70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

19 minutes ago, Cravacor said:

Why are BPers generally so bearish on TLM sets? Seems to me the movie was quite popular with non-pros and non-Lego purists. Those people, either just coming in from their Dark Ages, or families with children, seem like a good market with strong demand, especially when TLM 2 drops.

Because we are impatient and want to see instant tangible gains!

The problem with themes like this is they get caught in a no man´s land where they don´t appeal to enough AFOL´s and kids have already forgotten the film and moved on to the next thing - Paw Patrol in 2017 anybody?

If the film launch had been scheduled differently and there had been a shortage of supply before Xmas, as happened with JW, then people would have been happy short term flipping but in the end oversupply has been the enemy.

Lego really needed to create an animated tv  show, computer game series or something to keep it in minds until the next feature film but I guess they didn´t think of our investments when they had the idea.

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Cravacor said:

Why are BPers generally so bearish on TLM sets? Seems to me the movie was quite popular with non-pros and non-Lego purists. Those people, either just coming in from their Dark Ages, or families with children, seem like a good market with strong demand, especially when TLM 2 drops.

#1 As a theme, there's a lot of whimsical design to the sets. That fits well with the character of the movie, but some people just don't care for the look and design of them.

#2 There are no licensed minifigures or sets to drive long term interest in the line. The sequel will help, but are these sets kids are going to be asking  their parents to buy for years to come? Benny's spaceship and Sea Cow have some nice AFOL appeal. Maybe Emmets mech and rescue reinforcements if you like mech type sets. Beyond that, I just dont know.

#3 These sets also seemed to be on the shelf and widely discounted. That makes for some good buy ins, but can also suggest weak demand.

And about the Tumbler, Sandcrawler, SSD, Death Star, Taj Mahal and the spot on the end of my nose!

+2500 piece sets tend to be large and unique but we shouldn´t overvalue that concept unless enough buyers share that viewpoint and want to pay top dollar for the item. Plenty of small and unspectacular sets appreciate nicely too so it´s really a question of demand.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cravacor said:

I like TLM sets.  They are all creative and unique.  Very fun builds.  The Sea Cow is impressive and Benny's Spaceship is just a great set.  

10 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

#1 As a theme, there's a lot of whimsical design to the sets. That fits well with the character of the movie, but some people just don't care for the look and design of them.

#2 There are no licensed minifigures or sets to drive long term interest in the line. The sequel will help, but are these sets kids are going to be asking  their parents to buy for years to come? Benny's spaceship and Sea Cow have some nice AFOL. Maybe Emmets mech and rescue reinforcements if you like mech type sets. Beyond that, I just dont know.

#3 These sets also seemed to be on the shelf and widely discounted. That makes for some good buy ins, but can also suggest weak demand.

Plus TLG didn´t follow the classic movie merchandising plan of hero and antagonist vehicles of the same type (aircraft v aircraft, ship v ship, car v car) or the need to have a big  HQ or battle scene type set (chima and Ninjago temples). As it is, it is more just a stramash of futuristic CITY sets that AFOL´s don´t relate to and kids have forgotten. The didn´t even make a maxi minifig monster (rancor, jabba, Smaug, T-Rex).

58 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

If you haven't seen the Sea Cow in person, you really can't appreciate it. It's one of the most unique sets ever designed and its HUGE .

Nah, seeing the product first hand is not a requirement for stocking up, cf the Tumbler.  Blame (or thank) whoever distracted the horde away from the Sea Cow :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Nah, seeing the product first hand is not a requirement for stocking up, cf the Tumbler.  Blame (or thank) whoever distracted the horde away from the Sea Cow :P

The horde knew.  The horde knew.  There are sets currently they are blowing off as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Nah, seeing the product first hand is not a requirement for stocking up, cf the Tumblers.  Blame (or thank) whoever distracted the horde away from the Sea Cow :P

Considering it poofed in October in the US, I´d blame Haunted House. Tumbler retirement speculation started before it was even released.

Nah, seeing the product first hand is not a requirement for stocking up, cf the Tumbler.  Blame (or thank) whoever distracted the horde away from the Sea Cow

The horde knew.  The horde knew.  There are sets currently they are blowing off as well.

We're good, Hero Factory is still safe.

