70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

6 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I would have been all over that.  But, that's in the US market.  I don't know what the market is like where you are.

No BIN sales on ebay EU for over two weeks now. Lowest BIN in that time has been (and still is) €365 plus shipping. Just one auction sale for €334 (RRP €250) plus shipping a few days ago. Worth picking up for €220 I would think, for a €60 flip after fees if you can sell at €334.

8 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

No BIN sales on ebay EU for over two weeks now. Lowest BIN in that time has been (and still is) €365 plus shipping. Just one auction sale for €334 (RRP €250) plus shipping a few days ago. Worth picking up for €220 I would think, for a €60 flip after fees if you can sell at €334.

So that's a worst case scenario, if you needed to flip it today.  So good call.

19 minutes ago, jaxman said:

The market, at least here in the US, certainly sees some appeal in the Sea Cow.  Are you hesitating because you're hung up on regret for not getting them for 176 and now having to pay 220?

I'd be lying if I didn't have a little bit of buyers remorse, but what really has me questioning it is the sales volume. The price for this on ebay is great already, but there's only been three sales in the EU since the start of the year and none in the last 2 weeks, so I'm more questioning the overall demand locally for this.

10 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

So if I procrastinate enough, you'll have swooped them from under my feet :sword:

3 hours ago, Sprocket77 said:

On a serious note, if your choice is this set for €220, which is 12% below RRP here or AT-AT's at RRP, which would you go for. I'm leaning towards the Sea Cow because I've none and I have 5 At-At's, but I passed on these when they were €176, just didn't see the appeal, so I'm doubting myself now.

Trust the force cow!

On 1/20/2016 at 6:58 AM, Ed Mack said:

They missed out because they chose to miss out.  It wasn't like this set just disappeared overnight.  There were plenty of indicators.  The funny thing is this will repeat itself over and over again.  People can't hoard them all and will bad mouth a set if they don't have one.

I kind of agree with what you say. In lego investment, my philosophy is "you miss some sets, you regret but move on", "you sell some sets too early, less profit, you regret but move on","I want some old sets, but too expensive, move on"..... there are lots of "move on" in our life!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sprocket77 said:

I'd be lying if I didn't have a little bit of buyers remorse, but what really has me questioning it is the sales volume. The price for this on ebay is great already, but there's only been three sales in the EU since the start of the year and none in the last 2 weeks, so I'm more questioning the overall demand locally for this.

So if I procrastinate enough, you'll have swooped them from under my feet :sword:

Unless you believe the PS rumours, it´s unlikely any set is going to retire till at least May, if not June so all of those sets are fair game right now. It´s true that Seacow European sales on Ebay are horrendous but even I have one, just in case.

32 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Unless you believe the PS rumours, it´s unlikely any set is going to retire till at least May, if not June so all of those sets are fair game right now. It´s true that Seacow European sales on Ebay are horrendous but even I have one, just in case.

It might be something about the Europeans not understanding the premise of "The LEGO Movie", but I'm not sure.

29 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

It might be something about the Europeans not understanding the premise of "The LEGO Movie", but I'm not sure.

Not understanding TLM is equivalent to not understanding the Matrix.

I am not really sure if I understood the Matrix... It does not mean I did not like it though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MathBuilder said:

Not understanding TLM is equivalent to not understanding the Matrix.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If that's true I guess I'll stop trying to figure out why pine cones sound purple...

I can definitely imagine a huge cultural gap in appreciation for the movie, however. It's break-neck insanity and sarcasm, tons of ridiculousness hiding some deep down ideals worth digging up and fighting for... just like the good ol' USA.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, steveviscious89 said:

I think it can be understood....but not necessarily agreed with. My child will have their OWN legos and leave mine the heck alone...lol

My son wants me to KRAGL them, so I stop getting mad when I have to spend an hour putting something back together.

• Like 3

On January 27, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Val-E said:

I'd be shocked if anymore exclusives retire this year.  I think most of what remains will be around until next year.  Sure, some may go in and out of stock here and there, but should be obtainable at some point until around October/November.  But, I do think there are a few sets that could be the next Sea Cow next year… It seems that everyone and their mother were buying Red5's and Tumblers last year and into this year, that they left sets like this go by the wayside.  Thats obviously always a lesson.  I guarantee at the end of the year, we'll be seeing "just bought 5 slave 1 posts every 10 minutes, or just "cleared out my lego store of parisian restaurants, pet shops, or palace cinemas" that some other set will just go, and the horde will be like "oohhh that set has no chance, it's lame because blah blah blah".  And of course, it will be the best one of the bunch because few horded it, and in the end there was demand for it because in a world of 7 billion people there's always a variety of tastes and desires.  I personally, always felt Sea Cow was one of the coolest looking sets made.  It may not be everyone's taste, but it is a wild crazy and awesome set.  Well worthy of parting many people from their cash.

Regardless, I guess this is why it's always good to diversify too.  Maybe instead of everyone buying 20 red 5s, some should have maybe cut back on that and bought a few sea cows, but then again if everyone did that, maybe that would limit it's growth since there would be more in the aftermarket. 

So follow the horde!  It is always right :P  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MathBuilder said:

Maybe a house or a convenience store. 

Personally, I'm staying away from those..  The minifigure line gave me enough insight into that series.  I think you really can't judge what those sets might be until they are either near, or at EOL.  Because at any moment the horde can activate and diminish any sets potential.  November of next year will be more telling, than today.

• Like 1