70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

17 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Not an attractive display piece? It's my favorite vehicle from the OT.

Mine too actually.  The Sandcrawler is not... attractive, but it's big, rugged, and acts as a tracked RV for Jawas, who are awesome in their own right.

What bugged me about Sea Cow is just... no one would actually build a ship that looked remotely like that.  There was a historical period when sailing ships with steam engines and paddlewheels were employed in European navies, but they were never short, stubby things with giant towering sterns.  Sea Cow is an intentionally goofy design and I can't imagine displaying it, no matter how big it is.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

Mine too actually.  The Sandcrawler is not... attractive, but it's big, rugged, and acts as a tracked RV for Jawas, who are awesome in their own right.

What bugged me about Sea Cow is just... no one would actually build a ship that looked remotely like that.  There was a historical period when sailing ships with steam engines and paddlewheels were employed in European navies, but they were never short, stubby things with giant towering sterns.  Sea Cow is an intentionally goofy design and I can't imagine displaying it, no matter how big it is.

People love Legos. Lego lovers are shameless about what they display. People love boats. Big boats.This is a BIGGG boat. You should probably buy the next big boat.

Its currently at 500 FBA... I'm personally astonished how few sellers there are. This will be interesting to watch.                                   

I will not be buying the next big boat. The secrete has sailed? Ship is out of the harbor? I'm sure someone can add a better pun/play on words.

2 hours ago, biniou said:

The MF Zombies 9465 (year 2012) was a $35 set, I would be more that glad to see the sea cow reaching x5 MSRP ($1250) as quickly even if it means to stagnate at this price. ^^

The zombies set was used only as a comparison for what happens when a set begins to plateau as Ed mentioned could happen sooner than later (it's an unknown).  

• Like 1

The MF Zombies 9465 (year 2012) was a $35 set, I would be more that glad to see the sea cow reaching x5 MSRP ($1250) as quickly even if it means to stagnate at this price. ^^

The zombies set was used only as a comparison for what happens when a set begins to plateau as Ed mentioned could happen sooner than later (it's an unknown).  

This set has "bubble" written all over it. A mini bubble. I thought this set might be good for the market. Maybe not. It might show that investors are paying crazy prices right now so that they don't miss out on the next "it" set. I question how many of these people buying this set right now are end users?

• Like 5

When I saw this set build in a legostore I thought it was impressive. I was wondering why. And came to the conclusion it is only the size that impressed me. The set itself does not impress me by a bit. 

So I did not buy any. Eventhough it could become a hidden gem. I accepted I might miss a good opportunity. Maybe there are investors that thought the same way. But acted differently. And now are buying the ones available just above RRP. I really do not believe there is an end-user market for it. And if there is it will be a handful steampunk fans. So later on it will be a long sit and wait for that one buyer.

So my opinion is there are better options out there. Red-5 is one of them. Cause it seems that no matter how much it was hoarded it sells. And we have 9493 to back that up.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

This set has "bubble" written all over it. A mini bubble. I thought this set might be good for the market. Maybe not. It might show that investors are paying crazy prices right now so that they don't miss out on the next "it" set. I question how many of these people buying this set right now are end users?

I've never been able to wrap my head around this "strategy." Even if Sea Cow increases to 3x RPP (and that's a big if), "investors" paying $400+ now get about the same ROI as those selling to them at markup from RPP. Sometimes you have to admit the proverbial ship has sailed (or steamed away from harbor) and move on to the next. 

It seems like more of a ego-driven investment "strategy" than logical one. 

• Like 1

It´s easy to be sucked in on this forum a) be new to investing with money to invest  b: read all the Tumbler hype  c) read a post from emazers or others about having 50 and this set will be a winner (without knowing their buy-in) d) read another post from Ed about buying at above RRP being fine (not knowing he doesn´t sell sets) and you have the perfect storm.

Meanwhile, those who had good buy-ins can flip for double buy-in and laugh at all the madness.

It´s easy to be sucked in on this forum a) be new to investing with money to invest  b: read all the Tumbler hype  c) read a post from emazers or others about having 50 and this set will be a winner (without knowing their buy-in) d) read another post from Ed about buying at above RRP being fine (not knowing he doesn´t sell sets) and you have the perfect storm.

Meanwhile, those who had good buy-ins can flip for double buy-in and laugh at all the madness.

Buying a set above MSRP is a proven success. My gains are on paper, but they are still legit. Ask me how my Cafe Corner did at $600 or Grand Carousel at $500 or Eiffel Tower at $400 and so on and so forth. I have bought dozens, if not hundreds of sets above retail and most appreciated very well... Well enough to cover fees and costs and make a nice profit. The Sea Cow could be a winner at $400-$500, just like the SSD was a winner at $500-$600, but there is something about this set in general that makes me wonder if it will hit $800-$1000. Maybe. Maybe nobody bought any. I did. Maybe not enough.
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

My gains are on paper, but they are still legit. 

