00/set. @19.99 it may be a buy but one has to be prepared to hold for that much longer to sell or get return. if your competition has bought a truck load @ average of $12.00/set then he would be selling it most likely some % of their content @ $36 (that's already 3X for his) but its barely not even 2X your cost. hence you will have to wait out another year. if you get what i mean.

so from my perspective, cost of entry does matter. there is difference to buy @ $12 vs $19. same goes for exo $24.99 vs $34.99 vs $39.99 there is a big difference. and for BTTF $27 vs $34.99 also difference...

I watched BTTF part I and part II last night (for the zillionth time). Lets be fair, the movies are awesome. It is timeless. It is great. wonderful music. I believe it is for every age. A large fanbase. I never met anyone who did not like the movies. 

This set will do good for sure. Just I guess after EOL we need to wait at least 2 X-masses for the stock hoarded by investors to dry up. After that it is cash time.

Edited by Ciglione
  • Like 2

i am .  you have to be optimistic if you are going to invest in lego at all. 

Ehm.... being a bit optimist always helps in life, but I don't agree it helps in investing. I can see with your storage room you don't need to select what you buy. I, with my 7m x 7m insulated attic, do. The only day Delorean will be worth double MSRP is 21 october 2015.

I think the Set is a good thing for quite some investors.

Being small in size and price it's easy to get and to store and I would not be too astonished if it would sell for double retail in a couple of years.

There are good arguments for and against the set (as investment) so I think I don't have to repeat them all over again.

But as there are so many investors (I have the feeling that people are pretty evenly split) in favor for it I'd also say that this is a good sign for the set be able to perform well now and after EOL.

Of course I would not lose all my money on them but rather get just some for my stock.

Too much irony in trying to predict the future of this set.  All I know is I'm betting on the Cubs to win the Series next year!

Picked up a case of 3.  Don't want a ton of these, but don't want to be left out as well.  That movie gave me hope that the Cubs would eventually win the World Series, but a part of me died in '03 when they blew it. 

Picked up a case of 3.  Don't want a ton of these, but don't want to be left out as well.  That movie gave me hope that the Cubs would eventually win the World Series, but a part of me died in '03 when they blew it. 

I've been wondering what does the "case" of 3 mean? It's been mentioned a couple times....

Edited by legokent

I've been wondering what does the "case" of 3 mean? It's been mentioned a couple times....

Original factory sealed box straight from LEGO. For Star Wars battle packs it is 8 to a case and for the Death Star it is one per case.

For example sake this is what one typically looks like, however this is for the Death Star so it is much larger. Minifigure for scale.

3fb14b513ce0e66ead3f439bd446e320.jpg

post-32905-1410621290417_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stevenplays

Whoa! So by ordering 3 for this particular set at Walmart they will send you the stuff in the cool box?

I got one with the death star from LEGO Shop at Home...........and I thought because of its price it was special.  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Getting cases from Walmart.com doesn't ensure getting minty-fresh boxes, as seen with my last order:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/10190-thread-of-packaging-excellence/?p=325593

all the major retailers are sold out of this set with walmart's supply biting the dust earlier today. (yaaaaay!!!!)

i haven't seen this set in a lego store in months.

out of stock but still available for ordering at shop at home at the painful msrp of 34.99 but for how long... 

cheapest on amazon is $50, ebay bin free shipping averaging $40.

let the appreciation begin   continue.

Edited by cladner

all the major retailers are sold out of this set with walmart's supply biting the dust earlier today. (yaaaaay!!!!)

i haven't seen this set in a lego store in months.

out of stock but still available for ordering at shop at home at the painful msrp of 34.99 but for how long... 

cheapest on amazon is $50, ebay bin free shipping averaging $40.

let the appreciation begin   continue.

kmart.com still has it for MSRP. :) buy buy buy

Edited by newbie77