70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

The SeaCow rise is the evidence, that there is a lot of surprises in lego investing world and you cannot predict anything. For me the SeaCow was sh.t - first, its neither a pirate ship, nor steampunk ship, since it looks like a crazy children boat. Second, the licence + figs are worthless, since Lego Movie mania is over and its not interesting for AFOLs. I refused to buy this set, unless it go to discounts, as other Movie sets... For me the winner of Movie sets was Benny spaceship, since it is great, it is a classic space spaceship, and I was able to buy them with nice discounts. But the lego world is crazy, even such crazy set can rise. Same with duplo looking R2-D2, or the popularity of the barbie-doll-house looking death star... On the other hand, wonderfull classic castle sets like Medieval Market or Kingdom joust have horrible slow rise, although are unique and from favourite theme... Really hard job this investment game...

All of the answers are in this post. Read carefully.

The SeaCow rise is the evidence, that there is a lot of surprises in lego investing world and you cannot predict anything. For me the SeaCow was sh.t - first, its neither a pirate ship, nor steampunk ship, since it looks like a crazy children boat. Second, the licence + figs are worthless, since Lego Movie mania is over and its not interesting for AFOLs. I refused to buy this set, unless it go to discounts, as other Movie sets... For me the winner of Movie sets was Benny spaceship, since it is great, it is a classic space spaceship, and I was able to buy them with nice discounts. But the lego world is crazy, even such crazy set can rise. Same with duplo looking R2-D2, or the popularity of the barbie-doll-house looking death star... On the other hand, wonderfull classic castle sets like Medieval Market or Kingdom joust have horrible slow rise, although are unique and from favourite theme... Really hard job this investment game...

Castle sets are basically poor investment.s. It's an old school theme that kids don't relate to...thus the reason NEXO KNIGHTS were created.

• Like 1

As stated many times on these forums, the Sea Cow was either a hit or sh*t. It seems to be a hit and its rapid growth shows the market is still strong. While other investments are tanking, this is a great example of why LEGO investing is still worthwhile if you pick the right sets.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

3 weeks ago: ugliest pirate ship never, its a dud, TLM sucked, it had no screen time. Its a loser! If you buy it your dumb.

Today: I'm sooooo glad I bought some! Awesome steampunk pirate ship! Skies the limit for this one! TLM rocks!!!!!

lol

I'm thinking of buying another one now ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Castle sets are basically poor investment.s. It's an old school theme that kids don't relate to...thus the reason NEXO KNIGHTS were created.

Yeah, Castle sux!!!!!!!! I've barely been able to move all but one 70404 King's Castle this winter for a sweet (not Town Hall, but enough) profit. The sets/shows might not always be that great, but I have a hard time believing Castles, Ninjas, Dinosaurs, Cops & Robbers, etc., ever fall that far out of the minds of youngsters.

• Like 1

for context know not directed at me but the forum in general but yep that is pretty much how it has been

though I never was against it I have one personally mint sealed for me since release

just did not know investment potential and thought down now I wish I had more

fyi the friend on here is not a bp member friend but a very good friend personally

• Like 1

You know why I knew this would do very nice? Because everyone was skipping on it, and had a short life too. Shortest for an exclusive,

name me a pirate ship that didn't do well?

Have to put you in a collector's head, if he have them all, he sure want this one

Edited by TargetZero
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, emazers said:

Like I keep saying why do so many keep waiting and waiting to get a great set until the last minute, now there are many guys on this site that are regretting not getting another great money maker.   Ed

That's why you develop your own, objective strategy, based on what you deem important, as you learn from your past experience, with some input from others and  then you need to stick to it. This stuff in my mind is a marathon. I have been collecting/investing/buying/selling and simply observing the Lego company and the market for 10+ years and have not bought into buying at the tail end of a production run. And yes, I have lost out on some sets that I expected to not do well but for the most part I've done well. Get a plan based on good objectives, and stick to it. 

Edited by Dr. Brick
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Are we really supposed to trust anything from Canada?

what you talking about? 

7 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Are we really supposed to trust anything from Canada?

We are making most of your military stuff, so yes, canada can be trusted with garanti of quality,

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

3 weeks ago: ugliest pirate ship never, its a dud, TLM sucked, it had no screen time. Its a loser! If you buy it your dumb.

Today: I'm sooooo glad I bought some! Awesome steampunk pirate ship! Skies the limit for this one! TLM rocks!!!!!

It is the 2016 version of Town Hall (ugliest modular, boring build, etc etc) :drag: 

• Like 4

Lol, I don't see why people see this has ugly. I mean, I had many pirate ships, and this one is very impressive side by side. details on it etc. its an awsome set 

oh and yes my boy was litteraly WOW, and didn't have this expression with the queen marie and others

Edited by TargetZero
  • Like 3