Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

• 2 weeks later...

I've got three. 1 for me, of the 80's and share the birthday of "when" the machine went back in time (Nov, 5)  

2nd one for a friend who's birthday is actually the same day Marty went back in time (Nov, 5 1965)

3rd one for investment.  Most likely pick up more, but not until the end of its cycle.  

I'm not sure I love the set, part of me hopes they remake with a UCS style build, a bit bigger with more detail.  But it is one of my most favorite movies, along with GB...which I will be stockpiling Ecto's for many months to come.

Should be 1955, not 1965.

I also love the movies. I watch them every now and then. They are classics!

I have one MISB in the livingroom near my tv. I will buy others for investment when I find a nice sale. I think when they EOL they will be sought after by newcoming AFOL's and fans of the movies. 

I'm sticking with what Michael J. Fox tweeted after getting a hold of the set.

Maybe he's use to MEGABOKS (both are Canadians, eh) so anything Lego looked "bitchin" to him.

Anyway, $27 paid for this set is awesome. The design is good except for two areas : hood and roof a pillars.

Wish I had $27 BTTF sets. I bought too early in-case it sold out :(

Especially considering how easy it is to mod your DeLorrean to look like the original cuusoo project, just one piece, I don't think it'll turn off that many people.

When I finally crack open one of mine, that is exactly what I'll be doing for the A pillars / roof and hood :)

My kids are 7 and 8. We just watched the trilogy a few weeks ago, and they LOVED it. This movie truly is timeless. I snagged 10 of these from target for $25.xx shortly after they were released. A sale,Redcard discount, and an additional $5 online code coupon brought them down that low. Holding long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

My kids are 7 and 8. We just watched the trilogy a few weeks ago, and they LOVED it. This movie truly is timeless. I snagged 10 of these from target for $25.xx shortly after they were released. A sale,Redcard discount, and an additional $5 online code coupon brought them down that low. Holding long term.

Yup. I bought myself the Blu-ray trilogy set for my own Father's Day present. Let the kids give it to me. Once my son is a tad older, he'll watch it like me. He loved the ghostbusters movie after helping me build the Lego set. We did fast-forward some scenes. I'm pretty sure he'll like BTTF also. It's totally timeless.

I agree that this model could have been improved so much more but I still really think it's awesome.  I just bought 2 more to stock up.  I think in time these will go up in price once they are eol.  BTTF is still relevant and it's been out forever.  I love it and may buy some more.  You can't go wrong for $27.99.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the hood and the A pillar are the worst part, and might be the reason why this set is not as popular as people think it might be. While I understand why they do it that way. I still wonder if there are better alternatives. in comparison the back is nicely done.

I got two of those when it came out, which scored me a mini T1 camper. That is the reason why I do not regret buying them at that time.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to opening one of my 21103 BtTF sets. During the build, I kept thinking why?, why?, why? when I came to hood, A-pillar, and roof steps. There is so much to like about this set but the 3 mentioned sections of the vehicle are beyond being called a fragile Cluster Frak. All the while I'm shaking my head for buying 10 of these at $35 a pop and completing ignoring the 41999 set.

I was able to raise the roof and doors 1 plate height higher to at least allow a minifig to fit inside. I need to go through my spare parts pin to see how I can fix the 3 areas. I suspect my "fixes" will make it closer to the original submission.

Has Lego ever fixed that misspell on the tile?

Good question. It appears they have!

Early version with typo.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=120521&colorID=86

Corrected version.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=124298&colorID=86

I wonder if Lego will send people the corrected one. Honestly, the print is so small that it's hard to even read the word, "SHIELD"

• Like 1