Gains are legit when the sale is successfully completed and the "green" paper is tucked away.

Anything else is just theoretical gains. 

The amount of possible issues in a sale multiplies significantly when it gets over the $500 range which in turn affects those final true gains

22 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Gains are legit when the sale is successfully completed and the "green" paper is tucked away.

The amount of possible issues in a sale multiplies significantly when it gets over the $500 range which in turn affects those final true gains

I´d like to clarify that Ed´s strategy is right for him because he knows what he is doing and has been in the game long enough to have a nose for which sets can be purchased above RRP. His lack of an end game strategy (or one that we know of), however when extrapolated to  horde of Noob investors a recipe for disaster.

I was only giving an example of the small BP community - take it to the next level of the soccer moms and would be empresarios reading mass media articles with no caveats about stinkers that can depreciate and it is even worse.

Edited by valenciaeric

9 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Sure, I understand your point and that is a worthwhile discussion for another thread.  But let's not get too carried away with what could go wrong and shipping/seller issues.  The discussion was about buying sets over MSRP and if these sets are worthwhile choices.  All the gains discussed on this site, for the most part, are theoretical, but people still consider them "real."   

7 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I´d like to clarify that Ed´s strategy is right for him because he knows what he is doing and has been in the game long enough to have a nose for which sets can be purchased above RRP. However, extrapolate that to a Noob investor and it is a recipe for disaster.

I was only giving an example of the small BP community - take it to the next level of the soccer moms and would be empresarios reading mass media articles with no caveats about stinkers that can depreciate and it is even worse.

I agree with you.  If you are uniformed today, that is a recipe for disaster.

5 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Sure, I understand your point and that is a worthwhile discussion for another thread.  But let's not get too carried away with what could go wrong and shipping/seller issues.  The discussion was about buying sets over MSRP and if these sets are worthwhile choices.  All the gains discussed on this site, for the most part, are theoretical, but people still consider them "real."   

I understand that, I know you understand that but there are a lot of others that don't.  Just mentioning it about higher dollar sets as well as a few friends and I have tracked it and the percentages are pretty eye opening especially on Amazon.  

I too buy sets over retail. Not much but if I feel can still make some money will do it.   Bought some SSD last year at 500-600 and did well with that.  

Mainly just throwing 1 more jab into you not selling a set for a bazillion years as well.

Buying retired sets above retail price has been a proofed strategy. I have bought Black Pearls, Space Shuttles, etc. using that tactic. And I do not regret it. Prices went up.

However, with the current retired sets you have to watch out. Cause they are not as scarce as the black pearls and space shuttles. I tried it with ToO. And prices seem to stick at 300 euro max. So I would make only a marginal profit if I would sell them now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I´d like to clarify that Ed´s strategy is right for him because he knows what he is doing and has been in the game long enough to have a nose for which sets can be purchased above RRP. His lack of an end game strategy (or one that we know of), however when extrapolated to  horde of Noob investors a recipe for disaster.

I understand reaching out to all levels of experience is important but can we refrain from stereotyping people? Whether soccers moms are flooding the gates or not I feel like this problem hits most investors and more so new investors in some way.

It´s all about the sets and the market. Here, where Seacows are still available for RRP and below in shops, it makes no sense to pay above RRP for now and I doubt it ever will. The next Lego Movie is not exactly TFA and may bomb even more than the Ghostbusters reboot.

On the other hand, a red 5 above RRP just about makes sense if you are playing the long game as there is consolidated demand for iconic and large OT sets and there will be for years to come, If there isn´t that means we might as well give up on Lego investing.

Paying over RRP for a PS or PC later this year is a tougher one to call. Recent past history suggests there is going to be a long wait involved and that isn´t for everyone.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

I understand that, I know you understand that but there are a lot of others that don't.  Just mentioning it about higher dollar sets as well as a few friends and I have tracked it and the percentages are pretty eye opening especially on Amazon.  

I too buy sets over retail. Not much but if I feel can still make some money will do it.   Bought some SSD last year at 500-600 and did well with that.  

Mainly just throwing 1 more jab into you not selling a set for a bazillion years as well.

It's all about time and lack of it.  Just packaging and shipping the sets to the LEGO raffle winners will be an issue.  LOL. Believe me...I know what's ahead.  For me it's about a "Rainy Day or College Fund."  I am really screwed.