70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

Personally, I think the controversy and the vitriol surrounding this set is awesome. With the lego investing scene much more populated and involved, it makes the whole thing so much more interesting!!!! If everything was hit or miss and we all expected it, then this would be boring. It is the "surprise" whoohoo calls and the "ouch" calls that didn't pan out that makes the whole venture fun. Viva la Brickpickers!

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:44 AM, siddji said:

The sold listings make me happy :)

The first 3 listings didn't actually sell. The first and second ones have been relisted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lego-Movie-70810-MetalBeards-Sea-Cow-Sealed-/181997747504?hash=item2a5fe93d30:g:QacAAOSwX~dWn96l

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-in-Sealed-Box-The-Lego-Movie-70810-Metalbeards-Sea-Cow-/331757418041?hash=item4d3e487639:g:-0oAAOSwGotWnUhE

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, tractorboy said:
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:44 AM, siddji said:

The sold listings make me happy

The first 3 listings didn't actually sell. The first and second ones have been relisted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lego-Movie-70810-MetalBeards-Sea-Cow-Sealed-/181997747504?hash=item2a5fe93d30:g:QacAAOSwX~dWn96l

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-in-Sealed-Box-The-Lego-Movie-70810-Metalbeards-Sea-Cow-/331757418041?hash=item4d3e487639:g:-0oAAOSwGotWnUhE

Actually, one of them was my listing and it did sell but someone copied my listing.

Additionally, I will relist a sold item if I want to change a price on it or don't want to make any changes to the listing.

13 minutes ago, redghostx said:

Actually, one of them was my listing and it did sell but someone copied my listing.

Additionally, I will relist a sold item if I want to change a price on it or don't want to make any changes to the listing.

Ok I see yours now, thanks. Jeez, they stole your photo? How lazy can you get lol.

On 1/31/2015 at 2:41 PM, inversion said:

This is one of the best exclusives in the roster right now. And a ship. A very exquisite one indeed. I am convinced that it will be a gold mine down the line.

Props to inversion for making this call one year ago.  Is this set about to put the Town Hall to shame?

11 hours ago, beatpoppa said:

Just a point re: The obviousness of The Lego Movie being "a kids' movie," and not for adults...

There are very, very few modern wide-release "kids' movies," esp. with a  $60,000,000 budget.

Restore a brand from yesteryear in the hopes of capturing identification from post-13 viewers ('15 ex: Alvin & Chipmunks [win,] Pan [lose] ) or elongate a successful 21-min format brand ('15 ex: Spongebob [win]) are the two en vogue pitches...  99% of "kids-only" long-format media is direct to shelf.

Movies like The Lego Movie may seem like a sure thing in retrospect, but it wasn't.  Pan lost $80MM this year with huge brand recognition, Hugh Jackman, and a recognizable young star.  

Even if you kill it with script & story, you have to get people to show up... to secure distribution channels they had to show a specific, proven plan for how they were going to  get 13-24 yr olds interested, and 24-39 to bring the family.

They cast Morgan Freeman, Chris Pratt, Liam Neeson, and Will Ferrell, then give them hundreds of witty double entendres and callbacks like every other animated feature to get people like me to bring the family... My 4 and 8 year old remember the song... I remember about 100 Star Wars callbacks.

Parents were not just considered, they were counted on.  No parents, no Lego Movie.

I agree about the movie, sort of.  I thought it would be awful, so didn't see it in the theater.  Then rented it and liked it enough to buy a copy.  Once I owned it, though, I realized it was just the opening sequence with Emmet in the beginning that was awesome (which is to say, cleverly disguised political satire posing as a slapstick comedy).  That, and every scene with UniKitty.  The two put together total maybe 10-15 minutes, and they're widely separated, so I found myself just calling up youtube clips when I wanted to show a doubtful adult friend how cool The Lego Movie was, even though I owned the actual movie on DVD.  I could never persuade a childless adult to sit through more than the opening with Emmet.

So I think it's an adult film in the sense that something like The Simpsons is, only without the multidecade history of success with fans.  I was kind of surprised that Warner Brothers okayed a film ridiculing big media and giant corporations.  But to get back on topic, the actual Sea Cow had a tiny role in the film.  No single vehicle got very much screen time.  The set was a gamble, and it paid off.  But I think it ended up being more about low reseller supply and perhaps a bit of bubbliness along the lines of Arkham Asylum, rather than the set itself.  That's not a variable that's easy to predict.  Do you just try and gauge reseller interest by the number of posts in the relevant brickpicker thread?  Those usually don't really take off until after retirement anyway.

I've sold a bunch of different sets in the past, before lego reselling became something that got written up in newspaper articles, that were small enough in terms of reseller supply that I literally ended up being the last US eBay seller for the set in MISB condition.  On average, that last competitor selling out would double the price I received.  It's not like that with Sea Cow, but it sure helps compared with something like ToO.  I had the impression from posts in that thread and general chatter on this site that it was mostly passed up for Pet Shops, Red 5's, and Death Stars, but judging by the number of listings, just about everyone bought at least a couple.  That makes a huge difference.