Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

I'm just going to get it for the minifigures. I mean for my own collection. But those minifigures have to be worth something on their own, right? I'm sure collectors and BTTF fans would be interested in buying the minifigs from this set.

I think that is the plan for many of us. Just buy it for the exclusive minifigures and maybe fix the car with some aftermarket modding.

I agree that the design of the Delorean is disappointing. A larger scale with more detail that captures the contours of the exterior would be A LOT more interesting. But maybe the scale had to be limited in order to accommodate a minifigure sitting inside? Remember how crowded the interior of that car was?

That is true. Even BTTF DELOREAN>Orion Pax's minifigure scale version probably did not have room to seat any minifigures. His DELOREAN>UCS version here would have been too big for minfigures but man is it brilliant.

P.S. I think someone mentioned this about the "Destination Time", how it reads 1958 instead of 1955. The video review says 01-28-1958 was printed on the brick instead of 01-28-1955 because 1958 was the year the Lego brick was invented. I would have preferred 1955. Usually Lego in-jokes are on the dot. In this case it's just confusing. The dates ending in "5" (1985, 1955, 2015, 1885) are an iconic detail from the movie. I can just imagine the heated debates and back and forth when TLG was putting this set together. "Do we reference ourselves or the movie? 1955 or 1958? Will people get it? This will define the set! HELP!!!"

A number of people are annoyed with that shameless referance as they put it. I admit it is kind of quirky for a Lego set but does seem a little ridiculous just for the fact it never happened in any of the movies. Plus the part you brought up about the inside joke of each destination date ending in "5".

Is it confirmed that this set is only available through LEGO Shop at Home and in Lego Stores?  I'm thinking it is but not sure if I've seen that confirmed anywhere?

I've never seen any Cuusoo available from a source other than those two. That is, as a primary source.

When I went into the lego store, they were already sold out. They told me they were told to put all Aug 1st releases on the shelf ASAP as the current sales period has been disappointing and they were hoping the early display of new releases would ignite sales before month end. One employee is going to hold me 2 of the BTTF sets but said what others here have said, that there is a strict limit of 2 per person in place for this set.

On another note, seeing all the new CITY sets was very impressive and for the first time, I was tempted to pick up a few of those for myself! Still might...

When I went back to the lego store today, of course, all the back to the future car were already all gone. Not sure what to do with the one I got yesterday yet. Sell it now? or wait?

When I got the minecraft set last year, I sold it right away for $139 buy it now on ebay. Glad that I did because now minecraft is everywhere. It is also constantly in stock in the lego store.

I am not a big investor. I mostly only buy 1 or 2 of the same set for investing purpose.

Got my two sets tonight. My store only got 20 sets. Must not be as many Cuusoo collectors in my area because i seemed to be the only one in there getting these. Or else they are just waiting to get them tomorrow. My two sets have the incorrect spelling of shield on the back for whatever that's worth. I couldn't remember what the other spelling mistake even was to look for it. I like the box they used for it. I wish they would use that style of box for all their sets.