• Like 3

If you haven't seen the Sea Cow in person, you really can't appreciate it. It's one of the most unique sets ever designed and its HUGE .

Nah, seeing the product first hand is not a requirement for stocking up, cf the Tumbler.  Blame (or thank) whoever distracted the horde away from the Sea Cow

Agreed. I've accumulated sets that I've only seen in the box or on YouTube. But the Sea Cow really caught my eye at the LEGO store when I first saw it. I didn't immediately think about hoarding it, but as a ship collector, I knew I must have it.

Like others have stated I think this is benefiting from being the last and least popular exclusive to "retire" this year (Orthanc, Red 5, Death Star, Tumbler leading the charge). I think it plateaus at $500.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 3:04 PM, emazers said:

Alot of post I read is that most people didn't like the set, would never buy any and its a big dud.

With all due respect, and I mean that -- I do respect your lego investing strategy -- you essentially recommend investment in all large lego exclusives.  Now most sets in that class at least do alright, but there are duds like Arkham Asylum as well, and you recommended that also.

The problem is, as jaisonline writes above, that most of us do not have airplane hangars handy to store our lego stocks, and so must make hard choices.  I'm really surprised by the performance of SC.  It's steampunk, sure.  I love steampunk.  But it's not serious steampunk.  The ship's proportions are ridiculous, the propeller is above the waterline, it's a messy jumble of pieces stuck on all over the place.  Really quite unprecedented for a 'UCS' type set, and based on a kid's movie (I loved it too, but it was clearly aimed at young folks).  I'm amazed that adult collectors would pay $399 for a Sea Cow, preferring it over a Slave I + UCS Tie Fighter, to give just two alternatives for the same cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GhostDad said:

With all due respect, and I mean that -- I do respect your lego investing strategy -- you essentially recommend investment in all large lego exclusives.  Now most sets in that class at least do alright, but there are duds like Arkham Asylum as well, and you recommended that also.

The problem is, as jaisonline writes above, that most of us do not have airplane hangars handy to store our lego stocks, and so must make hard choices.  I'm really surprised by the performance of SC.  It's steampunk, sure.  I love steampunk.  But it's not serious steampunk.  The ship's proportions are ridiculous, the propeller is above the waterline, it's a messy jumble of pieces stuck on all over the place.  Really quite unprecedented for a 'UCS' type set, and based on a kid's movie (I loved it too, but it was clearly aimed at young folks).  I'm amazed that adult collectors would pay $399 for a Sea Cow, preferring it over a Slave I + UCS Tie Fighter, to give just two alternatives for the same cost.

And actually, Slave I and UCS TF are both RRP $199, Sea Cow was RRP $249.

38 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

And actually, Slave I and UCS TF are both RRP $199, Sea Cow was RRP $249.

Correct.  I'm speaking of now, as in 'Who buys Sea Cow for $399 versus various combinations of other large exclusives currently available at MSRP?'  I'm surprised that 1) there are enough wealthy Lego Movie collectors to support the current secondary market price, and 2) given that seems to be the case, where were they for the two months when Sea Cow was sold out at LEGO Shop at Home and obviously retired, but available from Amazon for MSRP?  I can't remember another set behaving that way; taking so long to sell out from online retailers when clearly out of production, then shooting up 60% over MSRP in a week.  R2-D2, to give just one example, sold out from Amazon within a day of selling out on LEGO Shop at Home.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, it's a running gag.

I wasn't rude BTW,  i've read hours on the forum, but maybe i didn't put attention to this

I'm just waiting for gregpj to jump on here calling me a wanker. 

Sorry, was out skiing yesterday or I'd have been here sooner.

For TargetZero - Canada burned down the White House and we used to end up with plenty of retired stock left on the shelves.

For SeaCow thread... Love it but have exactly zero. No space to store or display!

20 hours ago, jaisonline said:

In summary, supply and being hard to bricklink will def help the set's value but i seriously doubt demand will remain high (think The Zombies. once that set hit $200, buyers started to look at other sets due to the price).

The MF Zombies 9465 (year 2012) was a $35 set, I would be more that glad to see the sea cow reaching x5 MSRP ($1250) as quickly even if it means to stagnate at this price. ^^

Edited by biniou