Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

I thought we have been over the sticker thing???

Didn't see it mentioned before.  Doesn't appear that way.

I think this set has the ability to be popular among the adult fan base with young kids, not necessarily AFOL.  I know I'll grab a few just in case.

NonLego peeps will probably think this thing is disgusting, and call us all idiots.

I'm with you, i am a huge fan of BTTF.  But this car, in the set, on a 1-10 scale gets a 4 from me. the minifigures are great!!! and i give them a solid 9.5.  I will buy 5 for an investment though and keep them sealed.

That's $73 US dollars. If that set was that expensive in the U.S. then I would never buy it. I wonder if you could get it shipped from somebody in the U.S. for a cheaper price?

Yeah it will be the only way to go. I actually had hoped to just order them from LEGO Shop at Home, The Minecraft sets were only $49.99 Australian, so I had hoped for something in that vicinity. As ugly as I think the set is, I think it will sell well.

I was the lego store tonight and was surprised to see the Back to the future set along with the other supposed to be Aug 1 release are out already. Not sure how long the back to the future set has been selling at the store. The staff only said they thought it was sold out but found 4 more at the back. Yes the car is ugly.

I was the lego store tonight and was surprised to see the Back to the future set along with the other supposed to be Aug 1 release are out already. Not sure how long the back to the future set has been selling at the store. The staff only said they thought it was sold out but found 4 more at the back. Yes the car is ugly.

That is weird. You would think the LEGO brand stores would be strict about the release date of new sets. (The early releases are probably happening on a store to store basis.) I plan on stopping at the Mall of America LEGO store in the next couple of days and I'll see if they have the August 1st. sets out or not.

Yes, I thought the lego store was strict about release date. I remember one time I saw a new set in Toysrus, and was hoping to get it at the lego store for cheaper. The staff told us they had it at the back but they were not allowed to sell it yet.

All those new City, Friends, Star Wars, Duplo Disney planes etc are already there. They have already completely changed over for the new release and moved things around the store.

After reading that detailed review and seeing those great side by side comparisons, I think the official set looks a lot better than the original cuusoo. Definitely plan on hitting up my lego store if they have it.

I reluctantly agree. The size is more accurate and the greebling is more fetching. But the hood, ye gods... I suppose when I build mine, I'll build the part 3 version with the crate on the hood. Awesome greebling there, too.

There are still serious flaws in the design. The A bars are awkward, especially the 1x1 clips on the hood. And there's a weird gap in the body, below the door near the rear fender. And the wheels are all wrong. And the hood looks like something minifigs would use to get to the second floor.

But it's cool, and now that it's almost here I really wanna build it.

• Like 1

Well, now that we have the car out of the way, how about approving a UCS build of Mr. Fusion?

6234496062_83da3427f1_b.jpg

MR.FUSION>MR.FUSION by Orion Pax, on Flickr

I was JUST going to say I don't see a Mr. Coffee on any of the versions! But then I watched the vid and there it is. There's no printed brick for that one though, so it's hard to tell what it is.

I'm just going to get it for the minifigures. I mean for my own collection. But those minifigures have to be worth something on their own, right? I'm sure collectors and BTTF fans would be interested in buying the minifigs from this set.

I agree that the design of the Delorean is disappointing. A larger scale with more detail that captures the contours of the exterior would be A LOT more interesting. But maybe the scale had to be limited in order to accommodate a minifigure sitting inside? Remember how crowded the interior of that car was?

P.S. I think someone mentioned this about the "Destination Time", how it reads 1958 instead of 1955. The video review says 01-28-1958 was printed on the brick instead of 01-28-1955 because 1958 was the year the Lego brick was invented. I would have preferred 1955. Usually Lego in-jokes are on the dot. In this case it's just confusing. The dates ending in "5" (1985, 1955, 2015, 1885) are an iconic detail from the movie. I can just imagine the heated debates and back and forth when TLG was putting this set together. "Do we reference ourselves or the movie? 1955 or 1958? Will people get it? This will define the set! HELP!!!"

Edited by wholovesboo